U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area
 [Register]
Fort Lauderdale area Broward County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is Broward's future brighter than Miami-Dade or Palm Beach County?
Yes 24 40.00%
No 25 41.67%
Not sure 11 18.33%
Voters: 60. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2007, 11:15 PM

8,376 posts, read 28,561,224 times

Advertisements

I think that today's Broward County continues to retain itself as a quite dynamic place to live with lots of good quality of life factors, clean air, and a diverse population that does not seem to have as deep rooted of a tension as many places (not to say there are no tensions!). Right now, the main things holding back Broward are high costs of living with a weak economy, and doubts in the educational system. Still, government corruption here seems to not be a huge problem (I mean it exists at local levels (Davie comes to mind), but its not chaos), the class division here is nothing compared to what is in Dade or Palm Beach County (median incomes mirror national averages, even though the cost of living is high, but poverty rates are lower than average and falling, bucking a national trend of increasing poverty), crime rates follow the American average and are falling, and there still seems to be a sense of civic pride here that is not present in a lot of Florida. Can we retain it, and do you think that price correction and educational reform can help Broward thrive through the 21st century even as our neighbors to the north and south take a huge dive, or do you think the same problems are just coming later on?

Crap, I meant to make a poll, how can I make one if I already made the thread? Just say Yes, No, don't know, and then post your explanation .

Last edited by compelled to reply; 07-14-2007 at 12:19 AM.. Reason: misspelled "brighter"
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2007, 11:37 PM

9,324 posts, read 24,561,185 times
If you can find a way to drive the speculators out and cut off the freeloaders, Broward will be the place to be in south Florida. You are going to need more industry, though.

Old 07-14-2007, 12:01 AM

3 posts, read 12,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tallrick View Post
If you can find a way to drive the speculators out and cut off the freeloaders, Broward will be the place to be in south Florida. You are going to need more industry, though.
yea like back in the 70,s i was there

Old 07-14-2007, 12:31 AM

518 posts, read 2,051,479 times
Fort Lauderdale, we've read enough of each other's posts to know that we think a bit alike when it comes to Broward -- a scary thought, eh? The keys to Broward's future are economic diversification and the cost of living. We've got to go beyond an economy based on real estate, construction and tourism. I give Palm Beach County a lot of credit for attracting the Scripps biotech complex -- though not many jobs have been created in the short run, I think the ripple effect will be quite sizable in the long run and might someday justify the amount of money spent to get Scripps to move there.

As for the cost of living, either taxes and homeowners insurance are reined in or salaries rise to meet the higher costs -- something's gotta give, or the brain drain will continue.

I'm not a big fan of our county commission because they spend money like drunken sailors and seem to be in bed with developers and lobbyists, and don't get me started on our mayor in Fort Lauderdale -- while not corrupt, his public comments over the past year have proved him to be a buffoon. Thank goodness for term limits!

Old 07-14-2007, 02:48 AM

28 posts, read 255,898 times
Question Top Employers in Broward?

I know that the job market is not very strong there...but are there any employers that actively hire? Also,....what is the average price of a single-family home there?,,,say a 3 Bedroom/2bath in Pembroke....2000sq ft?

Old 07-14-2007, 03:44 AM

7,862 posts, read 11,584,574 times
Not sure about big employers who are hiring, but the average price of a 3/2 in Pembroke Pines is in the mid-$300k area at least. That price level is affordable for equity locusts from the northeast, for example, but it is way too high for a young professional just starting out, especially in view of the quality of the job market, not to mention a commute with gas prices and a lopsided transportation infrastructure.

You tell me, but to buy in a decent place in Ft. Lauderdale costs around $600k nowadays, no?

In any case, on the general Florida forum someone just posted the results of a poll on the best US cities for young professionals, and Miami and Tampa scored well toward the bottom of the list (actually Tampa was dead last). These results should be read in conjunction with the results of the CNBC poll, and it becomes clear that Florida, and southeastern Florida with it, has slipped economically as a result of the credit/real estate bubble and the influx of easy, outside money, attracting too many shysters to relatively unproductive pursuits in real terms such as flipping property ownership and mortgage brokering.

As mentioned many times, Florida needs to diversify its economy, but apparently the powers that be, beyond their rhetoric, are, in reality, content with the tourism/retirement model.

Old 07-14-2007, 05:02 AM

98 posts, read 287,062 times
Quote:
what is the average price of a single-family home there?,,,say a 3 Bedroom/2bath in Pembroke....2000sq ft
I live in Pembroke Pines. A decent home like you are referring to is probably going to run in the mid-300's on average.

Also, I don't see where Pines is a poorly run city. It seems the local govt actually does OK.

Old 07-14-2007, 05:04 AM

3 posts, read 12,941 times
you will find that most floridians with many years living in south florida are ready to leave. its horrible now,, 400k for a home that cost maybe 60kor 70k not me yall can have it. used to be jobs there i worked the same my whole life but no adays forget it. 10,000 a year in tax, 5700 a year for insurance and lest we forget those wonderfull hoa fees, gated communities to keep the trash out, nope not me , but if you like it move there , chances are youll say what am i doing here? before the interstate went up 75 i meaning it was country living, now its a little miami, my opinion

Old 07-14-2007, 08:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chisoxfan View Post
Fort Lauderdale, we've read enough of each other's posts to know that we think a bit alike when it comes to Broward -- a scary thought, eh? The keys to Broward's future are economic diversification and the cost of living. We've got to go beyond an economy based on real estate, construction and tourism. I give Palm Beach County a lot of credit for attracting the Scripps biotech complex -- though not many jobs have been created in the short run, I think the ripple effect will be quite sizable in the long run and might someday justify the amount of money spent to get Scripps to move there.

As for the cost of living, either taxes and homeowners insurance are reined in or salaries rise to meet the higher costs -- something's gotta give, or the brain drain will continue.

I'm not a big fan of our county commission because they spend money like drunken sailors and seem to be in bed with developers and lobbyists, and don't get me started on our mayor in Fort Lauderdale -- while not corrupt, his public comments over the past year have proved him to be a buffoon. Thank goodness for term limits!
Imagine if we got scripps...oh well. Maybe we will have more opportunity in the future.

Old 07-14-2007, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tallrick View Post
One of the challenges is the lack of land. SW Ranches is wonderful, but it would be home to pretty much the last major reserves of open land to build places of employment in Broward County. They are already trying to evict trailer parks in Davie to build townhomes (Crappy use of space, plus the Sunshine Village people were quite friendly and good people), so land here is getting tight. Perhaps an upsurge in high-rise office development in Fort Lauderdale, and perhaps demolition of abandoned buildings in worn down areas in Pompano Beach and such could provide land for potential employers? The main reason Broward will always remain expensive for business intrests is because it is probably among the most land strapped locales in the United States.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or