Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area
 [Register]
Fort Lauderdale area Broward County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2010, 02:59 PM

8,963 posts, read 8,911,705 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiknapster View Post
That's your stereotypical opinion. I saw more racists living in Fort Myers, Florida than I have ever, ever met in Knoxville, TN. In fact, I found more in Massachusetts. There weren't many, but there were a few.

In Fort Myers they would drop the "N" bomb like it was normal and we were suppose to agree with it. I waited on a customer that pulled that one time and I stopped everything and told him, "Look buddy. I will not even wait on you until you clean up the language. New day, new way, and just because I am white, don't assume I am prejudiced." I think I gave him a scare.

My husband is from The Midwest and he says The Midwest if full of racists and he jus doesn't see that here like he did in swFlorida.

You don't see it around here. I think people learned how to get along with one another a long time ago.

No. Of course not every single person is nicer in The South. But generally speaking, the day-to-day events are much more pleasant. It is a pure joy to chat with people while waiting in line, be waved at by strangers and let into traffic by people over and over again, all day long. Most people do not believe it until they actually see it.

I believe it. I see it here in NC everyday, literally. But some folks just dont seem to think that it's possible or that it is somehow "fake" since it doesnt happen in S FL (not talking about you Chelsa, just saying in general). All my neighbors wave at me - they dont have to. But I like it and I appreciate it. Very few unless we really knew them did that in Orlando. In Orlando, we'd wave at people, and seriously Chelsa, some people would not wave back. Talk about strange. The real South is still alive and well, and unfortunately it is absent in many places in FL.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2010, 03:02 PM

I agree Hiknapster, I think Chelsa is awesome. But like we've both said many times, there's something about S FL that attracts a lot of bad apples.

Old 09-07-2010, 03:36 PM

3,769 posts, read 8,796,320 times
Its not new - But - maybe its the heat and humidity.

Old 09-07-2010, 03:46 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,262,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ComSense View Post
I believe it. I see it here in NC everyday, literally. But some folks just dont seem to think that it's possible or that it is somehow "fake" since it doesnt happen in S FL (not talking about you Chelsa, just saying in general). All my neighbors wave at me - they dont have to. But I like it and I appreciate it. Very few unless we really knew them did that in Orlando. In Orlando, we'd wave at people, and seriously Chelsa, some people would not wave back. Talk about strange. The real South is still alive and well, and unfortunately it is absent in many places in FL.
I know. I had someone from Florida once tell me that I was just lying. Simple as that. No place is "Pleasantville" she said. Well, that's true. No place is Pleasantville but there are places on the face of the earth where people act I whole lot nicer. Sorry, but they do.

When my in-laws came to visit they were blown away by how nice people are up here. They had never seen anything like here.

Someone on the forum a long, long time ago said that everywhere is the same. You get up, go to work, come home, go to sleep, wake up and do it all over again. That part is true. But the drive to work, stopping at the grocery store, waiting in line at the bank, driving down your street as you come home can become truly delightful experiences. When I lived in Fort Myers those little things became things I dreaded doing. People were so hostile and aggressive. I grew tired of getting cussed out all the time. It was ridiculous.

I understand what you are saying regarding other cultures, Chelsa. I knew a lady from Haiti that moved to Orlando and was very pushy. She said you had to be just to get a seat on a bus.

But I feel bad for people that have never lived among genuinely nice people. I am quite sure that where I live cannot be the only place where people are nice to one another. Or where ComSense lives.

Old 09-07-2010, 05:12 PM

That's Orlando's problem too. Too many different cultures and too many people who .........dont care how things are done in America/the South, they're going to go about it their way, and sometimes its not friendly or the "norm"........ is the only way I know how to put it.

Old 09-07-2010, 09:13 PM

75 posts, read 175,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StilltheSame View Post
Its not new - But - maybe its the heat and humidity.
HEAT AND HUMIDITY...ummm i think thats a no...because there are many areas with the same heat and humidity and they dont act like this..even some of the poorer countries have some type of respect for each other.

I think most of it also have to do with the keep up with the joneses attitude that is prevelant in the are also..that should be a factor...i forgot to add that.

Old 09-08-2010, 07:04 AM

2,764 posts, read 6,763,584 times
Quote:
Well, I'm sorry about someone being rude to you or calling you a "half-breed." What the heck is that, anyway? You are correct. Weird. I know Cher had a song long before your time. I think it meant native American.

I don't know a thing about North Carolina other than it does have a lot of transplants and that is why I steered clear of it. My area has some of the most wonderful people. Not everyone is nasty, everywhere, I promise you and holding an entire region accountable is unfair.

My dad was born in The Bronx and half my family are New Yorkers. No one is simpler down here. Life is just as complicated and the people are just as intelligent. But people have manners.

Don't get me wrong, so does my New York family. Everyone is polite and I think New Yorkers are very polite. But there seems to be something about south Florida that attracts a lot of people that are self-centered and have problems playing with others. Sometimes I wonder if there are a lot of people that are running because they don't get along with others and end of moving to Florida. That's very unscientific guess, though, so pardon me for pontificating out loud.

