U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area
 [Register]
Fort Lauderdale area Broward County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-08-2011, 06:51 AM

50 posts, read 98,097 times

Advertisements

paying cash for condo just got condo assoc application, credit check background check,if my kids want to come and stay for a week they have to have this as well, should i cancell the contract this seems awful, they mean i cant have grandkids down for a week to my own house without being approved by condo?then they want 100.00 and it could take 2 weeks to even see if i can live there?????
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2011, 08:53 AM

1,304 posts, read 2,871,447 times
Sounds like you don't own the condo, but the condo association owns you. Sometimes those things that seem like a great deal on the surface cost too much in the end. I'd pass on this one.

Old 01-08-2011, 09:12 AM

45 posts, read 128,527 times
There is a law in New York city that buildings can't be more than 3 stories tall....it was put into law a very long time ago. The point being that maybe just because it states it as a regulation, maybe it isn't strictly enforced. Maybe you could ask some of the condo owners if this is really enforced or not and how do they deal with it. Of course, only do this if you're in love with the place; otherwise, why bother.

Old 01-08-2011, 09:38 PM

621 posts, read 1,571,649 times
If it's an adult or senior type community, then yes.. you need to get approval in some areas.

Old 01-09-2011, 05:13 AM

1,108 posts, read 4,005,502 times
Cool Look Else Where

Quote:
Originally Posted by solseeker View Post
paying cash for condo just got condo assoc application, credit check background check,if my kids want to come and stay for a week they have to have this as well, should i cancell the contract this seems awful, they mean i cant have grandkids down for a week to my own house without being approved by condo?then they want 100.00 and it could take 2 weeks to even see if i can live there?????
Condo Ownership is a pain in the "Buttock"......for you really only own shares and not the unit......then you subject yourself to rules which are sometimes enforced and sometimes not enforced......just imagine having your grandkids coming down for a visit and being alittle loud in the hallway......and all of a sudden you recieve a fine in the mail because one of your neighbors complained......the best part...they do not even tell you who complained...

Credit Checks and Back Ground Checks on your kids...and perhaps other family members and friends that might want to visit you...WOW...I guess they will have to let you know three to four months in advance before they visit......GOOD LUCK...but I would tell them to SHOVE IT....

Old 01-09-2011, 07:07 AM

now real estate wants 4,500 more deposit on cono for settlement, but im not approved by condo yet!!!!dont you think i should wait for approval befor i send anymore money????

Old 01-09-2011, 07:20 AM

153 posts, read 227,852 times
If it's an age restricted building, all the other owners bought there to get away from romping, screaming children. Most people have young ones in the family they love dearly, but your neighbors are not required to love your grandkids and they have a right to the peace and quiet they paid for. Your grandchildren may be perfectly well behaved, but once that line is crossed, it's hard to enforce the rules on everybody else who may want children in their family to visit and you end up with romping, screaming kids all the time in a place you had hoped to get away from that sort of thing. Can you tell I have some experience listening to romping, screaming children?

Old 01-09-2011, 12:05 PM

haha i understand!!!its not age restricted and my grandkids are 20,youngest 11 but thanks!!!!!!!

Old 01-11-2011, 08:41 AM

153 posts, read 227,852 times
Well, that's a different situation. I'd be angry if a condo association told me I couldn't have adult guests in my own home.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

>