Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area
 [Register]
Fort Lauderdale area Broward County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2010, 11:36 PM

4 posts, read 10,176 times

Advertisements

We need assistance in selecting a city. Maybe YOU can help us. Seems odd to ask strangers, but being out of state, I have no choice

Budget for rent 1400 to 1500 for 3 bedroom
Budget if we buy 200K

We have 2 small children, safety and kid friendly important/
good public or good private under 6k a year are crucial

we can handle the "drive" to the beach

We are an active family, always out doing "something"

Don't suggest anything remotely "ghetto" to me please

So, Weston, CS or Boca? Please advise any specific areas. This is much appreciated
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2010, 07:05 AM

3,769 posts, read 8,797,249 times
Seriously? Suggestion - review the gagillion threads on this topic - narrow down your questions to those that are more specific and then post those.

Old 10-16-2010, 07:08 AM

155 posts, read 348,841 times
This is easy, Boca if you can afford it. Try to stay at least as far north as that and Palm Beach County or even further north. The traffic further south and over crowding is horrendous. Also, the further south, the more you'll have a need for Spanish as your primary language.

Old 10-16-2010, 07:59 AM

1,108 posts, read 4,216,939 times
Question Visit the Schools

Since you have small children...I would take the time to visit the schools in the area you are looking to move...especially the high schools...for if you cannot imagine your children going to the school that covers your area and you cannot afford private school...why would you even consider looking for a house covered by that school......

Do yourself a favor and pickup a book on relocating...for the first 3 most important things they will tell you is Location - Location - Location and one of the most important "Locations" is the schools...

Old 10-16-2010, 08:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StilltheSame View Post
Seriously? Suggestion - review the gagillion threads on this topic - narrow down your questions to those that are more specific and then post those.
seriously

Old 10-16-2010, 02:40 PM

13,980 posts, read 25,942,367 times
Out of the three towns I think Weston is best for families. The regional park has loads of activities, and a YMCA with additional programs. Schools are good. No matter where you live in town, you aren't more than 10 minutes from any other spot. My concern would be your budget. Rentals might be available in your price range, but purchasing at 200k won't be easy in any of the areas you mention.

Old 10-16-2010, 04:02 PM

7,937 posts, read 20,373,429 times
We live in Central Boca and have 2 kids and love it...I can tell you that Boca Pointe you can find a townhome 3 bedrooms and 2 baths in your price range for RENT....the Elem school is one of the Best Around Which is Del Prado...However 200k in Boca to buy will be a bit difficult....Boca Pointe is a country club however you dont have to have membership to use the pool and such From my understanding as dh and I are were looking in there as well I do know memebership is not required...they are one of the only clubs here that dont require it....Younger People are starting to move into Boca Pointe I dont think you would be disappointed...

Old 10-16-2010, 05:37 PM

4,346 posts, read 7,824,680 times
+1 for Weston

but it may be more $ than what you posted. Unless you find a foreclosed home or short sale.

Old 10-16-2010, 06:07 PM

8,377 posts, read 30,894,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsy80 View Post
We need assistance in selecting a city. Maybe YOU can help us. Seems odd to ask strangers, but being out of state, I have no choice

Budget for rent 1400 to 1500 for 3 bedroom
Budget if we buy 200K

We have 2 small children, safety and kid friendly important/
good public or good private under 6k a year are crucial

we can handle the "drive" to the beach

We are an active family, always out doing "something"

Don't suggest anything remotely "ghetto" to me please

So, Weston, CS or Boca? Please advise any specific areas. This is much appreciated
Weston and Boca are both good choices, just depends on commute. 200k might be a little tight and 1500/month could be too. I probably would scratch Coral Springs off the list because the areas with 200 thousand dollar homes can be really dodgy and the whole city seems to be in a sort of downward trend except for in the most upscale areas. The same seems to hold true with the schools. There are still plenty of good areas and it might not be a bad place to rent for a few years, but I'm not so sure about the long-term stability of the areas in Coral Springs with 200 thousand dollar/under homes. Pembroke Pines seems to be holding up better than Coral Springs; I would consider west Pembroke Pines if you can find a better price than Weston or Boca, depending on commute, and there are a lot of more affordable areas there which are holding up nicely.

Old 10-17-2010, 10:27 AM

Helpful Input!
Lots of votes for Weston, (not surprised) there are only a handful of places to buy in my price range which I am checking out today. We really don't like renting, but we may do so anyhow. We are checking purchasing options first since the prices/rates are so low.
CS: not looking very popular as Westonon this forum. Lots of places in my price range. WE checked out a house in gated community in zipcode 33067, north of Sample, on a canal between Turtle Run Blvd & Turtle Creek Dr. The area and neighbors SEEMED good. Any knowledge of this zip code?There were areas of CS I did not like. The few Boca homes in my price range I saw are not at all what i am looking for, but I am still not giving up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area