Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area
 [Register]
Fort Lauderdale area Broward County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2011, 06:21 AM

20 posts, read 45,624 times

Advertisements

We are considering a move to South FL because of a job. My husband will be working in Davie at one of the univerisities. We plan to rent for the first year or two, to make sure we find the right fit for our family. We have a 6 year old son and 8 year old daughter. We have been told to look in Weston, Plantation, and Davie. From my research into rentals I am finding that Weston is more family friendly, but you get less home for your money. Plantation has some nice homes, but the ones on the rental market seem older, and I haven't found much in Davie. We also have a golden retriever, so the house has to be pet friendly. We are considering Unviersity School, so schools won't be an issue. We are not looking to move until the beginning of July, so I have a little time. Does anyone have a suggestion on the best website to look at homes? We currently live out of Florida, and won't be back until the beginning of June. Thank you for any assistance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2011, 10:38 AM

3,910 posts, read 9,466,972 times
Schools aside, Plantation is a great area. I would highly recommend it. A short commute right up the street from Davie. Tons of shopping and restaurants in the area. You are also right off of 595 and the Turnpike. So its easy to hop on and travel to Fort Lauderdale, Miami, or out of town. Just make sure you avoid the extreme eastern portion of Plantation east of Florida's Turnpike. The neighborhood starts declining once you go too far east. Most of the areas west of Florida's Turnpike are very nice with a few exceptions.

Old 05-07-2011, 05:44 PM

42 posts, read 119,646 times
I would take a look at Parkland if you have kids

Old 05-08-2011, 06:25 AM

3,910 posts, read 9,466,972 times
Parkland is a far commute from Davie. It would be unnecessary to live that far away and deal with a 30 minute commute not to mention gas and mileage. Parkland is about 20 miles away. Why not just stick with Davie, Plantation, Sunrise, Weston, Cooper City, Pembroke Pines, and Southwest Ranches? Those are all nice areas that are closer than Parkland.

Old 05-08-2011, 08:47 AM

11,642 posts, read 23,897,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackienewjersey View Post
I would take a look at Parkland if you have kids
Parkland is lovely but did you even read the OP's post?

What would be the point of Parkland over Davie or Plantation for someone who wants to be close to Davie and will have children attending private school in Davie? Parkland is far from Davie and its main advantage over Davie/Plantation is good schools.

Old 05-17-2011, 07:15 AM

Thank you for all of your advice. Over the past week we have had a change of heart, and finances, and decided the kids will be going to public school, at least until middle school. I have one that is starting 1st grade, and the other starting 3rd. We are going to rent for the first few years, to make sure that we are in the right spot. Our rental range is around $2500. In Weston, the houses seem very small for what you are paying. I even went up to $3000, but houses coming up were around 1800 - 2200 sq feet. I am looking for over 2500 sq feet, we dont want to have to get a storage unit. As I previously posted, my husband will be teaching out at one of the Universities in Davie, FL. We have started to look into Boca Raton. Now that we are considering public schools, does anyone have any thoughts or suggestions? It looks like we are too late to get the kids into one of the charter schools. I also looked at Wellington, FL, but 40 miles seems a little far from work for my husband, with all the traffic. I appreciate any advice!!

Old 05-17-2011, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talia71 View Post
Thank you for all of your advice. Over the past week we have had a change of heart, and finances, and decided the kids will be going to public school, at least until middle school. I have one that is starting 1st grade, and the other starting 3rd. We are going to rent for the first few years, to make sure that we are in the right spot. Our rental range is around $2500. In Weston, the houses seem very small for what you are paying. I even went up to $3000, but houses coming up were around 1800 - 2200 sq feet. I am looking for over 2500 sq feet, we dont want to have to get a storage unit. As I previously posted, my husband will be teaching out at one of the Universities in Davie, FL. We have started to look into Boca Raton. Now that we are considering public schools, does anyone have any thoughts or suggestions? It looks like we are too late to get the kids into one of the charter schools. I also looked at Wellington, FL, but 40 miles seems a little far from work for my husband, with all the traffic. I appreciate any advice!!
If I were going to use the public school system in Broward County I would move to Weston or Parkland and nowhere else.

Old 05-17-2011, 01:05 PM

389 posts, read 1,083,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Talia71 View Post
Boca is pretty far from Davie.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Momma_bear View Post
If I were going to use the public school system in Broward County I would move to Weston or Parkland and nowhere else.
Or West Pembroke Pines.

Old 05-17-2011, 01:13 PM

I have not looked at Parkland, but will. I heard about the chinese drywall, and it kind of scared me a bit. I have also been considering Boca Raton. i used mapquest for a few houses, and Boca is about 30 minutes from Nova, which is where he is teaching. It is so difficult not knowing the schools and area.

Old 05-17-2011, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimboUSMC17 View Post
Or West Pembroke Pines.
Nope
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area