Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area
 [Register]
Fort Lauderdale area Broward County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2010, 05:14 AM

76 posts, read 298,920 times

Advertisements

How is Riverfront/Riverwalk doing these days? When I was in Ft Lauderdale a few years ago, I visited the shops and cinema and found that they were a nice addition to a reviving downtown. But those sorts of venues can thrive or fail. In fact, there were some postings in 2007 claiming that Riverfrong was in foreclosure. What is the current state of the entertainment center?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2010, 11:45 AM

6,993 posts, read 17,363,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by retiree1 View Post
How is Riverfront/Riverwalk doing these days? When I was in Ft Lauderdale a few years ago, I visited the shops and cinema and found that they were a nice addition to a reviving downtown. But those sorts of venues can thrive or fail. In fact, there were some postings in 2007 claiming that Riverfrong was in foreclosure. What is the current state of the entertainment center?
That place looks like it belongs in Detroit. A lot of the cool shops they had there are GONE. A LOT of vacancy and the owners went bankrupt. Not sure who owns it now though and I am not sure of what plans they have for it either. The theater is still there though which is really cool for us downtowners (I guess). At one point they were supposed to build some condos or something there (stupid idea in my opinion) and a Publix (yea even though there is one RIGHT across the bridge). Then there is some downtown master plan where they want to build a government complex and add big box retail or something like that. That one was a bit more reasonable i guess but with fort lauderdale in a ton of debt I don't see that happening

Old 01-29-2010, 08:31 PM

3,910 posts, read 9,469,718 times
Detroit? What about it looks like Detroit? LOL. It is a very nice area. In somewhat of a slump right now just like everywhere else. But go there on Friday or Saturday nights and it is packed with people going out to bars and clubs. It is the central entertainment area for Broward County.

Old 01-29-2010, 09:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nolefan34 View Post
Detroit? What about it looks like Detroit? LOL. It is a very nice area. In somewhat of a slump right now just like everywhere else. But go there on Friday or Saturday nights and it is packed with people going out to bars and clubs. It is the central entertainment area for Broward County.
I live downtown man. That place looks like a DUMP. Do not confuse the river front with himmershee village. One is that big two story complex where the theater is, and there is probably over 50% of the shops are now EMPTY. Then there is himmershee village which is where the imax is on. I have walked around there at night and I assure you that place looks nothing like it used to and many of the bars dont have many patrons. Now compare that with Say lincoln road where that place stays packed and they don't have a 50% vacancy rate. But again I think we may have gotten confused as far as what area is called what because there is no doubt/question that the river front is in a BAD situation. The owners went into bankruptcy and the place went up for auction, if thats not bad I dont know what is.

Old 01-29-2010, 09:26 PM

8,377 posts, read 30,898,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Style View Post
The owners went into bankruptcy and the place went up for auction, if thats not bad I dont know what is.
Didn't it sell for like 25 bucks? Not sure if this is true but I remember hearing this somewhere and not believing it...

Old 01-29-2010, 10:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by compelled to reply View Post
Didn't it sell for like 25 bucks? Not sure if this is true but I remember hearing this somewhere and not believing it...
I didn't follow the auction to be honest. I am curious to see what they are going to do with it. The whole turn it into a condo idea is beyond terrible.

Old 01-29-2010, 10:41 PM

8,377 posts, read 30,898,943 times
I found the story...knew there had to be a catch Las Olas Riverfront retail and entertainment center in Fort Lauderdale sold at public auction today - South Florida Sun-Sentinel.com

Old 01-29-2010, 11:09 PM

2,685 posts, read 6,422,668 times
Quote:
I didn't follow the auction to be honest. I am curious to see what they are going to do with it. The whole turn it into a condo idea is beyond terrible.
Why do you think it's terrible? Or am I misunderstanding that they wanted to turn the commercial properties into condos? Or did they want to add condos to that area?

In reality, I think that's what's lacking down there. Mixed used developments. Let's do some late friday night brainstorming for a bit.

(anyone here? )

1. Would it not make sense to revitalize the area by either building affordable condos in the area? I know there's also a Broward College Campus in the area, wouldn't having affordable housing be an added bonus?

2. I think the fact that there aren't many residents in the area is a reason for it to fail. If all you build is a small business district that's built for night clubs and bars, 1 movie theatre, with a low amount of residents in the area, isn't it destined to fail after a while? People only come on Fridays, and Saturdays doesn't look packed. Are those two days enough for the business owners to make ends meet?

3. Why not make like West 4th (the Village) or Castleberry Hills (Atlanta), where you have lofts, small businesses and clubs in the same area?
I know, Im asking for a lot.

As nice as Castleberry Hills is, while being better than many Miami and Ft Lauderdale areas, it could still use a boost in activities, especially during winter week nights. A place where people can live, dine, party, and shop?

Most people visiting the place don't live there, or near there. I went there months ago, and there were plenty of people, but it didn't feel the same.

Anyways, these are thoughts. Care to chyme in with ideas, rebuttals and suggestions as to why they went wrong in Riverfront.

And Wild, thanks for clearing up the difference. I never knew where IMAX was located was called Himmershee Village. I thought it was part of the Las Olas area.

Old 01-30-2010, 08:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterNY View Post
Why do you think it's terrible? Or am I misunderstanding that they wanted to turn the commercial properties into condos? Or did they want to add condos to that area?

In reality, I think that's what's lacking down there. Mixed used developments. Let's do some late friday night brainstorming for a bit.

