Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area
 [Register]
Fort Lauderdale area Broward County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2010, 04:55 PM

75 posts, read 175,192 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nolefan34 View Post
I think there are multiple issues at play here. Reasons why South FL is perceived as RUDE compared to other areas of the country:

1. Large population- S. FL used to be much smaller. Now it is a top-10 metro area in population. Usually larger cities are less friendly than smaller towns or suburbs.

2. NY'ers- There are lots of ex-NY'ers here. NY'ers don't say hi in elevators and stairwells like Southerners do. They also live life at a much faster pace. Doesn't mean they are bad people or inferior. Lots of NY'ers are very nice, you just have to approach them differently.

3. Foreigners- Large influx of immigrants from other countries. Immigrants feel isolated from more Americanized citizens due to the cultural or language barriers. So they are very distant and don't say hi to people on the streets.

4. Crime- South FL has a very high amount of scam artists, conmen, lawyers, bums, snobby rich people, and others who are out to get you. As a defense mechanism, many people simply do not talk to strangers on the streets and just go about their business. I realize there is crime everywhere, but you do not encounter this level of these things elsewhere in the South.

These 4 factors are all at play in South FL more-so than most places. But I see this happening lots of places in America. I think there has been a general decline in social morals in society. It isn't isolated to South FL, but it is pronounced here. There is a new attitude in America that has developed in recent decades that you don't have to be nice to strangers or other people in society. It is becoming more and more acceptable to behave rudely in public. To tell somebody to *#%^ off is now acceptable behavior in most arenas. 30-40 years ago that would hardly every happen. The problem stems from a lack of sense of community. It started with the Individualism movement in America. The government perpetuated this problem in recent administrations by isolating people from one another. Things like defunding schools to privatize them and destroying labor unions are just another attempt to destroy communities and make every man out for himself. It isn't a Republican or Democrat problem. Both sides are contributing equally.
great answer to my post..i think this covers it...Im a FSU ALUMNI and I cant wait for the game this weekend. Thanks for sharing this answer. These are probably the main reason why I wont be moving back to Fort Lauderdale where I grew up and most of my family still lives there. I'd rather move to a new city by my self than go through all the stuff that I went through growing up in South Fla.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2010, 03:51 PM

17 posts, read 28,282 times
I just moved here from Austin, TX. I have traveled the world/nation extensively.

Overall I have met very nice people here in Broward area, my neighbors (Wilton Manors) are friendly enough. The traffic is actually not as insane as I expected it to be and most retail clerks are not bad...at least to me. South Florida reminds me of living in Houston, a very large metropolitan area where of course the dynamic is going to be very different from small town America. I even find the New Yorkers/Northeastern people to be fine, they just have a different accent and way of acting - but I don't find them hostile.

My own overtly negative observation is the worst offenders in rudeness are these ghetto/gangsta people that drive a crappy car all jacked up or purposely stand in the aisles at Walgreens blocking the way of others while they snap their gum and stare at the shelves. There is definitely a sub-set of nasty, pushy, rude "animals" roaming around here...again probably true of any large metro area...NYC, Chicago, LA...etc

Old 09-11-2010, 07:40 AM

2,113 posts, read 5,074,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ausguy View Post
I just moved here from Austin, TX. I have traveled the world/nation extensively.

Overall I have met very nice people here in Broward area, my neighbors (Wilton Manors) are friendly enough. The traffic is actually not as insane as I expected it to be and most retail clerks are not bad...at least to me. South Florida reminds me of living in Houston, a very large metropolitan area where of course the dynamic is going to be very different from small town America. I even find the New Yorkers/Northeastern people to be fine, they just have a different accent and way of acting - but I don't find them hostile.

My own overtly negative observation is the worst offenders in rudeness are these ghetto/gangsta people that drive a crappy car all jacked up or purposely stand in the aisles at Walgreens blocking the way of others while they snap their gum and stare at the shelves. There is definitely a sub-set of nasty, pushy, rude "animals" roaming around here...again probably true of any large metro area...NYC, Chicago, LA...etc
Agree with your post .... I have been down here for fifteen years and find most people to be friendly ... you have your exceptions , but if treated with respect and courtesy most people will treat you the same way ... my issues down here as you say is with the "ghetto" culture displayed by blacks , whites and hispanics ... it is out of control in most of South Florida .

