Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area
 [Register]
Fort Lauderdale area Broward County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2011, 02:18 PM

4,346 posts, read 7,828,936 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fauve View Post
There are NO bears in Weston. (Are there?)
A year or two ago, a bear walked into Weston, from the Everglades. After a few days, it was captured and released in the Everglades.

I think it then walked all the way to Georgia where it was shot.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2011, 02:22 PM

Oui, il'y a des ours en Everglades. Et parfois en Weston.

Old 02-15-2011, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock Newman View Post
You do not need to speak Spanish to live in Weston ... yes there are a lot of Spanish speakers .... but most are well to do professional Hispanics from Argentina , Colombia and Venezuela ... nicest neighbors we had there were from those countries ... Weston is still over 50% white non hispanic and a great place to live with lovely parks and amenities .
I am a prime example. I don't speak a lick of Spanish, and I have lived in Weston for 10+ years

I have had all kinds of Spanish neighbors and they did OK communicating with me in English.

Also had French Canadian neighbors.

And even Russian neighbors too.

P.S. it is true that when you walk into many a store in Weston, they will greet you in Spanish. But if they see that you no habla, they will easily switch to English.

Old 02-15-2011, 04:40 PM

8 posts, read 30,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ruski View Post
Oui, il'y a des ours en Everglades. Et parfois en Weston.
OK Ruski, I got it-there are bears in Weston! Still no scared.

We live in Toronto so we speak english.My son is learning french, like his third language, in Extended French Program(he does half day french-half day english)and he's doing great. I was wondering if will have this opportunity in Weston.
Thanks!

Old 02-15-2011, 10:58 PM

Haven't heard of such programs around here, but on the other hand, I haven't really looked. Shame on me, 'cause my kids are growing up language-oblivious.

Looks like there is something like this:
Weston Language Schools English classes, Spanish Portuguese French lessons. Learn a new language Today (http://www.inlingua-if.com/inlingua/locations-miami-florida/weston.aspx - broken link)

Old 02-16-2011, 02:39 AM

2,113 posts, read 5,076,448 times
Quote:
I am a prime example. I don't speak a lick of Spanish, and I have lived in Weston for 10+ years

I have had all kinds of Spanish neighbors and they did OK communicating with me in English.

P.S. it is true that when you walk into many a store in Weston, they will greet you in Spanish. But if they see that you no habla, they will easily switch to English.
Although I do not live in Weston any longer ... my family and I were there for four years and we loved it ... I did not find that to be the case with Spanish ... I was only initially spoken to in Spanish at the Colombian or Venezuelan bakeries or restaurants and some of the gas stations ... all other places like Starbucks , Publix , chain restaurants and most any place else was English ..... we had Canadian neighbors , Rumanian and Russian as well ... it was a great place to live ... we love our house in Parkland more than the one in Weston .... but overall we liked the city of Weston better than Parkland .

Old 02-16-2011, 11:44 AM

Yeah, houses in Parkland look spectacular. Although you could find similar architecture in Weston too, but in more expensive developments.

Old 02-20-2011, 04:28 PM

9,444 posts, read 17,383,485 times
Quote:

I agree. The lack of Spanish hasn't been an obstacle for me thus far. Although I look Hispanic, so people speak to me in Spanish all. the. time.

Old 02-21-2011, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by max's mama View Post
I agree. The lack of Spanish hasn't been an obstacle for me thus far. Although I look Hispanic, so people speak to me in Spanish all. the. time.
Answer back in Russian, just for giggles.

Old 02-23-2011, 05:48 PM

9,444 posts, read 17,383,485 times
Quote:
answer back in russian, just for giggles.

да.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area