Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area
 [Register]
Fort Lauderdale area Broward County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2012, 01:44 PM

355 posts, read 1,583,006 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gentle003 View Post
Living in Canada,planning to move to Weston Fl; any thoughts?
Thanks
Weston is really beautiful. Almost like a Disney World, or Truman Show type of beautiful. But Weston is a real city. For the 2012-2013 school year, there are proposed changes in middle school assignments that have yet to be voted on by the Broward School Board, because of overcrowding.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2012, 04:25 PM

4,346 posts, read 7,823,743 times
Truman Show was based on the Celebration, and Weston has a lot of the Celebration traits.

Old 07-13-2012, 08:04 PM

142 posts, read 439,405 times
I loved reading through this, as we are about 97% sure we are moving to Weston.

I know the schools look great...anyone have any elementary advice? Are they all good? Some better than others?

What about neighborhoods? Are there different feels to each? Or is it all about finding the right house? We are traveling down there in 2 weeks, meeting with a realtor and looking around. We have our housing criteria, but I'm wondering if we would like some areas or neighborhoods (and schools) better than others? Any big differences?

Old 07-13-2012, 09:31 PM

Okay, duh. I should probably give specifics. For example, we are a family of 5, with young kids. Are any neighborhoods more family friendly? We are looking for a community pool. Maybe we are strange, but a pool in our backyard isn't a big deal, we want one to hang out and meet neighbors! Are neighborhood pools not popular since SO MANY people in south Florida have their own pool? What about swim teams? I grew up with a neighborhood swim team, it was such a fun way to spend the summer, practice followed by hours at the pool!! Does this happen anywhere?

What about neighborhood parks?

Do kids walk to school? I realize with zoning many may be too far. What about buses? Is that normal? Or is that crazy? Do parents drop off their kids.

I'm a stay at home mom...is that normal around there?

What about little ones. Like 3 year olds...do they have 3 year old preschools around?

Those are just a few specifics!

Thanks!

Old 07-13-2012, 10:09 PM

995 posts, read 3,928,913 times
I'll give it a shot. But some of your questions are already answered. Search.

1. Are any neighborhoods more family friendly?
A: You should target a neighborhood with similar aged kids. I found some communities have large teen population and while others have high toddler population. The year when the subdivision was developed may give you some insights.

2. Are neighborhood pools not popular since SO MANY people in south Florida have their own pool?
A: My community pool (Savanna) is usually (sometimes too) crowded.

3. What about swim teams? I grew up with a neighborhood swim team, it was such a fun way to spend the summer, practice followed by hours at the pool!! Does this happen anywhere?
A: It happens at YMCA, which is in Weston regional park.

4. What about neighborhood parks?
A: Lots of kids. A good place to meet other parents.

5. Do kids walk to school?
A: Many do. Bus service is not available if the house is within 2(?) miles of the school.

6. I realize with zoning many may be too far. What about buses? Is that normal? Or is that crazy?
A: Bus is very normal.

7. Do parents drop off their kids?
A: Many do.

8. I'm a stay at home mom...is that normal around there?
A: Yes.

9. What about little ones. Like 3 year olds...do they have 3 year old preschools around?
A: Yes. There are 4-5 preschools within Weston. I remember a specific thread on this topic.

Old 07-14-2012, 12:33 AM

Thanks acegolfer! Those were very helpful!!

Old 07-15-2012, 09:14 AM

4,346 posts, read 7,823,743 times
Savanna has the best pool area with TWO BIG pools (one is a lap pool and the other is a resort style pool), plus a water slide, plus a separate kids pool with a small water slide, plus a baby pool.

And Savanna is the closest to YMCA
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area