U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area
 [Register]
Fort Lauderdale area Broward County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2010, 11:15 AM

4 posts, read 8,231 times

Advertisements

Hello Everyone,
My employer is offering a job in Ft. Lauderdale (near Exec. Airport). My spouse and I are contemplating if I should accept it or not. We are worried about the kids' education, although they are still young. (3 years old and 4 years old). I read that the education in South Florida is not comparable to the education being offered here in NY, which we are not that impressed as it is. I read that American Heritage is a very good school, but I do not think we can afford it.

Questions:
1. What are the good private schools (Pre-k to highschool if possible) near Plantation, Weston, Cooper City or Ft. Lauderdale? These are the cities where we are looking to live.

2. How much does a private school usually costs?

3. Are there companies around Ft. Lauderdale who provide day care?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2010, 11:55 AM

4,292 posts, read 6,431,581 times
3. Probably JM Family Enterprises (in Deerfield, which is not too far from the Fort Lauderdale Executive airport) - they are the largest Toyota/Lexus distributor in South East, also they write extended warranties.

Old 08-29-2010, 11:56 AM

4,292 posts, read 6,431,581 times
FWIW, I commute from Weston to the executive airport area. We have good schools in Weston. Commute is about 40 minutes.

Old 08-29-2010, 04:25 PM

2,517 posts, read 10,215,673 times
choose very carefully and you will chose wisely. West Davie has great schools as does Weston and cooper city. Stick with those (3) and you will be fine. Private school is not needed. I was in private school all my life and all I saw was more $$ for drug money and more sophisticated crime. Your kids will do what YOU teach them, it's about good parenting. Schools have little influence. Trust me.

Old 08-29-2010, 06:51 PM

Thank you heydade for your response. We are planning on looking at Cooper City, West Davie and Weston. I guess we still have to visit the schools as well. Thanks again!

Old 08-29-2010, 06:54 PM

Thank you Ruski. The 40 mnts. is both ways during rush hour, right?
Thanks!

Old 08-30-2010, 04:13 PM

789 posts, read 2,355,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moonface View Post
Hello Everyone,
My employer is offering a job in Ft. Lauderdale (near Exec. Airport). My spouse and I are contemplating if I should accept it or not. We are worried about the kids' education, although they are still young. (3 years old and 4 years old). I read that the education in South Florida is not comparable to the education being offered here in NY, which we are not that impressed as it is. I read that American Heritage is a very good school, but I do not think we can afford it.

Questions:
1. What are the good private schools (Pre-k to highschool if possible) near Plantation, Weston, Cooper City or Ft. Lauderdale? These are the cities where we are looking to live.

2. How much does a private school usually costs?

3. Are there companies around Ft. Lauderdale who provide day care?
American Heritage

$$ American Heritage School

Old 08-30-2010, 05:55 PM

2,763 posts, read 6,199,079 times
American Heritage - if you feel like sending your kids to Harvard for grade school - it is about 30K a year. That being said it is a great school. i just relocated from NY in May and to say that the adjustment has been hard would be an understatement. I don't know what part of NY you are relocating from but if you give us that information, I can better tell you which area may be better for you. I can tell you with out question that Cooper City and Weston have the BEST Schools in Broward period - Weston's scores are better than Cooper City but CC doesn't lag far behind that - then there is Pembroke Pines - the west part - that has really good schools as well - it must be a big secret because NO ONE suggests it as a place to live ever! But I personally like it a lot better than I like Cooper City - very diverse, lots of shops and nice affordable homes. If you are from Queens or Brooklyn, this may be the place for you unless of course you are from Howard Beach then, maybe not so much. But there is a certain edge that NYers share and while Pembroke Pines doesn't quite have it, it is as close as you are going to get in Broward in my opinion. Weston is beautiful - and I mean stunning - I just don't get that warm fuzzy feeling there - I wish I did, but I don't. Either place is just very bland to me - Cooper City and/or Weston - bland, bland, bland - but school has started and I am adjusting a little better meeting people through the kids baseball which is nice.

Old 08-31-2010, 04:30 PM

789 posts, read 2,355,460 times
^ it's not 30k a year - my buddy isn't paying anywhere close to that for his daughter who is in 5 grade, who btw is already sourcing collleges..lol. That has to be coming out of the enviroment she's in.

Old 08-31-2010, 06:56 PM

469 posts, read 1,213,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyc View Post
^ it's not 30k a year - my buddy isn't paying anywhere close to that for his daughter who is in 5 grade, who btw is already sourcing collleges..lol. That has to be coming out of the enviroment she's in.
Does a 5th grader really need to worry about that? I think Chelz meant for both kids since they are only 1year apart tuition will be that much
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or