Old 09-12-2010, 06:35 PM

242 posts, read 315,332 times
The "me first" attitude is very prevalent here, probably more so in Miami-Dade than Broward though (in general). It really doesn't pertain to just one or two ethnic groups - it's across the board and after all the years of living here, it still baffles me.

South Florida just seems to attract very self-centered people. People come here to party and to be loud and expressive. There's no need to give a rat's a** about anyone because few places have a sense of community. Miami itself is world famous for superficiality and a culture of pure materialism, so it's no surprise that it would attract people who would go for that lifestyle. Image is very important to people (much more so than other places), so they'll max themselves out buying flashy cars, expensive clothes, while often still living with their parents, or by racking up tons of credit card debt (this is one of the main reasons why Miami has the highest ratio of credit card debt vs. income in the United States).

This is a very ruthless place where people will literally get rich or die trying (or just break the law). There's a lot of shady business and a lot of companies and individuals just waiting to rip you off, should you show any sign of weakness. This is why living here is often a battle, i.e. you have to literally fight with people to get anywhere, along with put up with awful customer service and rudeness.

I've also observed that the "ghetto culture" which Rock mentioned isn't specific to any particular ethnic group, nor any particular income bracket. I've seen rich and poor people here act classless and without any sense of manners, culture or respect for other human beings. People tend to act like teenagers here, complete with a huge sense of entitlement and that "I can do whatever I want to whoever I want" attitude that simply stinks and would not fly anywhere *but* here, where it is socially acceptable to act like an *******.

Still, some people will put up with all of the above because the benefits of living here outweigh the negatives. Personally, I see a lot of it as completely inexcusable and unnecessary, but I don't exactly lose sleep over it. Let's just say that I won't be spending much more time here though because I could simply do without the unnecessary stress of dealing with a large % of people who simply do not give a rat's a** about anyone but themselves.

Old 09-12-2010, 08:17 PM

157 posts, read 600,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fauve View Post
It's ironic because you think it would be more omnipresent in third world countries where survival is so much tougher. The culture of a place seems to often define it and the older the country and culture, the seemingly more it is based in community. I hope this "me-first" attitude doesn't become America's greatest export.
Fauve, you are actually correct in your thinking, I've been to every Country in South America and I can tell you people are extremely friendly, they have a great sense of community, neighbors not only know but help each other...so I can tell you for sure the me-syndrome has not been imported from immigrants of 3rd world countries.
I honestly believe the American Dream is the reason, people in the larger cities come from all different places including U.S. with the American Dream in mind, they are focused on making money and nothing else so get out of the way! I've travelled to many places in europe also and have not found people to be rude or egocentric at all! But Miami or Florida in general is known for being a transient area, people move a lot, they come and go, I went to NC for 5 years for work and when I came back everybody I knew was gone!
That's my opinion.

Old 09-12-2010, 09:46 PM

49 posts, read 133,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chelsa1075 View Post
Your right - but I guess living in NY for so long I didn't wave at people I don't know so, I don't find it particularly strange for people not to wave at me if they don't know me. I'm a friendly person so, if someone waved at me regardless of whether I knew them or not I'd probably wave back but I'd be thinking who is this person do I know them LOL. There is definitely something to be said for southern charm! Part of me thinks I'd do well in a place like Alabama but then I think I am barely surviving in Cooper City - I might hang myself there. But I think people would be a lot more social in Alabama than Cooper City - just my thoughts. I also like the walkablity of southern towns - there is virtually no walkability here and if there was where do you walk to - there is no corner store to by penny candy or a soda - what happened to all of this? God, I feel old!
NO!! People in Alabama are NOT friendly!! I live in Northern Alabama, right now and I tell you people are NOT friendly here!!

I've lived in a lot of major cities here in the US and out of all of them, I met the friendlist people in Miami, Florida. People would just come up to me on the streets and make friendly conversation with me everyday and I mean everyday. People are not as friendly in Broward county, but still more friendly than the people in this area of Alabama!!

