Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area
 [Register]
Fort Lauderdale area Broward County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-29-2010, 06:25 AM

115 posts, read 337,330 times

Advertisements

I also love the proximity to the Town Center. Walking to the school and to stores is a big plus for us. Parent involvment is always important no matter how well rated the school is.
Thanks for the positive feedback!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2010, 06:38 AM

469 posts, read 1,328,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BackHomeMIA View Post
I also love the proximity to the Town Center. Walking to the school and to stores is a big plus for us. Parent involvment is always important no matter how well rated the school is.
Thanks for the positive feedback!
EXACTLY! I am a self-proclaimed "school snob" and chose Weston. However, is going to Country Isle vs. Gator Run reallly going to make a difference in the long run? What really matters is what we do at home, how parents extend the learning, etc... Now I am the first one to call myself a hypocrite because I have spent countlessss hours on here and other sites obsessing (yes obsessing) over schools. I usually need an outsider to tell me to RELAX- the kids will be fine with a strong home foundation. Walking the kids to school and for treats is truely priceless nowadays (and with more than one child that means years) so I say go for it

Old 09-29-2010, 06:44 AM

3,043 posts, read 7,709,122 times
I love that area of Executive 1 & 2 because of how walkable it is - to Town Center, Publix, school, etc.... I visited the gifted program at Country Isles and was impressed - if your kids are bright, it's well worth it to get them tested - lower class size, best teachers, & an academic program less emphasized on FCAT...

Old 09-29-2010, 07:25 AM

My oldest is in kindergarten. I'm not sure yet how bright he is!! Do they test at this early age? The other two are 3 and 1. So in a couple of years I will be able to walk all of them to school!!

Overall,seems like Country Isles is a good choice. Plus, the middle school is Falcon Cove and the high school is Cypress Bay, so that's as good as it gets!

Old 09-29-2010, 07:26 AM

2,764 posts, read 6,765,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock Newman View Post
We have friends in Waterford Landing and they are zoned to Country Isles ... yes this is an older , but still real nice area of Weston ... plus you are close to I-75 which can cut commute time in the am especially if you work south .. also this area is within walking distance of the Weston Town Center .. where you have Publix , Starbucks , Cheese Course , a wine bar and several other restaurants as well as live jazz on Saturday nights .... according to our friends Country Isles Elementary is fine and as long as a parent you are involved your kids will be fine ... Executive Island II is a lovely quaint community .... we lived in Weston for nearly five years and loved it ... do not listen to the other posters here who I presume do not live or have ever lived in Weston ..... go for it and I would much prefer that area near Country Isles than Savanna .
Rock we are not telling her not to live in Weston - we are telling her the school that she is zoned for does not share the same exclusivity that the others in Weston do. Oh and don't presume too much because I think the all lived there except for me and I looked into the area specifically the area zoned for that school and chose not to take the apartment for that very reason.

Old 09-29-2010, 07:34 AM

To the OP - the gifted program is great but what if they don't get into the program? When you don't know a specific area you have to rely on numbers unfortunately. Do numbers mean everything no? However, Sunrise itself isn't known to be the best area. It isn't known for having the best group of people living there, which is what worried me - the truth is it really only takes one apple to ruin a bunch. I did investigation because the school is a weston school - I spoke to several people in the area and they liked where they lived but didn't love the quality of the children who attended the school period and that was all I needed to hear. I can't believe that you can't find a home in Cooper City or West Pines for that 2500. I was going to rent something in Embassy Lakes for 2300 and it was a 4 bedroom and Embassy Lakes is the Savanah of Cooper City - Cooper City is an older City but doesn't share quite the snobbish factor that Weston has. Can I ask why you are moving from Aventura? I hear it is beautiful there!

Old 09-29-2010, 07:34 AM

3,043 posts, read 7,709,122 times
Quote:
My oldest is in kindergarten. I'm not sure yet how bright he is!! Do they test at this early age? The other two are 3 and 1. So in a couple of years I will be able to walk all of them to school!!

Overall,seems like Country Isles is a good choice. Plus, the middle school is Falcon Cove and the high school is Cypress Bay, so that's as good as it gets!
yes they test at 5, even 4....my kids started in the gifted program at Ludlam Elementary in South Miami in Kindergarten...class size was FIVE

Old 09-29-2010, 07:37 AM

Quote:

Kind of - the schools are very, very crowded and you have to look at the rezoning that they are trying to put into place and make sure that you stay in that zone. The rezoning mess is terrible - people move to certain areas for these schools only to be told in 2 years sorry - no Cypress bay for you it is Western or another school that isn't regarded as well.

Old 09-29-2010, 07:38 AM

So Chelsa what exactly about that school put you off? I am not sure I understand the exclusivity thing. The areas in Davie that are zoned for CIE also seem pretty affluent (I see all these communities like Imagination Farms, Stonebrook Estates etc that are way more expensive than Savanna for instance). Or is it that all the rich Davie folks send the kids to private, and what ends up in CIE is the "bad stuff"?

Old 09-29-2010, 07:43 AM

Ok, the rezoning does scare me!!

Aventura is nice,but we are tired of living in a condo. Also, both sets of grandparents live in Weston (free babysitting!)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area