U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area
 [Register]
Fort Lauderdale area Broward County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2011, 07:10 PM

7 posts, read 12,497 times

Advertisements

Considering a move to the Broward/ Mia area. Moving from a Midwest small town. I'm a single 25yrold guy, have been offered a job making around 90k a year. I make around 65k here, but am concerned about the cost of living and I know nobody here. Any thoughts appreciated.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2011, 07:13 PM

3,911 posts, read 8,924,179 times
going2miami-

With 90K per year, you'll do just fine here. There is no state income tax in FL. The cost of living will be higher, but your higher salary will outweigh the rise in cost of living. Also, since you're a 25 year old single guy, the girls here are hotter than anywhere else in the U.S. You may have a slight learning curve coming from the midwest since the girls here are also tougher to deal with than midwest girls. But for 90K, I'd rent for 1 year a nice beach condo on Fort Lauderdale beach, or live in Las Olas. After 1 year, if things are going well with your job and you like the area, then buy a house or condo.

Old 02-22-2011, 08:26 PM

3,043 posts, read 7,341,691 times
I agree completely with Nolefan's advice. You'll love it.

Old 02-22-2011, 08:31 PM

264 posts, read 728,801 times
i was born in the midwest, a country kid at heart. you might like it you might not. it really depends, the best bet is to visit first, there are some decent price vacation rentals and hotels in the area, id recommend visiting first and stay for at least a week or so to see how you like it

Old 02-23-2011, 07:36 AM

1,322 posts, read 4,040,613 times
certainly worth a try at your age dude. what business are you in?

Old 02-23-2011, 12:56 PM

2,965 posts, read 12,896,953 times
Considering your age, job offer, - why not come here for a while? What do you have to lose? It will give you valuable experience both professionally and life in general. Nothing wrong with growing up in a small town, so why not spread your wings a bit and see what life is like somewhere else? You're not making a lifetime commitment. So after a couple of years you can move back to your hometown or elsewhere.

Old 02-23-2011, 07:46 PM

1,452 posts, read 3,040,215 times
Ummmm...let me think about that for a second...yes, absolutely.

Old 02-23-2011, 10:07 PM

328 posts, read 1,336,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by going2miami View Post
Considering a move to the Broward/ Mia area. Moving from a Midwest small town. I'm a single 25yrold guy, have been offered a job making around 90k a year. I make around 65k here, but am concerned about the cost of living and I know nobody here. Any thoughts appreciated.
As a former resident of the Midwest (lived in IL, MI, and KS before) and someone looking to leave South Florida, I want to give you some advice.

Yes, you can absolutely make it down here on that.

I always like to say "Living in South Florida is different then Vacationing in South Florida." You may see the 80 degree temperatures in February and think it's great, but realize that the summers are extremely unbearable (hot and very, very humid). Because we have such great winter weather, the roads are absolutely clogged with tourists and snowbirds during the winter months. Doing errands on the weekend is painful because of this - driving to my local Target takes double the amount of time that it does in the summer due to the influx of tourists and snowbirds that aren't really sure where they are going (plus the sheer volume of extra vehicles on the road).

Coming from a small Midwestern town, you might be in for a bit of a culture shock. You will hear a lot of other languages spoken (Mostly spanish, but some haitian), see a lot more diversity here (lots of ethnic diversity) and the culture as a whole is different. It's much more common to see someone driving a BMW or Mercedes then in the Midwest since it is much more image driven here.

The comforting thing is that there are lots of people that are transplants here.

While South Florida is a great match for some people, I miss the hospitality, "realness", and the young professionals that I came to know living in the Chicagoland area and eager to return there.

Good Luck!

Old 02-23-2011, 11:27 PM

142 posts, read 338,550 times
Yes, and as fast as you can, nothing to lose!

Old 02-24-2011, 06:13 AM

24 posts, read 84,888 times
Long term you are more likely to regret not taking the chance. What's the worst that can happen? If you don't fit in, you can makes plans to go back home. Treat it as an adventure.

Nothing ventured, nothing gained! Besides, at your age, you should follow the career opportunities and 90k at your age is a nice offer. Imagine where you could be in another 10 years? Go for it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area