Old 09-13-2010, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Your.Decision View Post
The "me first" attitude is very prevalent here, probably more so in Miami-Dade than Broward though (in general). It really doesn't pertain to just one or two ethnic groups - it's across the board and after all the years of living here, it still baffles me.

South Florida just seems to attract very self-centered people. People come here to party and to be loud and expressive. There's no need to give a rat's a** about anyone because few places have a sense of community. Miami itself is world famous for superficiality and a culture of pure materialism, so it's no surprise that it would attract people who would go for that lifestyle. Image is very important to people (much more so than other places), so they'll max themselves out buying flashy cars, expensive clothes, while often still living with their parents, or by racking up tons of credit card debt (this is one of the main reasons why Miami has the highest ratio of credit card debt vs. income in the United States).

This is a very ruthless place where people will literally get rich or die trying (or just break the law). There's a lot of shady business and a lot of companies and individuals just waiting to rip you off, should you show any sign of weakness. This is why living here is often a battle, i.e. you have to literally fight with people to get anywhere, along with put up with awful customer service and rudeness.

I've also observed that the "ghetto culture" which Rock mentioned isn't specific to any particular ethnic group, nor any particular income bracket. I've seen rich and poor people here act classless and without any sense of manners, culture or respect for other human beings. People tend to act like teenagers here, complete with a huge sense of entitlement and that "I can do whatever I want to whoever I want" attitude that simply stinks and would not fly anywhere *but* here, where it is socially acceptable to act like an *******.

Still, some people will put up with all of the above because the benefits of living here outweigh the negatives. Personally, I see a lot of it as completely inexcusable and unnecessary, but I don't exactly lose sleep over it. Let's just say that I won't be spending much more time here though because I could simply do without the unnecessary stress of dealing with a large % of people who simply do not give a rat's a** about anyone but themselves.
I agree with some of your post .... but I believe that you and other posters here grossly generalize most people in South Florida ... I lived in Miami Lakes for a couple of years in the early nineties , then Weston and now Parkland ... and most people down here are friendly and all around good neighbors ... I do not see the me first and dog eat dog attitude from everyone that you and other posters constantly complain about on this forum ... yes there are some a holes here no doubt ... but I have to question the attitudes of some of the complainers on here and where they hell they live in South Florida or what their economic status is that would cause them to live in this hell on earth . I probably travel more than anyone on here ... I have been doing so for business for 21 years ... worked for United Technologies Corp for several years .. now with Honeywell .. in fact I am in Rio De Janeiro at an Oil & Gas exhibition ... just got back to my hotel ... and I compare Miami and South Florida favorably to most cities and countries that I have been too in the world .... talk about a holes live in Paris or Rome Italy ... drive in Buenos Aires or Lima , Peru ... overall disorder , congestion and traffic .. give Mexico City , Sao Paulo Beijing or New Delhi a try .... no South Florida may not be as friendly as cities like Houston or Charlotte or even Atlanta ... but the complaints on here are again grossly exaggerated and makes me question the agenda of the constant whiners and malcontents on here ... many of who I have seen here for months or years .... the only thing that irks me more than people who see everything through rose colored glasses are people who complain about how much South Florida sucks but make no real effort to leave and instead chose to hijack this forum for their personal therapy ... again yes there are real jerks living in South Florida .. no doubt ... but the "me first " attitude is no worse no less than cities like Atlanta , Dallas , Los Angeles or New York ... the real pet peeves that I have down here are the maniacal drivers and the ghetto culture loved by some of the youth . In summary to generalize that "most " people in South Florida have me first attitudes is wrong and unfair and makes me question the character and real intentions of those who constantly complain about this ... I have met wonderful friendly caring people down here .. both at work , my daughters school , our church and yes even in our neighborhood .... maybe some of you who complain so much and hate it here should take a long hard look at yourselves and maybe see that you are part of the problem ?