(anyone here? )

1. Would it not make sense to revitalize the area by either building affordable condos in the area? I know there's also a Broward College Campus in the area, wouldn't having affordable housing be an added bonus?

2. I think the fact that there aren't many residents in the area is a reason for it to fail. If all you build is a small business district that's built for night clubs and bars, 1 movie theatre, with a low amount of residents in the area, isn't it destined to fail after a while? People only come on Fridays, and Saturdays doesn't look packed. Are those two days enough for the business owners to make ends meet?

3. Why not make like West 4th (the Village) or Castleberry Hills (Atlanta), where you have lofts, small businesses and clubs in the same area?
I know, Im asking for a lot.

As nice as Castleberry Hills is, while being better than many Miami and Ft Lauderdale areas, it could still use a boost in activities, especially during winter week nights. A place where people can live, dine, party, and shop?

Most people visiting the place don't live there, or near there. I went there months ago, and there were plenty of people, but it didn't feel the same.

Anyways, these are thoughts. Care to chyme in with ideas, rebuttals and suggestions as to why they went wrong in Riverfront.

And Wild, thanks for clearing up the difference. I never knew where IMAX was located was called Himmershee Village. I thought it was part of the Las Olas area.
Ok I think that Fort Lauderdale should take a more compressive approach. here is what I would do:

Build up Flagler Village (where the Fort Lauderdale City hall is) into what your talking about, mix lower, upper and high income living. They have SOME what of a art gallery area over there. Build that up and promote your local artist, make it like the design district in miami. While it will not be on that level it could be a smaller one for sure.

Next, victoria park can be your residential home area with middle and upper income, they already have a nice park in there. They need to build out that park along victoria road or whatever it is called with something where the youths can play. Next collee hammock, middle and upper end apartments (Not everyone wants to own or is meant to own). Same goes for the south side of downtown where the court house is. More apartments (affordable) and condos. They have a nice park that isn't that used (right next to the publix) because of a lack of density as you pointed out. THey are going to be building a new court house I think (not sure where) so they could tear the old one down and build more affordable living quarters.

They also need to do the same for tarpin river (I think that is what the area is called). This is the area just west of the publix downtown just next to the train tracks. Mix that with warehouses and cool condos/apartments (like the meat packing district back home).

Now, on to the main event. I think downtown needs a super target, why is there none?! That will anchor the place and you can build shops (not tourist traps) that locals living down there can use. Even though that downtown area doesnt have a ton of condos remember people from Sailboat bend, Tarpin River, River Side, Rio Vista, Victoria Park, Flagler village and even from Wilton Manors all walk, bike and drive over to chill down there on the regular. So they can get the foot traffic in. You know how annoying it is to have to drive ALL the way to US1 & Oakland when ever we need to hit a target. So yeah, a big box store downtown, then maybe get some local businesses in there, clothing shops/boutiques maybe a electronic store would be cool etc. Or they could do like you said, bottom level could be shops, top level apartments/condos? But build tons and tons of them? I would say build them from the river front all the way down to the imax area. You still have some buildings who are empty or open lots. Fill that up with mixed use like you said but we need a shopping district. Maybe they could model it like lincoln road a bit but again with the living component. Also where the Museum is on Las Olas i think thats the only business there, everything else is empty. Maybe remodel that big building into living quarters (condos/apartments). Also downtown needs a REAL park, not open space with grass. Where can the kids go play really? Its ridiculous! Down here we have two options, the park in victoria park which depending on where you live in the downtown area can be a bit far, and then the one near Publix but then you have tons of bums down there (thats another thing they need to do something about).

I just hope they figure something out soon. But the guy I know who works with the city of Fort Lauderdale told me the people in charge are about as clueless as a sack of rocks. I have given up on Fort Lauderdale, but who knows, maybe something great will happen that will shock me (I doubt it).

Quote:
Originally Posted by compelled to reply View Post
thank you sir

Old 01-31-2010, 09:54 AM

3,910 posts, read 9,469,718 times
Quote:
I live downtown man. That place looks like a DUMP. Do not confuse the river front with himmershee village. One is that big two story complex where the theater is, and there is probably over 50% of the shops are now EMPTY. Then there is himmershee village which is where the imax is on. I have walked around there at night and I assure you that place looks nothing like it used to and many of the bars dont have many patrons. Now compare that with Say lincoln road where that place stays packed and they don't have a 50% vacancy rate. But again I think we may have gotten confused as far as what area is called what because there is no doubt/question that the river front is in a BAD situation. The owners went into bankruptcy and the place went up for auction, if thats not bad I dont know what is.

Wildstyle-

I am talking about the Riverfront at Las Olas entertainment complex. Not Himmershee or any other areas around it. Because once you walk a block outside of Riverfront to the west or north, it is the ghetto. I agree there. But the actual Riverfront complex and the area along Las Olas Blvd to the east is pretty upscale. I have heard that many businesses have moved out of there recently due to the commercial real-estate bust. But you can still go there on Friday and Saturday nights and the bars are pretty crowded with people. You may be right that it isn't what it was 5 years ago. That could be partially attributed to the Hard Rock opening many new nightclubs and bars the past 2 years.

If the place got sold recently, I'm not sure that makes much of a difference. The same bars are still gonna be there. It wouldn't make any sense to kick out the current tenants or to bulldoze the place down. Its still an entertainment hot spot. And even if they are operating at a loss, so is everywhere else in America. Nobody is going to do well in this business climate. They will have to wait until the economy bounces back at some point.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area