Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area
 [Register]
Fort Lauderdale area Broward County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2011, 10:04 PM

3,043 posts, read 7,710,346 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nolefan34 View Post
Eh. Because teenage boys do stupid things to be cool. Its not that there WERE alligators where we were swimming. Its that there could be alligators. They're not always sitting out in the open sunning themselves. And there are snakes and toxins in the water. Chances are, if you jump into these waters you will not get eaten by an alligator or bitten by a snake, but the risks are too high.

Why is it that you never see someone swimming in these waters Fuave? There is a reason. Also, it is not a good idea to let your dog run around near these waters. Alligators love to eat dogs.
People dont swim in these waters because people have better options! Plus, parents tell their kids not to - they're not safe. The water is dark, there's algae, iguanas, fish, turtles and the bottom is uneven. Plus everyone has pools and you can swim in, and the ocean, both of which are a LOT nicer. Would people not swim in the ocean because occasionally there's a shark sighting or attack? What about all of the man of war and the riptide? There are a lot better reasons not to swim in the ocean and yet people do it because it is enjoyable.

You are really needlessly scaring people from living on canals in Broward. Now, you're telling them their kids *and dogs* are going to be eaten. Lighten up, dude.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2011, 04:35 PM

3,910 posts, read 9,471,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fauve View Post
People dont swim in these waters because people have better options! Plus, parents tell their kids not to - they're not safe. The water is dark, there's algae, iguanas, fish, turtles and the bottom is uneven. Plus everyone has pools and you can swim in, and the ocean, both of which are a LOT nicer. Would people not swim in the ocean because occasionally there's a shark sighting or attack? What about all of the man of war and the riptide? There are a lot better reasons not to swim in the ocean and yet people do it because it is enjoyable.

You are really needlessly scaring people from living on canals in Broward. Now, you're telling them their kids *and dogs* are going to be eaten. Lighten up, dude.
Fuave-

You're taking my comments way too seriously. I never said don't live on canals. I said don't swim in them. Yes, they are dangerous to swim in. Sorry, but I think you're totally wrong on this issue. I'm not trying to scare people, its just common sense if you grew up in Florida anywhere on freshwater lakes, canals, or rivers. Most residents know this, but tourists may not be aware. And as relevant to the original poster, the Loxahatchee Waterway has tons of alligators and would be suicidal to swim in these waters.

You are comparing apples and oranges with sharks and lightning strikes. Sharks rarely swim up to shore where most swimmers go. There are also lifeguards who monitor the waters and warn swimmers to get out. Lightning strikes are 1 in 1 million, but still most people avoid going out in a bad t-storm.

It is a fact that alligators and snakes live in canals. Snakes are pretty abundant and alligators are more spread out. If you swim in a canal daily, I would put your odds of getting attacked by an alligator or bitten by a snake much much higher than getting struck by lightning or bitten by a shark. I personally have encountered many types of snakes including cottonmouths in these types of waters, although I've been lucky not to have been bit. I actually stepped on a cottonmouth once along the side of a drainage ditch. So these species do reside in these waters. Even though the chances of being eaten by an alligator are relatively low, the other risks are still too great. If you feel like playing Russian Roulette, go ahead and swim in these waters. I'm guessing you never have.

Old 02-09-2011, 06:08 PM

3,043 posts, read 7,710,346 times
Right, because I prefer a swimming pool and the ocean!

Deaths & injuries due to lightening per year in Florida: 1523 The Most Dangerous States for Lightning Related Injuries and Deaths

Deaths due to alligators per year in Florida: 18 over the past 60 years. Human deaths in the U.S. caused by Animals « History Lists

Old 02-10-2011, 12:24 PM

3,910 posts, read 9,471,842 times
Ok Fuave, whatever you say.

Old 09-14-2011, 12:15 PM

1 posts, read 1,956 times
I am amazed by Fauve's blatant ignorance and outright stubborness. I have lived in Florida my entire life. I worked at Jonathan Dickinson State Park AT THE SWIMMING AREA. Almost weekly, I would see an 11 footer swimming outside the ropes off area. The ONLY reason they have a ropes off swimming area is because the State Park regulations require one. That's not to say that an alligator couldnt swim right underneath it. If you take the boat tour that JDSP offers, you will see plenty of large alligators. Do you think they're put there as decoration?? If you live anywhere outside of the big cities (like in the suburbs) listen quietly one night....you can hear them everywhere. Your blindness to the obvious risks is going to get you killed!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area