U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area
 [Register]
Fort Lauderdale area Broward County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2011, 07:30 PM

18 posts, read 59,544 times

Advertisements

Hello you wonderful South Floridians!

Was after a bit of advice- have recently moved to Charlotte from the UK for work. Have found it to be a little dull, there isn’t really that much to do there, though its very ‘nice’.

I’ve spent the last 2 weeks on a project in Fort Lauderdale (Hollywood) and have to admit to being utterly seduced by the sun and palm trees. I love the Ocean.

Basically, I was wondering if there are any downsides to living in SoFlo?

From what I’ve seen, the traffic is worse (though I got from Hollywood to Miami (SW 24th St) in about 45 minutes which I didn’t think was too bad- this was around 6.30) and there is more poverty and hence beggars. Cost of living also probably much higher, particularly if I want to live in a nice area within any proximity to the sea. And there are no ‘seasons’- but Im used to that, being from Manchester where we had year round drizzle and grey, year round sunshine I can live with!

Three other things to consider;
I’d definitely get more visitors from home if I lived near the beach
There are many Shotokan karate clubs here (none in Charlotte- but 3 in Raleigh!, so I can only train when travelling- which breaks my heart, as at home I would train almost every night)
Florida allows car insurance companies to take into account foreign driving history when quoting for insurance. My record is stellar, which would save me around 200$ per month.

I’m a 29 year old single female who makes 75k (before tax) and we have offices in Boca and Miami (as well as Tampa and Jacksonville-which I have also heard positive things about). Anything I should think about before asking for that transfer? I probably wouldn’t want to live in Miami – it sounds pretty scary, but the others I would consider.
Am I likely to have a comfortable lifestyle here- I’m happy to have a roommate, but want to live somewhere with young people (maybe too many snow birds down here?) outdoor activities (no mountains here- so maybe northern florida would suit better?), I can always move to somewhere with low property taxes and good schools if I decide I want a family.

Of course the sensible thing is to give Charlotte a chance, but I know if I stay Il make friends and not want to leave them. If I’m doing this, it has to be like ripping off a bandaid!

Any realistic considerations before I give my boss a heart attack by asking to come here (work may say no, but if you dont ask you dont get!)? Thanks!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2011, 07:40 AM

11,642 posts, read 21,448,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AJ28 View Post
Hello you wonderful South Floridians!

Was after a bit of advice- have recently moved to Charlotte from the UK for work. Have found it to be a little dull, there isn’t really that much to do there, though its very ‘nice’.

I’ve spent the last 2 weeks on a project in Fort Lauderdale (Hollywood) and have to admit to being utterly seduced by the sun and palm trees. I love the Ocean.

Basically, I was wondering if there are any downsides to living in SoFlo?

From what I’ve seen, the traffic is worse (though I got from Hollywood to Miami (SW 24th St) in about 45 minutes which I didn’t think was too bad- this was around 6.30) and there is more poverty and hence beggars. Cost of living also probably much higher, particularly if I want to live in a nice area within any proximity to the sea. And there are no ‘seasons’- but Im used to that, being from Manchester where we had year round drizzle and grey, year round sunshine I can live with!

Three other things to consider;
I’d definitely get more visitors from home if I lived near the beach
There are many Shotokan karate clubs here (none in Charlotte- but 3 in Raleigh!, so I can only train when travelling- which breaks my heart, as at home I would train almost every night)
Florida allows car insurance companies to take into account foreign driving history when quoting for insurance. My record is stellar, which would save me around 200$ per month.

I’m a 29 year old single female who makes 75k (before tax) and we have offices in Boca and Miami (as well as Tampa and Jacksonville-which I have also heard positive things about). Anything I should think about before asking for that transfer? I probably wouldn’t want to live in Miami – it sounds pretty scary, but the others I would consider.
Am I likely to have a comfortable lifestyle here- I’m happy to have a roommate, but want to live somewhere with young people (maybe too many snow birds down here?) outdoor activities (no mountains here- so maybe northern florida would suit better?), I can always move to somewhere with low property taxes and good schools if I decide I want a family.

Of course the sensible thing is to give Charlotte a chance, but I know if I stay Il make friends and not want to leave them. If I’m doing this, it has to be like ripping off a bandaid!

Any realistic considerations before I give my boss a heart attack by asking to come here (work may say no, but if you dont ask you dont get!)? Thanks!
Downsides are: Although it is warm here all year it rains every day in the summer. It doesn't rain all day, but it rains almost every day in the late afternoon.

It is really hot here in the summer and the summer lasts a long time.

Cost of living is relatively high.

Traffic is bad at certain times and in certain places.

If you do not like old people do not move here. Anywhere you live you will encounter lots of senior citizens.

I love living here but there are some downsides and you should definitely take account of them before you move.

Old 02-04-2011, 09:33 AM

56 posts, read 144,815 times
I don't think there are that many senior citizens in SoFlo...I think there are a lot more people under 65 than over! There are a lot of working professionals, particularly in Miami-Dade.

