Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area
 [Register]
Fort Lauderdale area Broward County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2011, 03:46 PM

1,452 posts, read 3,170,559 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I am interested in relocating and my son would be starting high school next year. I've heard some good things about it. Can anyone tell me if it is a good school? Also where would one have to live to be eligible to attend? Is the Las Olas area nearby? Any info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2011, 04:06 PM

438 posts, read 653,325 times
Although the school isn't located in such a great area, it is a good school. They have a "gifted" program there, and they produce some really bright graduates. Here is a link to the districting map that shows the boundaries for eligibility. The school is a short drive away from the Las Olas area.

http://www.broward.k12.fl.us/schoolb...8x11_notaz.pdf

Old 02-04-2011, 05:52 PM

Thanks for the info, it's much appreciated!! I'm gonna check out the gifted program.

Old 02-06-2011, 10:00 AM

159 posts, read 558,778 times
I cant tell you what it is like now but Ive heard in some ways it has changed for the worse since I went there in the early 90's. And when I was there nobody would have considered that to be a good school. There were lots of fights, drugs, and some gangs when I went there. There were two riots in the 3 years I was there where the school was locked down and the police were brought in. There were a lot of bad students there from rough neighborhoods that always cause trouble, fighting, drugs, robbing other students, etc.

Old 02-09-2011, 12:20 PM

Thanks sk for your honesty, I'm trying to figure out whether I should look into private schools. Where I am now the high school isn't great and it isn't terrible just...mediocre....

Old 02-09-2011, 12:29 PM

Sorry I know I've asked this before but I'm trying to figure out if the private schools in the area are worth the money. I'm trying to figure out how to compare them, and I don't know anything outside of NJ which despite its reputation for having good schools has great disparity between cities/towns here. My town's high school is rather mediocre from what I've heard.

Old 02-09-2011, 01:17 PM

3,043 posts, read 7,707,891 times
American Heritage is, I can definitely vouch for it, but if your kid is very bright, Id also look into International Baccalaureate magnets in Broward County.

Old 02-09-2011, 04:26 PM

Thanks, not sure what that is but I'm going to find out.

Old 02-12-2011, 10:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sk071077 View Post
I cant tell you what it is like now but Ive heard in some ways it has changed for the worse since I went there in the early 90's. And when I was there nobody would have considered that to be a good school. There were lots of fights, drugs, and some gangs when I went there. There were two riots in the 3 years I was there where the school was locked down and the police were brought in. There were a lot of bad students there from rough neighborhoods that always cause trouble, fighting, drugs, robbing other students, etc.
The 1990s was a very, very long time ago. I have a nephew who graduated from that high school 4 1/2 years ago. He and his friends who were in their advanced program all did very well. Quite a few of them got scholarships to go to college afterwards. Nothing like what you're describing happened there while they attended.

Old 02-12-2011, 10:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by onegreatnurse View Post
Sorry I know I've asked this before but I'm trying to figure out if the private schools in the area are worth the money. I'm trying to figure out how to compare them, and I don't know anything outside of NJ which despite its reputation for having good schools has great disparity between cities/towns here. My town's high school is rather mediocre from what I've heard.

In my opinion, the private high schools are worth the money but they are VERY expensive. For instance, the annual tuition at American Heritage School in Plantation is as high as a year's tuition at a private university. We're talking $20,000+.
(American Heritage School).

If students are willing to learn they can do well in the public schools, but as you can imagine, some public schools are better than others. You will find that Florida's high schools generally don't compare all that well to school systems in the north. Here we have a problem with many 10th graders who don't know how to do basic algebra or compose a simple essay and have repeatedly failed the FCAT.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area