U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area
 [Register]
Fort Lauderdale area Broward County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2011, 05:00 PM

351 posts, read 1,016,028 times

Advertisements

I have a friend who lives in a high rise tower in the Galt Mile area, and have noticed this area is becoming increasingly younger and more professional. My friend is in your demographic and has noticed younger people moving in, and the City of Fort Lauderdale is apparently interested in redeveloping the northern area of town. Yes, there is still a good amount of older folks in her building, but it's changing rapidly. Her building, Galt Tower, is renovating and putting in impact windows right now.

It's a great area because it is between downtown and Lauderdale By the Sea, there's shopping right by (Winn Dixie, CVS), the beaches are more private than the area around Sunrise, and from what my friend has said, condo prices are fairly reasonable as these buildings are older. I am not a real estate agent but I think that because these buildings were older, the condos there were probably not "flipped" as much as the newer buildings so it seems they would have been insulated from the investor foreclosures and may be more financially sound - of course, financial situation of the Assoc. is an important thing to check out for any potential condo purchase.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2011, 06:53 PM

423 posts, read 1,504,012 times
Galt Ocean Mile is my favorite area of the beach to live in fort lauderdale. Tons of walkable stuff, very close to the beach, place, down town Las Olas area. Most of buildings are older but well maintained... The best on the blocks is of course La hermitage (or the new one Le Ambiance).... If you go a little south Palms is awesome... however all 3 are on the high end of the prices! Good Luck in your search.

Old 05-10-2011, 06:17 PM

8 posts, read 10,819 times
Default Where to rent

Quote:
Originally Posted by CityGurl101 View Post
I'm a single woman in my early 40's, no children, registered nurse, looking for a place to live in South Florida. Most of my extended family is in Broward County, Fort Lauderdale so I don't want to be far from them. I initially was considering a single home/townhouse near the beaches but realized it might still be a lonely place. Now I am starting to look in condo apartment buildings either along the intercoastal to view the boats or ocean view. My limit is $280,000 with low HOA fees. I'm thinking maybe along Pompano Beaches or Lauderdale-by-the-Sea would be a good place for me. I was told between Atlantic Blvd and E Commercial Blvd is a very good social area. I also heard that some condos have events for singles. I need a good place to meet eligible professionals. Any suggestions on areas and specific condos?
yOU CAN BUY A ONE BEDROOM IN THE WATERGARDEN FOR THAT PRICE AND ITS RIGHT NEAR LAS OLAS, IS A YOUNG AREA AND OVERLOOKS THE NEW RIVER NEAR SHOPS ETC. pOMPANO HAS OLD RUNDOWN BUILDINGS, IS NOT AT ALL SAFE IN MANY PARTS AND LAUDERDALE BY THE SEA HAS VERY FEW CONDOS UNLES YOU WANT TO SPEN600.000 AND BE ON THE BEACH. ITS EXTREMELY TOURISTIC, ESP IN WINTER. aLSO THE GALT OCEAN MILE HAS TONS OF BUILDINGS THAT AREAT LEAST 40 YRS OLD AND YOU WILL GET ASSESSED IN THE FUTURE. THE GALT OCEAN IS A MUCH,MUCH OLDER CROWN-THINK60 AND 70 AND 8 0JUST BE VERY WARY OF THE REALTORS YOU PICK AS THEY DO NOT TELL U EVERYTHING U WILL NEED TO KNOW

Old 05-10-2011, 06:19 PM

Default It is not percent gay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonyftlaud View Post
Stay away from the greater FtLaud area as it is 80% gay.
Look in Lauderdale by the sea and Deerfield beach. Both very active younger comunities on the beach and intracoastal.
hELLO- IVE BEEN HERE FOR 10 YEARS AND FT LAUD IS NOT, I REPEAT NOT 80 PERCENT GAY. YOURE THINKING OF WILTON MANORS. FT LAUD HAS A VERY DIVERSE, POPULATION. GO TO YOLO RESTAURANT OR BIG CITY ON LAS OLAS AND YOU WILL SEE WHAT I MEAN

Old 05-10-2011, 06:23 PM

Default Conods on the new river

Quote:
Originally Posted by trails View Post
this is an interesting thread....

