Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area
 [Register]
Fort Lauderdale area Broward County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-06-2011, 04:04 PM

4,346 posts, read 7,827,848 times

Advertisements

the thread made me think of

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p6q9nBusrq8
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2011, 09:46 PM

622 posts, read 1,665,333 times
I think its just the smell of South Florida, especially near the beach! The combination of the humidity and the vegetation combined make for a wonderful smell. My dad always called it "balmy night air" and youre right, you smell it and notice it right when you walk out of the airport. I LOVE it!

Old 07-13-2017, 12:35 PM

1 posts, read 1,010 times
It's literally everywhere, hotels, shops, toilets, airport,.. and I know what it is: the smell of sugared citrus aroma. I found it out when I unwrapped the little piece of soap I got from the Ramada Plaza hotel in ft Lauderdale lettered with its scent.. hope I could help you!

Old 07-13-2017, 02:19 PM

5,021 posts, read 7,449,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AliciaMaria View Post
I think its just the smell of South Florida The combination of the humidity and the vegetation combined make for a wonderful smell. and youre right, you smell it and notice it right when you walk out of the airport.

This

Old 02-15-2020, 06:53 AM

1 posts, read 675 times
I know this exactly though I haven’t been to Fort Lauderdale from what I recall. I finally moved to Florida exactly a year ago and I still smell it and it’s wonderful. For me it is nostalgia of our visiting family and other trips to FL in my younger years.
It depends where you are in FL.. it changes a bit from region to region. Mostly along the coasts it’s an organic smell of the palms, pines and high organic soil mixed with salt and water. As you get closer to the beach the salt get stronger or takes over. As you go farther inland the pine, palm and organic soil are stronger. It probably also changes seasonally as someone suggested with the citrus groves and other blooming plants though many bloom year round.
I mostly notice it on sunny mornings and it’s strongest after the rain.
I absolutely love it. Scent is one of the magical things that get linked in your brain with nostalgia and good memories. I have many fond memories of trips to Florida and now that I live here it is still linked this way. Btw I am in Tampa bay, most of my trips were to sanibel, Orlando and Daytona. But I’ve noticed it in Pensacola, the keys, Jacksonville. It almost changes the moment you cross the border from GA on 95. I noticed a change in each state on our way down from VA. The closer you got to FL the better.

Old 02-21-2020, 08:41 PM

2,747 posts, read 2,633,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BPcatlady View Post
I know this exactly though I haven’t been to Fort Lauderdale from what I recall. I finally moved to Florida exactly a year ago and I still smell it and it’s wonderful. For me it is nostalgia of our visiting family and other trips to FL in my younger years.
It depends where you are in FL.. it changes a bit from region to region. Mostly along the coasts it’s an organic smell of the palms, pines and high organic soil mixed with salt and water. As you get closer to the beach the salt get stronger or takes over. As you go farther inland the pine, palm and organic soil are stronger. It probably also changes seasonally as someone suggested with the citrus groves and other blooming plants though many bloom year round.
I mostly notice it on sunny mornings and it’s strongest after the rain.
I absolutely love it. Scent is one of the magical things that get linked in your brain with nostalgia and good memories. I have many fond memories of trips to Florida and now that I live here it is still linked this way. Btw I am in Tampa bay, most of my trips were to sanibel, Orlando and Daytona. But I’ve noticed it in Pensacola, the keys, Jacksonville. It almost changes the moment you cross the border from GA on 95. I noticed a change in each state on our way down from VA. The closer you got to FL the better.
Ok
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area