U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area
 [Register]
Fort Lauderdale area Broward County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2011, 09:38 AM

76 posts, read 232,020 times

Advertisements

We are narrowing down our search for a new house and would be great if you can give your opinion on the following assumptions:

Weston - is great town all around, good schools, any community is nice (or would you rate one higher than the other), commute to Hollywood (Hollywood Blvd & Tyler st) about 30-40 minutes?

Pembroke Pines - good schools, commute to Hollywood 20 -60 minutes
nice communities: Grand Palms, Chapel Trail, Silver Lakes, Pembroke Falls -in what order would you rate them?

Cooper City - has nice pockets, overall older properties that don't hold value over time as much as the two above. Embassy Lakes, Country Glen and Hibbs Grove - nice communities, good schools, commute to Hollywood is about 30 minutes

Thank you guys - you've been great!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2011, 05:39 AM

I am happy to report that after visiting all 3 cities above we chose to settle down in Weston. Now just need to find a house! We tried to drive through Savanna and the Ridges but were not let in.

Our realtor says that for what we are prepared to pay ( up to 300K) we won't have exactly what we need.

BTW, Momma_bear was right about the commute from Hollywood to PP - it was 50 minutes on Sunday! It took us 25 minutes to get from Weston to Hollywood.

Old 01-31-2011, 06:04 AM

11,642 posts, read 22,736,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eyes_green View Post
I am happy to report that after visiting all 3 cities above we chose to settle down in Weston. Now just need to find a house! We tried to drive through Savanna and the Ridges but were not let in.

Our realtor says that for what we are prepared to pay ( up to 300K) we won't have exactly what we need.

BTW, Momma_bear was right about the commute from Hollywood to PP - it was 50 minutes on Sunday! It took us 25 minutes to get from Weston to Hollywood.
We lived in Savanna for 10 years. It is a nice community. What exactly are you looking to get for $300K? I think that in that price range Weston is the best bet in Broward. You will get slightly less house than in other places but the combination of beautiful neighborhoods, better than average (still not good) schools, and lack of traffic congestion on local roads cannot be beat.

I think that if you can spend more there are other nice places to live but for $300K Weston is a great choice.

There is more traffic during rush hour, but I-75 to I-595 is a better commute from PP than Pines/Hollywood Blvd.

Old 01-31-2011, 08:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Momma_bear View Post
We lived in Savanna for 10 years. It is a nice community. What exactly are you looking to get for $300K? I think that in that price range Weston is the best bet in Broward. You will get slightly less house than in other places but the combination of beautiful neighborhoods, better than average (still not good) schools, and lack of traffic congestion on local roads cannot be beat.

I think that if you can spend more there are other nice places to live but for $300K Weston is a great choice.

There is more traffic during rush hour, but I-75 to I-595 is a better commute from PP than Pines/Hollywood Blvd.
We are looking for 4 bedroom 2 bath house, around 2400 sq ft.

What other places within 30 minute commute to Hollywood, with goods schools you can think of? And why did you more from Weston and where?

On the other note... Our 12 year old is having hard time accepting the fact that we are moving to Florida from NYC... I am trying to get him excited, but he is in the state of rebelion.. Anyone can share tips on how to prepare your pre-teen for the move? I can relate to his feelings, as I had to move when I was 13 and I was devasted to leave my friends.

Any activities for kids his age in Weston that I can point out for him? He is into swimming, basketball, outdoors when not too hot..

Last edited by Eyes_green; 01-31-2011 at 08:55 AM..

Old 01-31-2011, 10:35 AM

Quote:
You can probably find a 4/2 for that price but you might have to go smaller than 2400 sf. There is probably quite a lot available in Weston in your price range but it's not all going to be in Savanna. My advice would be to look at everything. There are many nice neighborhoods in Weston.

Quote:
What other places within 30 minute commute to Hollywood, with goods schools you can think of? And why did you more from Weston and where?
I would look carefully at Cooper City. I am sure there are nice places in Cooper City in your price range. Look at everything. We have friends that live in Embassy Lakes and they have a nice 4 BR house that I am sure would sell around $300K.

Also Pembroke Pines is not bad if you can find a house close to I-75. If you take I-75 to I-595 the commute is much better than Pines Blvd.

Schools are really not that great anywhere in Broward but they are best in Weston. Davie has good elementary and middle schools, especially Indian Ridge middle.

We moved to Plantation. Plantation is lovely but the high schools are terrible here. Our kids are in private school. We moved because we wanted to be closer to school/work and we wanted a home on a large lot. I really liked living in Weston. We moved there because we wanted the best elementary schools available to our kids and those are in Weston.

Quote:
On the other note... Our 12 year old is having hard time accepting the fact that we are moving to Florida from NYC... I am trying to get him excited, but he is in the state of rebelion.. Anyone can share tips on how to prepare your pre-teen for the move? I can relate to his feelings, as I had to move when I was 13 and I was devasted to leave my friends.

Any activities for kids his age in Weston that I can point out for him? He is into swimming, basketball, outdoors when not too hot..
Weston has every activity you can imagine.

Old 01-31-2011, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Momma_bear View Post

I would look carefully at Cooper City. I am sure there are nice places in Cooper City in your price range. Look at everything. We have friends that live in Embassy Lakes and they have a nice 4 BR house that I am sure would sell around $300K.

Also Pembroke Pines is not bad if you can find a house close to I-75. If you take I-75 to I-595 the commute is much better than Pines Blvd.

Schools are really not that great anywhere in Broward but they are best in Weston. Davie has good elementary and middle schools, especially Indian Ridge middle.

Weston has every activity you can imagine.
Thank you Momma_bear, you are very helpful and I keep reading your posts that came in Search for weston.

We really did not like CC.... Nor PP... We still have 4-6 months before final move and we will keep looking in Weston. Our real estate broker seems positive that we will find what we are looking for, but may take some time.
Which developments in Weston are closes to I-75?

Old 01-31-2011, 10:49 AM

I think most of the developments in Weston are close to I-75. Look at everything zoned for Cypress Bay High school. There are no bad neighborhoods in Weston.

Some houses in Weston are zoned for Western HS. You can call the school board with an address and they will tell you the zoning. You can also check on the school board web site. Make sure you check on your own. The information you get from realtors is not always accurate.

Old 01-31-2011, 10:59 AM

7,937 posts, read 19,364,041 times
If your child swims look into Weston Aquatics..and the Ymca has swim programs as well..I have 2 Children 12 and almost 16..Both Swim cometitively but we live in Boca Our daughter Club Swims for Pine Crest and my HS Son club Swims Saint Andrews its a great sport and a great way to meet new friends both for you and your children..It has been very good to all of us...

Old 01-31-2011, 01:02 PM

4,342 posts, read 7,207,983 times
Quote:

In Savanna, you can find a foreclosed home in $300K range.

Or a short sale for $400-$450K.

P.S. I just went from Weston to Hollywood beach (Johnson St) yesterday and it was about 25 minutes too. Weston is nicely situated right near i-595 for that.

Old 01-31-2011, 01:07 PM

4,342 posts, read 7,207,983 times
Quote:

You often find a former pro athlete coaching a sport in Weston.

Our neighbors' kids used to have Al Leiter for a pitching coach and Bernie Kosar for a football coach.

Sports programs for kids are great here!

You can still visit NYC when you want - JetBlue flights are pretty easy and reasonable.

I don't miss NYC any more.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area