Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area
 [Register]
Fort Lauderdale area Broward County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2011, 08:57 AM

400 posts, read 738,451 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

I've been reading this forum for a lo-o-o-o-ong time and pretty much read everything in the Fort Lauderdale section, although I haven't commented much. I've been thinking-planning-hoping to move to South Florida when I retire in a couple of years.

I think this forum is a terrific place to get ideas, to brainstorm and find out how different kinds of people experience the same place, depending on their own circumstances. It helps me think through what I want to do. I know that ultimately I have to go with my gut feeling about what would make a place "home" for me.

I live on Long Island, work at a university and, as I said, am saving up for retirement, at which time I can either continue to live here or move somewhere else. This is home for me, comfortable, but I am looking for a warm year-round climate while keeping some of the same resources I have here -- arts/culture, health care, diversity, education, ocean. I have some health issues that would be helped by the warm climate as well, although I've had some disappointing experiences with Florida health care....but that's another story.

I'm not sure where I want to live yet, but it will be in the Fort Lauderdale area. My mom stays in a place in Aventura in the winter (she's a snowbird) and I like it there. I also like Hollywood a lot (mainly I've been to the broadwalk, a nice place to walk), and I've been up to Coconut Creek and I like it there, too. I will have to give this some thought, maybe rent first and see what I like.

Sometimes I wonder if I will miss it here, or if I am not looking at Florida realistically. I know that I'm trying to, but, hey, sometimes we get a bug to do something and it seems like the right thing, and we fix things in our head to listen only to the good stuff and ignore the bad. On the one hand, that can be a great motivator. It can also be as bad as wearing blinders.

In the last couple days, in a post about moving back to where someone came from, one of you posted links to a series of posts by Shoegal1075, all about how she moved down to FL and then back to the NY area. It really made me think. I know that once I sell my place and move out, I will probably not be able to move back, as I'll be priced out. I guess my question is similar -- but I want to aim it toward retirees:

Have any of you moved BACK after moving to Florida? Where did you move back to, and why?

Thanks, everyone!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2011, 10:59 AM

7,937 posts, read 20,379,501 times
When you relocate anywhere you need to make sure you know all the Bad and the Good so there are No surprises...Nothing is perfect, as I can tell you we left NY/NJ back in 07 lived in NC for 2 years and have been here in Florida almost 2 years and this was the best move..You also are a different situation as you will be retiring ShoeGal had a family and need jobs etc so that is something to think about...You have to know this isnt NYC and if one is expecting it to be well they will be Disappointed...We would never go back to NY/NJ as this feels like home for us and our children...I didnt move with Blinders and you need to make a few trips and when you do pretend you are living here and not on Vacation...My Parents are snowbirds from NJ but we are all born and raised in Brooklyn my parents love it here but they could never live here full time...they have a fantastic life back home and a great life when they are here since all their friends from back home all stay in florida also for the winter...they are very active and are in an Adult Community and love it...back home they are also in an adult community and are busy 7 days a week...

Good Luck with whatever it is you decide..Take your time and No what it is your looking for...

Old 02-18-2011, 11:42 AM

Hi Swimmom, thanks for your reply! I've read many of your posts in other threads and am glad that the move to Florida has been a good one for you and your family. You followed your instincts and did what was best for you. There has been a lot of hype about NC as well but I know a couple of people who were disappointed in it there.

I am not expecting or even hoping that it's NYC there. I'm not a city gal and don't like the city, only go into the city when I have to. I'm about 60 miles east in the suburbs.

The thing I said about blinders is because I know I tend to be that way sometimes. Or maybe it's not really blinders, but I tend to build up a case for something that I really want to do. Maybe I should start as a snowbird and pretend I'm living there for a few months, as you say, but not give up my apartment here yet. (I own it.)

If you want to share, why do your parents not want to live there full time? My mom is thinking that eventually she may move to the place in Florida where she stays in the winter, once she stops driving. I think that would be a good idea. She's 84, and it's getting harder to get around, go shopping, deal with the weather up here, etc. Down there she has a shuttle bus to take her to shopping and doctors' appointments.

