U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area
 [Register]
Fort Lauderdale area Broward County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2011, 09:16 PM

3 posts, read 13,678 times

Advertisements

I may be moving from NYC (originally from the MS Gulf Coast) to the Ft. Lauderdale area. I'm a single, mid-20s female. I will be working at an office in Weston. I am hoping you have some recommendations for neighborhood or even apartment complexes that are good for young professionals. In terms of neighborhood, I'm not looking to go to clubs all the time, but I would like to be in an area near restaurants, bars and other entertainment options (movie theaters, etc)...just a safe area with some activity. In terms of apartment, I'm looking to spend around $1,000 and want a washer/dryer in my unit, a pool, and a fitness room. After hauling my laundry down the street in NYC the washer/dryer is must!

Looking forward to any advice! Thanks!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2011, 11:24 AM

8 posts, read 78,410 times
You'll quickly find the Las Olas area of Fort Lauderdale is the home of a lot of nightlife in the area. I'm in my 20s and when I lived there I had a boss that lived in that area and it was a nice place to be.

If you're really not concerned about nightlife and want a nice suburban area, Coral Springs and Parkland might work but it may be too quiet for your liking. Of course, Weston is also sort of in that category as well. Just a matter of your personal preferences really. Sounds like you can afford enough to where you can pick and choose and be comfortable regardless.

Old 03-12-2011, 03:49 PM

3,913 posts, read 8,383,964 times
Las Olas is the best place for you, but is also expensive. Lots of entertainment, women, nightlife, and restaurants walking distance there. A more affordable area is Plantation or Davie. Lots of apartment communities there. More laid back than Las Olas or the beach. But good areas. I wouldn't recommend Weston. It is too far away from nightlife and too quiet for a single guy in his 20's.

Old 03-12-2011, 07:00 PM

3 posts, read 13,678 times
Nolefan, I'm a female, but I think your advice still stands, right?

Thank you both for weighing in. I know nothing about the area, so do you have an advice about apartment complexes in Las Olas, Davie or Plantation? So many have awful reviews it's hard to determine which are actually good and which aren't. Are there certain areas in each neighborhood/city I should focus on - like stay away from the section between this and that, etc? How long would a commute from Las Olas to Weston take traveling around normal rush hour times?

Also, in NYC is a very normal thing to find a roommate on Craigslist. Is this something people do down there? I looked around a bit and looked like there were a few postings.

Thank you!

Old 03-12-2011, 09:27 PM

19 posts, read 66,624 times
You'll find that you'll get more space for the money the further away you go from downtown Ft Lauderdale. Within walking distance of Las Olas (main strip downtown Ft Laud), you'll likely rent from a condo high-rise in downtown or house/homes in nearby neighborhoods. I have a friend who rented at the Symphony (it's a condo bldg, but you often find condo owners renting them out on craigslist) paying over 2k/mo for 2bdrm - she had a roommate. Great view, valet parking, hotel like amenities.

Heading west to Davie/Plantation, you will find apt complex renting between 700 - 900 for 1bdrm - more for your money. Keep in mind that even though Davie/Plantation doesn't look far from downtown Ft Laud on a map, it typically takes 30min when you factor in traffic & parking. It's esp cumbersome when you have to impromptu get togethers, and of course your trek back home afterwards. BTW, as you move further west, you will find more chain restaurants vs. the one-off/mom&pop's/hole in the wall for food on the East.

You can look at Rio Vista, Victoria Park, Coral Ridge neighborhoods - older, smaller homes, but relatively quiet neighborhoods for running/jogging/etc and less than 5 min drive from Las Olas. G'luck with your search.

Old 03-14-2011, 07:18 PM

KC818-

I apologize. Its hard to tell on here sometimes lol. Yes, my advice still applies to both guys and girls. Las Olas is good for young singles. Except on $1000 budget, you won't be able to afford it. Look in Plantation and Davie. Also, there is an apartment complex called Port Royale in Fort Lauderdale about 15 minutes north of Las Olas that is $1000/mo. and is mostly young people in their 20's. It is a different section of Fort Lauderdale, but is still close to the water.

Lithium is correct that the further away from Fort Lauderdale you go, the larger and cheaper the apartments are. Except I wouldn't recommend going too far away because then you'll feel isolated. The outer suburbs are geared more towards families and retirees. The Eastern parts of Broward County and Plantation and Davie are geared more towards a younger crowd. You'll find more people your age and more entertainment in the eastern parts of the county.

Old 03-16-2011, 09:36 PM

4 posts, read 18,470 times
I am very seriously considering moving into port Royale.
But I'm very freaked out by the insanely harsh reviews on apartments ratings.com

Can someone help me out?

Last edited by AdamSlack; 03-16-2011 at 09:46 PM.. Reason: Mistake

Old 03-19-2011, 08:05 AM

19 posts, read 66,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamSlack View Post
I am very seriously considering moving into port Royale.
But I'm very freaked out by the insanely harsh reviews on apartments ratings.com

Can someone help me out?
Port Royale in Pompano (off US-1), correct? I had a couple of co-worker who rented there and they were OK with it. I really hadn't heard complaints directly, though not sure if or why they would complaint to co-workers about their apt. From what I understand, its an older complex, so you won't get modern look and feel. People are paying for location. In rentals, you have different people cycling through rental communities every 6 to 12 months, and you'll get different folks voicing different opinions and concerns. No different than the typical restaurant review.

There is a newer complex across the from Port Royale called Residences at Bayview. It was built in 2003, electronic proximity bldg and garage entry, impact windows, pool and jacuzzi, small fitness room, etc. Nice place, but IIRC, they start at 1300/mo for 1bdrm/~700sq ft. It's expensive, but at that price, you are pretty much guaranteed most people in that complex are working professionals considering the rent/cost. That was a few years back,..I don't know how much things have changed since. Look around...

Old 03-21-2011, 10:12 AM

I have a friend who lives in Port Royale and it is a decent place to live. The units are very small and noisy. There are lots of dogs barking. Other than that, its a good place for someone in their 20's to live. Its in a good location, close to shopping, not far from the beach. Rents are affordable for the area.

Old 03-31-2011, 09:33 PM

1 posts, read 5,724 times
Hi there! This is my first time on here, so I hope I'm doing it right I just had to comment because I am also a single female in my mid to late 20s and I used to live a couple blocks back from Las Olas in an apartment complex called Pinecrest in Victoria Park -this is one of my favorite areas of east fort lauderdale. Even though it was small and an older complex it was updated and the location could not be beat! I had a roommate and we paid about $1,500 or so together. I found that there were a mix of affordable condos/townhomes with large not-so-affordable homes, but it made for a really nice neighborhood.

I currently live in Plantation and would agree with Nolefan34 that I wouldn't go further west than that. I like Plantation - you can still find a young crowd and you are not too far from downtown. There is a new apartment complex called midtown 24 that is quite nice and has shops around the area in walking distance. I'm actually looking to move and that is my first choice right now!

I hope this helps a little! Oh and I'm a Nole fan too!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area