Nolefan34 you mentioned lauderdale by the sea and fort lauderdale beach. I am a single male late 30's, and if needed i could live right on the beach. Are there specific streets in either of these areas to recommend? When you mention ft lauderdale beach, would it be better to be north or south of e las olas blvd. The main thing i am looking for is a social and walkable area at the beach. Being able to walk to a grocery or gym would be a plus.

Having spent a great extended stay this winter in san diego i am wondering if ft lauderdale will be a good fit (regarding singles). I don't mind the heat, i actually thrive in it. I also love humidity - really! I am planning on coming to a conference in mid june and might stay if i like it month to month.
all the condos located right behind las olas on the new river are brand new, luxury bldgs w all bells and whistles plus right near restaurants. If you go too far east on las olas ie right near drwabridge, the condos are really old and there are few shops and restos. As for condos on ft laud beach near las olas and right on beach youre looking at 600.000 and up for a 2 bdrm as you go further north on beach past sunise and between oakland there are nice ones but expensive too. Do not go past oakland on the beach-old old buildings

Old 05-12-2011, 10:09 PM

27 posts, read 27,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trails View Post
This is an interesting thread....

Nolefan34 you mentioned Lauderdale by the Sea and Fort Lauderdale Beach. I am a single male late 30's, and if needed I could live right on the beach. Are there specific streets in either of these areas to recommend? When you mention Ft Lauderdale Beach, would it be better to be North or South of E Las Olas Blvd. The main thing I am looking for is a social and walkable area at the beach. Being able to walk to a grocery or gym would be a plus.

Having spent a great extended stay this winter in San Diego I am wondering if Ft Lauderdale will be a good fit (regarding singles). I don't mind the heat, I actually thrive in it. I also love humidity - really! I am planning on coming to a conference in mid June and might stay if I like it month to month.

There is a building just south of las olas and A1A, I think its called 1 las olas, good security, walk to the beach and you can walk to the zoo fitness center, which has a gym on the roof top. Swimming hall of fame is right there. You can take A1A up to 17th street and there is a Publix there. There is also quite a few building just north of A1A too!

Now there is also New River Landing downtown, and Las Olas River House and a whole slew of condos on the north side of the river too! It really depends what you want. You really need a good realtor that knows the area. I'm on Las Olas personally and a few streets down there is a really "in-tune" real estate office that found my apartment, let me know if you want his cell phone number.

Old 05-16-2011, 12:53 PM

351 posts, read 1,016,028 times
WaterGarden and RiverHouse is a great location and newer buildings. It really depends on whether the OP wants beachfront, or a Las Olas/New River location. The beachfront newer condos south of Oakland along AIA are quite pricey from what friends have told me, it may be harder to find something in the $280,000 range there.

Old 05-16-2011, 04:35 PM

9 posts, read 10,739 times
Default young looking 50- looking for a second place

married with teens, I would probably use place more than my husband, beginning to hate NY, but my husband cannot move because of business, so I would want a place in an active area, near the beach, not full of elderly people, and plenty of things to do, restaurants, shopping, nightlife, fairly upscale - any thoughts, I am not sure if I would buy but want to come down hopefully every month.

Any suggestions? I lived in Miami for 10 years. 20 years ago and while I like it, don't want to live there, and don't want to live too close to my parents who are in Sarasota. email: kaaala@aol.com

Old 05-18-2011, 08:34 AM

1 posts, read 1,839 times
Default In the same Boat!

Im in the same boat so any ideas would be great - Im single - no kids - 44yr old female looking for a place to rent where I can be close to water and also be able to walk to shops/restaurants and good area for a single girl to meet other single professionals....
Any good suggestions on where I should look in Ft Lauderdale area?? Thanks!

Old 05-19-2011, 07:37 AM

423 posts, read 1,504,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzkouz View Post
Im in the same boat so any ideas would be great - Im single - no kids - 44yr old female looking for a place to rent where I can be close to water and also be able to walk to shops/restaurants and good area for a single girl to meet other single professionals....
Any good suggestions on where I should look in Ft Lauderdale area?? Thanks!
Downtown Fort Lauderdale (Las Olas area) or the Fort Lauderdale beach are your best bets.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or