Old 02-18-2011, 01:33 PM

7,937 posts, read 20,379,501 times
My Parents just aren't Floridians..lol they are very happy here from Jan to end of April... I think its also because at their age change is a bit scary...All their friends are in NJ and my sister lives in Staten Island and she has 2 boys much younger than my children...My mom refuses to drive here as they scare her...but when you ask her well then why do you come in the winter she says well I hate the cold, I love the warmth of florida weather during these months, she comes to see the grandkids her friends are here in the winter and my uncle her brother lives 15 min from me...She just mentions from time to time although she loves it here in the winter she Wouldnt want to live here all year round...My dad is 73 and my mom is 68...

Old 02-18-2011, 03:44 PM

143 posts, read 416,008 times
Since you know the area from visiting you already have some ideas. Cons for me: Summers here are brutally hot & humid. Although I lived in NJ with hot, humid, buggy summers- my first 6 weeks here (August/Sept.) I felt like I was in a sauna. There is little to no shade, many nights stay above 80F and even the ocean water was too warm to cool me off! I also miss the change of seasons.
IMO opinion nothing beats NY arts scene. But I am starting to find fun things here: I have gone to Broward center and loved the show & this weekend Ft. Lauderdale art museum had a traveling vatican treasures exhibit that was great. So there are art/cultural things to do here plus lots of outdoor nature attractions, golf, beach, everglades, etc. Something for everyone as they say.
Since we moved here I see why so many northerners are attracted to retire here.
Good luck!

Old 02-18-2011, 04:16 PM

1,108 posts, read 4,217,927 times
I was raised on Long Island and eventually moved to Westchester and then to Rockland...and as much as I loved Long Island, I would never think of moving back...my brother stills lives on the island...and just the taxes alone are enough of a reason to move out and never return...as far as Florida...my wife and I are also looking to move to the Fort Lauderdale area...and have looked at several homes...about the only good thing about not being there yet...is that the real estate prices are still dropping in Florida...for homes we would of bought for 300K are now 250 to 275...JUST MOVE AND DUCK NY....

Old 02-18-2011, 04:41 PM

I hear you, Swimmom. Change definitely gets harder as you get older, plus your parents have grandchildren up north and in Florida and friends in both places. I don't have grandchildren yet, but have three grown children living in different locations, only one of whom is near me while she goes to school. Who knows where they'll all end up living, near me or far. As long as I'm near a good airport and they live near airports, we'll manage to visit each other. (Of course, I'll see how I feel once I have grandchildren!)

Old 02-18-2011, 04:48 PM

Hi Dede, I also lived in NJ at one time for about 5 years, in the Meadowlands area. The two things you mention, the heat and the lack of change of seasons, are my two biggest worries. I love summer and don't mind heat, but the fact that people are always talking about it makes me wonder how much of a factor it is. Up here, I'm always sad that the summer is over so soon. The cold of winter is so terrible, and the ice that you can slip and fall on, and the isolation I sometimes feel in the very cold weather, I'm thinking has to be worse.

The thing about using weather as a factor, weather factors into anywhere you live. There is always something not to like about it no matter where you are, whether it's tornadoes or ice storms or dryness or humidity. Hopefully the positives outweigh the negatives in that respect.

I happen to really like the fall, and think I'd miss that. But I can always visit my kids and friends up north in the fall.

Old 02-18-2011, 04:51 PM

Rusty, are the prices still coming down? I thought I heard things were turning around.

Old 02-18-2011, 10:47 PM

2,033 posts, read 3,207,841 times
Living back on LI as we left So. Fla in 2006. after 7 years there. The main reasons we moved back was I could not deal with the horrible heat and humidity. THere were a few other personal minor details. Also family & friends were here in NY. There are things we missed in NY when we lived in Fl....Visa versa..miss things in Fl. now that am back in NY, so it goes both ways. The other thing that made it hard for me in Fl. was the BUGS!! They never die!! You never get a break as it never gets cold enough.

That being said we are at this point for the past year seriously planning on movign back to Fl. soon. Not Sure if will be Broward again though. Might go further north.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area