As far as downsides: there are a ton of spanish speakers. It would be to your advantage to know the language. I also think that South FL is generally a dirty place, I wouldn't say it's completely "well-kempt". Others may disagree, but after traveling a bit, I can honestly say the beaches & surrounding areas are nice but further west can either be really sketchy. It depends on which turn you make. The nicer neighborhoods tend to have very little character, you have your run of the mill cookie cutter "Florida homes". There are a lot of bugs and weird creatures. The heat/humidity can be unbearable in the Summer!! And that's coming from a South FL native. I hope you have A/C in your car. Also, salaries are often not commensurate with the cost of living. But I think you will do fine with your current income. There are a lot transient people; they tend not to stay here very long. This can make dating difficult and even forming friendships with people!

Other than that, I like South FL! Great weather from October-Mar/April. The sunshine and bright blue sky in the middle of winter is pretty amazing. Lots of great food, festivals, music events. Plenty to do!

Old 02-04-2011, 05:39 PM

3,913 posts, read 8,401,250 times
I disagree Momma Bear. The senior-citizen problem is isolated to certain areas such as Sunrise Lakes, Margate, Tamarac, and Deerfield. Most of Broward County seems very balanced between ages. East Broward has a large young population of people in their 20's and 30's mixed in with snowbirds and tourists. West Broward is dominated by middle-class and working-class families.

South FL is no longer a major retiree destination for seniors. That was true in the 70's and 80's, but not anymore. These days, they're all moving to Naples, Fort Myers, Sarasota, and suburban Orlando.

Old 02-04-2011, 09:04 PM

1,336 posts, read 4,572,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nolefan34 View Post

South FL is no longer a major retiree destination for seniors.
are u serious?? there are retirees ALL OVER south florida and its still a major retiree/snow bird destination. there are retirees all over eastern and western broward and even moreso in palm beach county. boca and delray have tons of old people as does miami beach. sure there are plenty of younger people but retirees are everywhere in south florida

Old 02-05-2011, 06:35 AM

351 posts, read 1,017,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AJ28 View Post

I think you can definitely live comfortably on your salary in the Boca/Delray Beach area and I can guarantee you would prefer it after visiting Miami. I would ABSOLUTELY choose the Boca office.

While Boca has its downsides (lots of superficial people, like a Florida version of Orange County CA) but the area is a lot more pleasant and well-kept, I am certain there are plenty of karate training opportunities, and there are lots of young people congregating in the Delray Beach area clubs and restaurants.

Old 02-05-2011, 12:33 PM

11,642 posts, read 21,448,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nolefan34 View Post
I disagree Momma Bear. The senior-citizen problem is isolated to certain areas such as Sunrise Lakes, Margate, Tamarac, and Deerfield. Most of Broward County seems very balanced between ages. East Broward has a large young population of people in their 20's and 30's mixed in with snowbirds and tourists. West Broward is dominated by middle-class and working-class families.

South FL is no longer a major retiree destination for seniors. That was true in the 70's and 80's, but not anymore. These days, they're all moving to Naples, Fort Myers, Sarasota, and suburban Orlando.
Are you serious? There are loads of older folks in all of Broward and particularly in the eastern part of Broward. They do not all live in senior communities. Many seniors just live in regular mixed housing.

I don't mind the older folks, but if someone does not like older folks this is NOT the place to live. There are people here of all ages, it's not ONLY seniors, but there is a much larger percentage of older folks than in other places. If people cannot take the little old lady who walks through the supermarket at a snail's pace they will be miserable here. I love old folks. They make me smile.

Old 02-07-2011, 06:41 PM

18 posts, read 59,544 times
Thanks for all your responses guys! Probably just a pipe dream, but I will heavily hint to my boss that if they need someone down here, Id be willing to take one for the team (read = pick me, pick me!). Tis not an irresverible decision :-)

Old 02-07-2011, 06:52 PM

157 posts, read 560,146 times
I've lieved near Charlotte for 5 years due to work and begged to come back to Florida, it's all about your personality I believe. I was not made to go through 5 months of winter and sad trees, I much prefer the sunshine with rain and all in the afternoons! It is as hot in NC during the summer as it is in FL, I can say that without a doubt! As for old people they are everywhere, there were a lot of older people in NC also! Hey, we're going to get old some day too!!! A little patience goes a long way. But I do think that FL has a good balance between retirees and younger people these days that it did years ago. If I were you I would definetely choose the Boca office and you don't even have to live in Boca depending on where it's located. You could find a very nice place near the water and work in Boca, the traffic on those areas are not bad at all, I do it all the time! Good luck making a decision : )

Old 02-27-2011, 11:30 AM

180 posts, read 368,214 times
Honestly it's what you make of it. No matter where you live or go in life there are always going to be downsides and upsides. FYI:Jacksonville is a nice area but, there are #1 in the country for high crime rate then Tampa/Orlando is third, Miami/FTL/WPB is sixth. I suggest moving to Tallahassee or Daytona it's crime there as well but, not that much. Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area