I hope things get better for you Chelsa. You are one of the good ones.
Thanks hik - I do understand what you are saying - and I knew when pushed send I should have said something other than simple because that can be taken in so many ways - I meant simple as in simplistic not simple meaning not as smart - but I gather that you understood that and were probably clarifying for others - thank you for that - I don't want people thinking that is what I meant, it isn't at all -

Let me rephrase my experience here - while I have been fortunate enough to have had good experiences with people here being nice and genuine I have seen and heard some really bad things and I guess I just wasn't expecting it - in NYC you learn to live with your guard up so, you are ready at a moments notice to defend yourself or what ever the case calls for. You may find that you never have to be nasty but if the occassion calls for it you wouldn't hesitate and I guess I didn't expect that in South Florida, I certainly didn't expect the people to be any worse than those in NYC. I'm a genuine person - I am not the nicest but when I like you, you may think I am LOL - I am a friend you want and an enemy you never want to have - that is both good an bad because of course when you do get my crabby side people are like oh that is the NYer in her - perhaps - but I think the better answer is to the other person "I was being a jerk and she really gave me what I had coming." I just think that you can run into this where ever you are in the WORLD - but I will concede that there are places that have more nasty people per capita than others and I will be the first to say that NYC is probably one of those places as well as South Florida.

When I used to visit the Carolinas there weren't many transplants - there were only natives there it was a nice simple place to live. People could still live on one income - moms stayed home or worked real part-time jobs that allowed them to be at home with kids after school - just a much simpler life all around - I loved it - I wish I could live that life now!

I think half-breed is the mixing of two races at least I think. It was meant to be offensive and I was very offended and so was my mother, lets just say after my mother was done with that lady she probably never called another kid that again in her life LOL.

Old 09-08-2010, 07:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComSense View Post
Your right - but I guess living in NY for so long I didn't wave at people I don't know so, I don't find it particularly strange for people not to wave at me if they don't know me. I'm a friendly person so, if someone waved at me regardless of whether I knew them or not I'd probably wave back but I'd be thinking who is this person do I know them LOL. There is definitely something to be said for southern charm! Part of me thinks I'd do well in a place like Alabama but then I think I am barely surviving in Cooper City - I might hang myself there. But I think people would be a lot more social in Alabama than Cooper City - just my thoughts. I also like the walkablity of southern towns - there is virtually no walkability here and if there was where do you walk to - there is no corner store to by penny candy or a soda - what happened to all of this? God, I feel old!

Old 09-08-2010, 07:18 AM

Quote:
I know. I had someone from Florida once tell me that I was just lying. Simple as that. No place is "Pleasantville" she said. Well, that's true. No place is Pleasantville but there are places on the face of the earth where people act I whole lot nicer. Sorry, but they do.

When my in-laws came to visit they were blown away by how nice people are up here. They had never seen anything like here.

Someone on the forum a long, long time ago said that everywhere is the same. You get up, go to work, come home, go to sleep, wake up and do it all over again. That part is true. But the drive to work, stopping at the grocery store, waiting in line at the bank, driving down your street as you come home can become truly delightful experiences. When I lived in Fort Myers those little things became things I dreaded doing. People were so hostile and aggressive. I grew tired of getting cussed out all the time. It was ridiculous.

I understand what you are saying regarding other cultures, Chelsa. I knew a lady from Haiti that moved to Orlando and was very pushy. She said you had to be just to get a seat on a bus.

But I feel bad for people that have never lived among genuinely nice people. I am quite sure that where I live cannot be the only place where people are nice to one another. Or where ComSense lives.
Hik, I didn't realize you live in Tennessee LOL - my mom does too - she never, ever wants to go back to NYC except to visit. I don't think she will ever lose her NY accent though. People are very nice there but you have to admit that there are a lot of people there that just arent as edgy as a nyer or even as a South Floridian lets say - I don't want to say anything else because it will sound mean and that isn't my point but there were times even here in Florida where I find myself saying "seriously, we are not discussing this, this can not be the question you are asking me" - but yes, we were talking about these things that were either so blatantly clear that my 8 year old could understand or things that were just completely inappropriate like my salary - who asks someone how much they make? How do you ask a question like that to someone you don't know? However, I take the stance that some people simply don't know what is okay or not okay to say so, I don't get angry but I am taken aback - I must admit. However, like you said "I'm one of the good ones" - perhaps I only surround myself with good eggs - sheltering me from the ignoramuses out there. I like it that way - I don't want constant exposure to that - I want to stay positive and believe that better is out there.

Old 09-08-2010, 07:23 AM

6,993 posts, read 17,359,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chelsa1075 View Post
No more so than in LA or NY or Boston or Chicago or any city with international activity - it is the "all about me" syndrome. soon no one will be able to hide from it - it will reach all corners of the earth!
Chelsa I am from NYC and have been to Chicago. They are NOTHING like here. You have real communities in those places. People know their neighbors and there are more social activities and events going on. People trying to blame NYers or anyone else for the state of s. florida are misguided in their judgments (not talking about you). South Florida is VERY transient, thats what happens in a place like this when no one stays for long or moves around a lot with in the city/state/out of state. You never develop a real community. I think as things get worse people will be stuck in their place and this may then force things to change.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area