Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area
 [Register]
Fort Lauderdale area Broward County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-16-2011, 08:43 PM

30 posts, read 58,568 times

Advertisements

Ok, so I think I have spent every waking moment on my laptop the last 2 months doing serious research on where to move this summer. But I think it is just getting me more confused...there are so many"if you stay West of this Rd but North of this area, that is good, etc.

My story: I lived in Miami (Homestead) for 3 years. Didn't mind it, schools were horrible so I won't go back there simply because of that factor. I moved back to Virginia with my 4 and 7 year old and I can't take one more winter or the cost of living. I want to buy a home and the only way that will happen is if I move back to Florida. I was originally considering St John's county south of Jacksonville because of the good schools but I feel more familiar with South Florida, plus we are a Bi racial family, spent a lot of time in Jamaica, like cultural diversity, and St. Johns county is seriously lacking in diversity. It's still on the list (I will be in FL in a few weeks to check out some areas) but I was thinking maybe Broward would fit the bill being a bit better school wise vs Miami Dade.

My biggest challenge is finding a school that has a good support program for a child with sensory issues. He has an IEP and I have read about the McKay scholarship and I have been looking into private schools, but then again I also have a 4 year old that does not have an IEP and would hate for them to go to different schools.

While looking at housing listings it is just so misleading. I saw one very nice newer townhouse in Lauderhill near Plantation Hospital, but then when I read some info on here it says good areas are West of Turnpike and North of Oak something or other.

Any guidance would be appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2011, 10:45 AM

3,910 posts, read 9,471,842 times
rastagal77-

It is very confusing. It would be too complicated to go into detail and pick out the good vs. bad areas of each suburb. That would be like solving the human genome. Like you said, you can be on one side of the street and the neighborhood turns good. On the other side, the area is to be avoided.

Overall, I would not recommend Lauderhill to anyone. Although I am a white guy, so maybe I'm a bit biased. Lauderhill, Lauderdale Lakes, and North Lauderdale tend to be 100% black. There are some nice parts, but I would not fit in there. A lot of crime generates from those areas so the nice neighborhoods are few and far between.

Old 03-17-2011, 11:10 AM

30 posts, read 58,568 times
Thanks Nolefan34. I am also white, kids are bi racial, and while living in an ethnically diverse area is fine with me I would rather it be an area where it is not 90% of one particular race and 10% "other"...something more EQUALLY diverse would be ideal. I was finding this problem in St Johns county while researching the schools...89% white and 11% "other". So no matter what the race, I prefer an area that has all different cultures. I find people that live in diverse areas to be more open minded and non racist (is that a word?) lol.

I am a very hippie-ish, peace and one love type of person, so finding somewhere that fits my life in that aspect is important.

Old 03-17-2011, 01:22 PM

205 posts, read 481,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nolefan34 View Post
rastagal77-

It is very confusing. It would be too complicated to go into detail and pick out the good vs. bad areas of each suburb. That would be like solving the human genome. Like you said, you can be on one side of the street and the neighborhood turns good. On the other side, the area is to be avoided.

Overall, I would not recommend Lauderhill to anyone. Although I am a white guy, so maybe I'm a bit biased. Lauderhill, Lauderdale Lakes, and North Lauderdale tend to be 100% black. There are some nice parts, but I would not fit in there. A lot of crime generates from those areas so the nice neighborhoods are few and far between.
I agree I would not recommend those areas, its ghetto! theres a neighborhood in Fort lauderdale that kind of borders Lauderahill called Riverland.
There are plenty of other areas you could go to that are nice and diverse.
I would look into Coral Springs
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area