Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area
 [Register]
Fort Lauderdale area Broward County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2010, 08:50 PM

4 posts, read 8,116 times

Advertisements

So I'm like many others who are potentially relocating to the area. I'm deciding between many things. The first is the potential of living in either Broward or W. Palm Beach County.

Within Broward, we (my wife and 2 small children) have found the following areas desirable. Can anyone comment on schools, quality of area, crime, etc. for the following:

Coral Springs
Coconut Creek
Pompano Beach
Deerfield Beach
Weston
Boca Raton (in W.P.B. County)

I'd be commuting to Ft. Laud on a daily basis - specifically just off I95 by the Executive Airport.

We'd probably rent short-term but look to buy within 6 months or so. Our budget for a home is around 300k.

Also, is private school the only way to go for kids? My kids are pretty bright and coming from good NY schools. I've heard terrible things about the public schools especially at the secondary level.

Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2010, 11:29 PM

3,043 posts, read 7,698,082 times
I'd choose Weston to rent and look from there. You cant go wrong safety or school-wise. Commute isnt terrible but not a picnic either. What grades are your kids in? I'd aim for a gifted program in one of the Weston schools for now.

Old 09-22-2010, 09:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fauve View Post
I'd choose Weston to rent and look from there. You cant go wrong safety or school-wise. Commute isnt terrible but not a picnic either. What grades are your kids in? I'd aim for a gifted program in one of the Weston schools for now.
Kindergarten and 4th grade - what do you consider not terrible for a commute? I'm in NY so my standards are pretty out of whack. I'd consider 30 minutes to be a breeze.

Old 09-23-2010, 06:36 AM

3,769 posts, read 8,783,789 times
Weston is good but its not the only choice. I would consider the coral ridge area near downtown Ft Lauderdale. Anything in the Bayview Elementary area is excellent - and far more convenient that Weston IMO. Near the beaches and downtown and Las Olas.

Old 09-23-2010, 07:30 AM

Thanks - is it possible for someone (or multiple people) to give a quick description on each of the towns that I mentioned. I think I'm between Weston and Coral Springs but like the idea of being closer to the water.

I still also haven't heard much about Coconut Creek and Deerfield Beach. It looks like Boca maybe more than we can afford.

Lastly, any thoughts on the county comparison Broward v. WPB?

Old 09-25-2010, 08:11 AM

3,910 posts, read 9,453,381 times
It will be easier for you to commute from Coral Springs to your job. The executive airport is located off I-95 and Cypress Creek I believe. From Coral Springs, all you have to do is take McNab Road east and its a breeze. Maybe 30 minutes tops.

Old 09-25-2010, 06:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nolefan34 View Post
It will be easier for you to commute from Coral Springs to your job. The executive airport is located off I-95 and Cypress Creek I believe. From Coral Springs, all you have to do is take McNab Road east and its a breeze. Maybe 30 minutes tops.
Thanks - I think after reading most of the old posts on this forum, I've narrowed it down to Boca, Coral Springs and Parkland. The Chinese Drywall issues scare me a bit, but an inspection should help with that. Boca might be in the lead for their public schools, which seem pretty good.

I see some lease/ buy options out there. I may try that until we iron out an area for sure.

Thanks again.

Old 09-27-2010, 05:26 PM

3,910 posts, read 9,453,381 times
All 3 are good areas. The commute from Weston would be significantly longer than from Coral Springs, Parkland, or Boca. That is because you'd either have to take 595 east to 95 (bad traffic), or take the Sawgrass north and cut over on Atlantic Blvd (takes forever).

Old 09-27-2010, 09:34 PM

469 posts, read 1,326,259 times
If it's "FLL" airport it only takes 15-30 minutes to get there from Weston. I am a midwest transplant and I really like the elementary school in Weston. What I don't like is the snob factor (sorry Weston people). I also heard thesame about Boca but can't speak from personal experience. I am tolerating it for the moment because I have to and my kids are happy in school but in all honesty I am itching to get out. However, that doesn't bother alot of newbies so take it with a grain of salt. Check into prices of private school- IMO expensive! Just can't rationalize it at the moment and my kids are being challenged and enriched at home so public is just fine for now. I think Coral Springs would be a good choice for elementary schools. I actually preferred it over Weston but it would've made my husbands commute to Miami more challenging.

Old 09-28-2010, 01:21 PM

2,763 posts, read 6,755,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rounder555 View Post
Kindergarten and 4th grade - what do you consider not terrible for a commute? I'm in NY so my standards are pretty out of whack. I'd consider 30 minutes to be a breeze.
Rounder - what part of NY - I can't speak for every NYer but more often than not NYers from the boroughs are not happy in Broward - Imagine Suffolk county minus any walkability! There are no corner stores - I think someone referred to the walgreens as a corner store - it isn't. I'm here for 5 months from Woodside/Astoria and there are days where I would take the cloudy, dreary days any day over what I am living in now and I live in one of the nicer parts of Broward - Weston and Cooper City are tops period when it comes to schools! Period - no one can dispute this the numbers say it all! Stay away from any of the areas you mentioned outside of these 2 areas LOL - for several reasons that I will get into if you dm me. I myself would commute from Miami to Ft. Lauderdale but if that isn't an option but your economic situation allows for private, I would live right in downtown FLL. I can't explain enough how different things are here - again something that I can further discuss if you dm me. Good luck, overall I will say that I am much more impressed with Miami than Broward!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area