U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area
 [Register]
Fort Lauderdale area Broward County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2010, 07:50 PM

416 posts, read 1,555,911 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfo.evo View Post
thanks everyone, i am definitely happy to see that there are several options for me to consider, and i would definitely rent first before buying. does anyone know about las olas by the river condos? seems to be a steal....
Las Olas by the River is a pretty good building. The location is excellent. The ammenities are decent as they have a pool, gym, etc. I also think the HOA is reasonable. In a building like that, I would highly recommend going with a 2/2.

Not sure about the finances in the building, that is something you should check with a realtor.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2010, 09:48 PM

264 posts, read 690,170 times
thanks everyone just signed the acceptance letter today and still cant believe it is all working out. i will probably be visiting again soon to scope out the area and check out a few places. all suggestions and advice is welcome

Old 12-09-2010, 10:11 PM

621 posts, read 1,522,673 times
YAY! Is that where you decided on?? Congrats!!

Old 12-10-2010, 10:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AliciaMaria View Post
YAY! Is that where you decided on?? Congrats!!
haha thanks, i havent signed a lease or anything yet but what i meant was that i signed my acceptance letter for the job. my start date isn't actually projected to begin until closer to Fall 2011 so i actually have plenty of time to research and prepare for where i want to live. also for an update, i think my after-tax income will be a lot closer to $45000/yr, so $2000 for rent/mortgage is still affordable but i really dont think its reasonable, especially if i want to upgrade my car as well.

what i really want is to find a great 1 bedroom rental (preferrably on the beach) for $1500. anywhere from boca down to north miami would be great.

im surprised i havent heard anyone mention the galt mile condominiums...are these predominantly elderly/retirees?

i.e. playa del mar, galt ocean club, etc
i found a few beachside 1 bedrooms for under $1500......

any info about this area as far as demographics, building/quality management, are they modernized units or a lot more traditional/outdated?

also, most condominiums have listed purchase prices, in some cases would i be able to contact the owner and negotiate rental prices or a contract of sorts with them or are they typically looking to sell outright? is that how it typically works?

Old 12-10-2010, 10:17 PM

621 posts, read 1,522,673 times
Galt Ocean Mile is an older crowd.. like you said. You'll find a more elderly population there, as well as older/dated buildings. I used to live right across the street at The Tides and LOVED it.. being that close to the beach and water was honestly one of the happiest times of my life.

That area in general (Oakland Park Blvd and A1A) is fairly quiet.. more residential, which is nice because you won't have so much beach/tourist traffic. There are lots of conveniences nearby as well. Publix and Target are just down the street, you have another Publix up A1A on the beach. Walgreens, 7-11, a scattering of shops, bars and restaurants AND the beach and intracoastal!

You might find that lots of people will be willing to rent out their property, you'll need to ask though. Never hurts to ask! I would rent before buying, just to make sure you like the area and building/amenities, etc.

Old 01-09-2011, 09:46 AM

happy new year everyone,

i made a trip down to the area just this past week. stayed at my sister's for a few days in boca and drove around las olas/beachside. it is very cool to see how busy it is even just during the daytime. people really seem to enjoy it in fort lauderdale and take advantage of what the area has to offer. many other downtown cities are ghost towns before nightlife begins, instead FTL is teeming with people everywhere and it looks like a great time.

the only place i really had the chance to see was camden las olas. it was a nice property, prime location, but the interior of the units just didnt seem up to par to me. i am not a picky guy and not ruling camden out, but i still feel i could find a better place. i was shown a studio for $1200 so i would be happy with that as a fall back option. i wonder if there are any particular horror stories anyone has to share about this place, management and the leasing office didn't seem very professional/accommodating...

also i am thinking there are less expensive apartments just outside of downtown that have upgraded units that would be perfectly fine for me as well. then again if i were to come across a superb deal (which i still plan on researching and will look into closer to moving time) like a 1/1 in 350 las olas place or tides at bridgeside for under $2000 including fees and taxes, i would highly consider that.

my flexibility in price is because i am looking to purchase a new car around the same time so i just want to budget accordingly. the higher cost of rent will obviously mean a cutback in the budget of the new car. if my numbers are right, it would most likely be the difference between an m3 and a 335....decisions decisions

and really thanks again for all the advice. im glad there is a reasonable community online that really looks forward to sharing and helping others like this

Old 01-09-2011, 10:17 AM

for example i just found a property called leisure beach, just off of beachside las olas. there is a 1/1 for around $1000. sure its an older building but the interior is for the most part updated and besides, a condo on the beach for that price, plus a new car (the m3 in this case), i think thats a lot more ideal than moving to an overpriced downtown unit.

my concern with a place like that would be that it may be predominantly older residents that live there perhaps making it awkward for me..or then again i am thinking that it could be ok and would help keep me level headed in such a fun city

well, i'll keep updating with more questions as long as someone is willing to answer

Old 02-18-2011, 05:02 PM

how is the traffic southbound us1 at 8am and northbound at 6pm from port royale to downtown during weekdays?

googlemaps shows 14 minutes total.. which is not bad

Old 02-21-2011, 05:34 AM

1,452 posts, read 2,959,634 times
Hmmm...Leisure Beach...leisure suit comes to mind!! lol I wonder if that's any indication of the population living there. Maybe they are older!! I hope you find what you're looking for, I've been looking too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area