Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area
 [Register]
Fort Lauderdale area Broward County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-26-2010, 02:11 PM

50 posts, read 103,473 times

Advertisements

now after sending money and signing contracts we have to apply to condo to see if we can live there???? once approved then in person?????
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2010, 09:14 PM

141 posts, read 405,374 times
Soloseeker-
Are you sure you are buying into a condominium and not Co-op? A condo purchaser should not need an approval. You are buying a piece of property whereas in a Co-op you are buying shares of the corporation that owns the structure. The Board of the Co-op has the right to decide whether to sell its shares to you and whether to allow you to utilize the apartment.
Co-ops are fairly unusual in Florida.
Maybe the Condo just wants to meet you and see that you understand their by-laws?

Old 12-27-2010, 07:03 AM

riveiara park condos. police and background check then a meeting in person. we are not felons so no problem but it seems strange its a 2 step process!!!!!

Old 12-27-2010, 07:29 AM

Ah I get it.
I bet you are going to be paying for the background check. A management company has gotten carried away (guess who gets the fee). Even if your background were not squeaky clean they would have a heck of a job keeping you from buying the property.

Old 12-27-2010, 08:13 AM

yes i am!!!!!300.00!!!!!im a nurse so i have backgrounds every 2 years so i will pass but after i do then i have to drive down and meet them in person

Old 12-27-2010, 12:50 PM

$300????? That is outrageous! The solution, long term, of course, is to get on the Board and get a new management company.
I would send a polite note to your contact there (via your RE agent if one is involved), saying . You look forward to meeting the representatives, after the move, but right now it is difficult to take the time from work as you are a nurse and are heavily scheduled.

Old 12-29-2010, 09:16 AM

2 weeks for background check?????thats dumb here if you apply for a job they run it in 3 days?????i dont understand about management cos as i am moving from single family home

Old 12-29-2010, 11:40 AM

The members (you will be one when the deal is sealed) of the condo association elected, at their yearly meeting, a Board of Directors.
The Board of Directors hired a management company to manage the condo, collect the assessments, pay the bills, send letters to those who are late payers, hire an attorney to deal with the no-payers, hire the employees, supervise the work, deal with govt. regulations, deal with complaints from members of the Association i.e. deal with the nitty gritty. All of this is done under the eye of Board.
There are many management companies out there. Some are good, some are a disaster. In my opinion none are perfect. You can make a judgment of yours by the way they are treating you (a potential buyer) in a difficult market to sell condos. Should you get fed up with the nonsense they are putting you though and decide to go elsewhere a sale would be lost.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area