U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area
 [Register]
Fort Lauderdale area Broward County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2011, 05:56 AM

70 posts, read 273,687 times

Advertisements

The people who are recommending Las Olas area to live couldn't get you any farther away from work. You would have to drive the distance from the complete East end of Broward to the Western end of the county. If thats what you want to do ok but thats not what I would want.
There are so many places to choose a lot closer to work. Plantation is very nice to live. Go to Las Olas in the evening when to want to go out. I would not want that drive first thing in the morning and then schlep accross 595 in the late afternoon.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2011, 01:37 PM

26 posts, read 55,034 times
Weston is pretty far out from most of the traditional nightlife... and a lot closer to the Everglades. If you want to be close to Weston but also close to downtown I'd recommend somewhere in the middle like Davie--about 15 minutes from Weston and downtown ($20 cab ride from downtown to Davie, important to know after a night out). It doesn't have nightlife in the area BUT you're closer and if you need anything like malls, grocery stores, specialty shops, etc., there's a lot in the end of Davie (closer to 595) since its a college area. Just hop on 595 and go east or west depending on what you need!

Old 04-02-2011, 05:45 PM

3,913 posts, read 8,383,163 times
Plantation and Davie are your best options. You cannot afford Las Olas. And Weston would be social suicide since you're light years away from nightlife. Plantation and Davie are a happy medium. Affordable rentals in the area. The cab rides are a bit more than $20 as I recall. Maybe more like $30 each direction. That can get pricey and discourage one from going out. But if you get a group of friends, its not bad.

Old 04-13-2011, 10:00 PM

1 posts, read 1,813 times
Default hello....

hello i'm moving to fort lauderdale in the next month,i'm female and Mid-20s too, so if you know about a good place tell me because i was thinking in port royale too.

thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by KC818 View Post
Nolefan, I'm a female, but I think your advice still stands, right?

Thank you both for weighing in. I know nothing about the area, so do you have an advice about apartment complexes in Las Olas, Davie or Plantation? So many have awful reviews it's hard to determine which are actually good and which aren't. Are there certain areas in each neighborhood/city I should focus on - like stay away from the section between this and that, etc? How long would a commute from Las Olas to Weston take traveling around normal rush hour times?

Also, in NYC is a very normal thing to find a roommate on Craigslist. Is this something people do down there? I looked around a bit and looked like there were a few postings.

Thank you!

Old 04-14-2011, 05:48 PM

23 posts, read 74,513 times
Default Some suggestions from a 22 year old female living in the area

Hey,
I think Los Olas would be great but it is kind of a long drive to Weston (around 30 minutes)...I would suggest living in Weston, Plantation, Pembroke Pines or Sunrise. They all have movie theaters, malls, bars, restaurants etc.... If you want a fun night out just drive to Los Olas but it would be really expensive and a hassle to live on Los Olas and have to drive to Weston every day to work. I live in Plantation and go to church in Weston so I know the area pretty well.

Old 04-17-2011, 02:47 PM

3,913 posts, read 8,383,163 times
Plantation and Davie are the 2 most centrally located suburbs and have large populations of young professionals. I'd say stick with those areas. Weston is beautiful and close to your work, but not as many young professionals out that way. You might feel isolated living out there.

Old 06-02-2011, 09:32 PM

3 posts, read 13,676 times
Hi Everyone! Thank you so much for your responses. Things have changed since my initial post, including work location and dollar amount I'm willing to spend (I'd go a couple hundred above 1K for a great place). Of course, money goes much further with a roommate, so I'd prefer to find one. In NYC everyone uses craigslist, but judging from the postings (or lack of) people don't do use it much in Fort Lauderdale. Does anyone know of people who have found roommates using something like craiglist (roommates.com, etc)? If so, what?

In terms of travelling to Weston for work every day, that is no longer the case. I will now be working from home (or a coffee shop) a lot of the time, so it would be great to be as close to the beach as possible. If there are other great areas near the beach and still close to shopping/restaurants other than Las Olas, what do you recommend?

Again, any apartment or condo (with rentals available) recommends much appreciated. AND if you happen to be mid-20s to early-30s and looking for a roommate around October, send me a message!

Everyone has been a huge help so far. Thanks again!

Old 06-03-2011, 01:30 PM

15 posts, read 45,639 times
I too am moving down to Fort Lauderdale for a teaching position and am 29 years old. I am from the Philadelphia area. It's too bad you are moving in October, because I am coming down on August 1st and would consider a room mate situation if it were earlier.

Good luck! Contact me through here and we can hang out sometime since we will both be new!

Old 04-04-2014, 08:08 PM

1 posts, read 1,004 times
Smile Teacher recommendations

Hi There!

Looking to move to FL this summer. I am a teacher in NJ, how did you find a position before moving?? Any recommendations??

Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guitarchris08 View Post
I too am moving down to Fort Lauderdale for a teaching position and am 29 years old. I am from the Philadelphia area. It's too bad you are moving in October, because I am coming down on August 1st and would consider a room mate situation if it were earlier.

Good luck! Contact me through here and we can hang out sometime since we will both be new!

Old 04-05-2014, 08:07 AM

555 posts, read 591,893 times
To the OP regarding Craigslist - Be very careful using Craigslist in south Florida. It seems there's something in the paper every day about criminals using Craigslist to lure people places and rob them. I'm can't speak to the roommate section, but I would be careful and only meet in a public place during the daytime. Best of luck to you!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area