Old 09-13-2010, 04:24 PM

3,043 posts, read 7,707,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by granitelady View Post
Fauve, you are actually correct in your thinking, I've been to every Country in South America and I can tell you people are extremely friendly, they have a great sense of community, neighbors not only know but help each other...so I can tell you for sure the me-syndrome has not been imported from immigrants of 3rd world countries.
I honestly believe the American Dream is the reason, people in the larger cities come from all different places including U.S. with the American Dream in mind, they are focused on making money and nothing else so get out of the way! I've travelled to many places in europe also and have not found people to be rude or egocentric at all! But Miami or Florida in general is known for being a transient area, people move a lot, they come and go, I went to NC for 5 years for work and when I came back everybody I knew was gone!
That's my opinion.
I think you make a really good point. The big draw this country has is that it used to be guaranteed (and may very well be again) that if you could get here, your children would do better than you. Free quality public education and the offer of professional and/or well-paid employment if you did well ensured you lived the American Dream. And, people frequently moved for better jobs, better schools, better weather! Now? Remains to be seen. I think it'll just take time.

And, I believe the intolerance towards recent immigrants needs to disappear. The American Dream isn't a Ponzi scheme.

Last edited by fauve; 09-13-2010 at 04:38 PM..

Old 09-14-2010, 11:40 PM

75 posts, read 175,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock Newman View Post
I agree with some of your post .... but I believe that you and other posters here grossly generalize most people in South Florida ... I lived in Miami Lakes for a couple of years in the early nineties , then Weston and now Parkland ... and most people down here are friendly and all around good neighbors ... I do not see the me first and dog eat dog attitude from everyone that you and other posters constantly complain about on this forum ... yes there are some a holes here no doubt ... but I have to question the attitudes of some of the complainers on here and where they hell they live in South Florida or what their economic status is that would cause them to live in this hell on earth . I probably travel more than anyone on here ... I have been doing so for business for 21 years ... worked for United Technologies Corp for several years .. now with Honeywell .. in fact I am in Rio De Janeiro at an Oil & Gas exhibition ... just got back to my hotel ... and I compare Miami and South Florida favorably to most cities and countries that I have been too in the world .... talk about a holes live in Paris or Rome Italy ... drive in Buenos Aires or Lima , Peru ... overall disorder , congestion and traffic .. give Mexico City , Sao Paulo Beijing or New Delhi a try .... no South Florida may not be as friendly as cities like Houston or Charlotte or even Atlanta ... but the complaints on here are again grossly exaggerated and makes me question the agenda of the constant whiners and malcontents on here ... many of who I have seen here for months or years .... the only thing that irks me more than people who see everything through rose colored glasses are people who complain about how much South Florida sucks but make no real effort to leave and instead chose to hijack this forum for their personal therapy ... again yes there are real jerks living in South Florida .. no doubt ... but the "me first " attitude is no worse no less than cities like Atlanta , Dallas , Los Angeles or New York ... the real pet peeves that I have down here are the maniacal drivers and the ghetto culture loved by some of the youth . In summary to generalize that "most " people in South Florida have me first attitudes is wrong and unfair and makes me question the character and real intentions of those who constantly complain about this ... I have met wonderful friendly caring people down here .. both at work , my daughters school , our church and yes even in our neighborhood .... maybe some of you who complain so much and hate it here should take a long hard look at yourselves and maybe see that you are part of the problem ?
I think its not the person who need to look at themselves when you have a majority of the people on here agree that most people have a me-first attitude. The majority rules and i think maybe you dont spend the majority of your time here thats why your defending the ideals. you probably get to travel a couple times per year so you get to get a break from southflo and dont fully experience the constant meanness. BUT I HOPE YOU UNDERSTAND THAT MOJORITY STILL RULES.

Old 09-15-2010, 03:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by triumphantmale View Post
I think its not the person who need to look at themselves when you have a majority of the people on here agree that most people have a me-first attitude. The majority rules and i think maybe you dont spend the majority of your time here thats why your defending the ideals. you probably get to travel a couple times per year so you get to get a break from southflo and dont fully experience the constant meanness. BUT I HOPE YOU UNDERSTAND THAT MOJORITY STILL RULES.
The "mojority " still rules ... what does that mean ... and if it is what I think you mean it is a weak argument . Who is the majority here ...where and when was the tribal council vote .. did I miss it ?

The "constant meaness" .. huh ... yes again there are a holes here , but also a lot of nice good people ... maybe you should re examine your network of friends and the venues you frequent .. or maybe you are a little too sensitive ... it is a tough world out there ... butch up a little .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area