Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area
 [Register]
Fort Lauderdale area Broward County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2010, 08:01 PM

29 posts, read 151,427 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I currently live in the DC suburb of Fairfax. Due to my husband's frequent travel schedule, we very seriously thinking about relocating to Florida within a year. We just moved to our dream home after looking for 2 years (I'm so sad), and I would like something similar when we relocate. I have researched a lot of areas, and Weston seems like a good match for us. I am looking for:

1. Large home, around 4,000sf foot home or larger (4 to 5 bed, 4 baths).
2. Gated community with pools, tennis courts, playgrounds, etc.
3. We don't want to spend more than $750,000.

Which communities in Weston do you recommend that meet my criteria. I'm overwhelmed with all the communities in that area, and really would appreciate some guidance.

Thank you in advance for any help you can provide.

Brenda
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2010, 08:06 PM

3,769 posts, read 8,799,123 times
Savanna
The Ridges
Weston Hills Country Club - youd be on the lower price end - but the location and amenities are nice.

Old 11-03-2010, 08:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StilltheSame View Post
Savanna
The Ridges
Weston Hills Country Club - youd be on the lower price end - but the location and amenities are nice.
Thanks! I'm not really interested in the country club. If they are anything like the ones here, the fees are crazy.

I have a question, when I do a search in realtor.com for Weston, Fl, besides the houses in Weston, I also get results for an area called Davie. The houses are beautiful. Is Davie a nice area? Is it close to Weston?

Old 11-04-2010, 04:42 AM

3,769 posts, read 8,799,123 times
The country club doesnt require membership to purchase a home. West Davie is nice anything 136th avenue and higher - so Hawks Landing - anything in the Davie Estates (South of 595 West of 128th or so - or near Flamingo). Imagination Farms in Davie is really nice - but most of the homes have their own pools- I would definitely recommend you look at those homes.

Old 11-04-2010, 05:09 AM

3,043 posts, read 7,709,122 times
Hawks Landing is actually in Plantation @ Nob Hill & Broward. You'd be okay for lower & middle schools but most folks there send their kids to American Heritage (private) for high school. You could be hard-pressed to find a house there in your budget as well, but the deals are there.

Old 11-04-2010, 11:10 AM

Thanks for all the information. It is looking to me a lot more like we should rent a place for a while to get our bearings before we actually buy. I don't want us to regret buying in the wrong place. How is Miramar, my husband mentioned it was closer to Miami. I just keep reading all this great comments about Weston for families like ours. And we are not focused on schools because we are pretty sure we'll choose private.

Old 11-04-2010, 12:40 PM

995 posts, read 3,929,603 times
With 750k budget, I'd target

Weston Hills
Landings

But if you want large homes, Weston is not ideal for you. Most homes in Weston are on smaller lots. Consider Plantation and Davie.

Renting before buy is a prudent idea, unless you are absolutely sure about what you are getting.

Old 11-04-2010, 03:45 PM

13,981 posts, read 25,948,820 times
Many of the homes in both the Landings and Weston Hills are 4-5 bedrooms. I agree it would be prudent to rent first, but you could certainly find a large home in Weston. I don't recall any neighborhoods with tennis courts. Many, many homes have pools though, and playgrounds are common.

Old 11-04-2010, 03:46 PM

469 posts, read 1,328,124 times
Do you have an idea of what private school you are interested in? I'd start there. If you are thinking American Heritage- there is no need to look out of the Plantation/Davie areas as they will have everything. Weston has Sagemont private school. There are also some perochial schools to choose from. IMO- I really don't see the point of living in Weston if you are going to do private school anyways (what's the point of paying the higher taxes/no yard space??). The only reason I live in Weston is because we cannot do private school for 3 kids so we decided to rent in the place with the "best public schools." Good luck!!

Old 11-04-2010, 07:50 PM

11,642 posts, read 23,904,587 times
If you will choose private I would find the school first. Then find a house.

Edited to add: If you want public you really should stay in Weston. If you are sure you are going to go private there are lots of nice places to consider. Weston is beautiful but depending on where you work and where your kids school is it can be inconvenient. The homes there in the $750K range are really nice houses but the lots are really small. I would stay in Weston Hills and The Landings in that price range (in Weston).

If you are considering University School or American Heritage then Plantation and Davie would be more convenient than Weston. If you choose Pinecrest you might stay in Fort Lauderdale. If you choose North Broward you might want to be further north. If your kids are high school aged you might also consider St. Thomas, Archbishop McCarthy or Chaminade, Cardinal Gibbons (Catholic High schools).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area