Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area
 [Register]
Fort Lauderdale area Broward County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2009, 01:11 PM

28 posts, read 68,318 times

Advertisements

I posted before and asked some questions about Davie and Weston. We are a young family and will be moving down there shortly. We are leaning towards living in Davie - but have not ruled out other places yet. We are extremely interested in good schools (we have a 4 and 2 yr. olds). We have heard some not so favorable things about schools in Planation and bussing. Do you guys have any info on that? Also, if there are any neighborhoods you suggest? Thanks so much!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2009, 01:14 PM

8,377 posts, read 30,800,341 times
Central Park Elementary School is excellent, otherwise it kind of goes downhill from there. Plantation has attractive neighborhoods but not a great school district.

Old 08-31-2009, 02:51 PM

355 posts, read 1,579,342 times
Weston is more upscale than Davie and Plantation. Davie has a nicer area west of Pine Island Road to I-75,and north of Orange Drive to I-595. As well as a pocket of Davie between Volunteer Road and Dykes Road, north of Sheridan Street. Plantation has some lovely homes, but the pubic schools there are not great. Some Weston schools may be overcrowded. In my opinion, Weston is too 'pretty' for me. I live in Cooper City. We have great schools, and the community is 50 yrs old. Here is the link to the Broward School System Web site, and you can check how schools in the area of interest are doing. Broward County Public Schools

Old 08-31-2009, 03:29 PM

2,517 posts, read 11,017,187 times
Plantation has a volunteer fire dept

Old 09-08-2009, 09:53 PM

18 posts, read 40,783 times
I lived in the plantation davie area since 1986. Just ask me about specific areas and I can tell you if it's a nice area ans how the schools are ect. The thing about the schoolsaround here is that they mix neighborhoods. I made it ok but it changes things. You should check out Cooper city . There they don't bus kids in from everywhere and it's a really nice community. Rock creek in Cooper city is really nice. In davie I really like The forest ridge neighborhood. It's really great for kids as is rock creek. Both neighboorhoods have great schools.

Ask me if you have any other questions.

Old 09-08-2009, 10:01 PM

3,043 posts, read 7,680,378 times
Plantation has more "neighborhoods." It has a strong sense of community because most of the houses are older there. IMO, I don't think developments truly becomes 'neighborhoods' until they have been there for around 20 years. It is not primarily a cookie-cutter home type community.

I do not agree that Weston is more upscale. Both have housing that runs in the same price range, low to high. Weston is newer overall. There are however some older, lovely neighborhoods like the Tequestas that are coming close to that 20 year old benchmark.

Last edited by fauve; 09-08-2009 at 10:14 PM..

Old 09-08-2009, 10:56 PM

What drives me crazy about Weston is how the stores are so far from the housing. ( hard to describe).

Plantation is also very nice I grew up there in fact. I thing the better part of plantation is the south and west parts of plantation.

Old 09-09-2009, 05:11 PM

9,444 posts, read 17,334,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SFLORIDIAN View Post
What drives me crazy about Weston is how the stores are so far from the housing. ( hard to describe).

Plantation is also very nice I grew up there in fact. I thing the better part of plantation is the south and west parts of plantation.
Hi!
Can you elaborate what you mean? I'm new to Weston, just moved couple of weeks ago, but it seems as if there are stores EVERYWHERE, all within couple of minutes driving distance.

To the OP: I'm not familiar with any other towns in Broward County, but seems that schools are great in Weston in comparison to the rest of the state. There are so many young families with infants. Everywhere I look there are young couples with kids. Very family friendly.

Old 09-09-2009, 06:06 PM

[quote=max's mama;10682912]Hi!
Can you elaborate what you mean? I'm new to Weston, just moved couple of weeks ago, but it seems as if there are stores EVERYWHERE, all within couple of minutes driving distance. [quote]

Looks like I struck a nerve. Didn't mean any disrespect to Weston but that's how I feel . I'll try to elaborate by saying that when I decided to start looking for a new place I first started by looking around me for a more local option. I looked into all the neighborhoods I could in the southeast broward area. Also like I said I grew up in south Florida and have friends all over broward , I know the diffirent areas pretty well. When I explored Weston I did a lot of driving around and nighborhood exploring but found that damn near every neighborhood was gated. Me personally I find gated neighborhoods to be a hastle for my frinds and family and not really needed if your in a good area. I have friends in gated neighborhoods and everytime I go there on say a weekend I spend half and hour in line to get in. Just not my preference. And the way the area Is zoned all the houses are in one area and the stores are clustered in another. It's not a bad thing I was just pointing it out that's all.Hope I cleared up what I was trying to say. Weston is a very nice place to live I and the schools are good but it's not like other areas that's all I meant . Most parts are very nicely landscaped and it is a safe place to live aswell

Old 09-09-2009, 08:03 PM

9,444 posts, read 17,334,547 times
[quote=SFLORIDIAN;10683689][quote=max's mama;10682912]Hi!
Can you elaborate what you mean? I'm new to Weston, just moved couple of weeks ago, but it seems as if there are stores EVERYWHERE, all within couple of minutes driving distance.
Quote:

Looks like I struck a nerve. Didn't mean any disrespect to Weston but that's how I feel . I'll try to elaborate by saying that when I decided to start looking for a new place I first started by looking around me for a more local option. I looked into all the neighborhoods I could in the southeast broward area. Also like I said I grew up in south Florida and have friends all over broward , I know the diffirent areas pretty well. When I explored Weston I did a lot of driving around and nighborhood exploring but found that damn near every neighborhood was gated. Me personally I find gated neighborhoods to be a hastle for my frinds and family and not really needed if your in a good area. I have friends in gated neighborhoods and everytime I go there on say a weekend I spend half and hour in line to get in. Just not my preference. And the way the area Is zoned all the houses are in one area and the stores are clustered in another. It's not a bad thing I was just pointing it out that's all.Hope I cleared up what I was trying to say. Weston is a very nice place to live I and the schools are good but it's not like other areas that's all I meant . Most parts are very nicely landscaped and it is a safe place to live aswell
Thanks for clarifying. You didn't really strike a nerve, I was just confused because I don't know any other towns in the area yet, so I thought originally that Weston stores are close, but I see what you mean now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area