U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area
 [Register]
Fort Lauderdale area Broward County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-18-2011, 04:21 PM

152 posts, read 210,690 times

Advertisements

The thought of selling my place in NJ and rushing through the process of buying something in Broward gives me agita. I worry about making the wrong decision because I need to get a place to live "right away". I've been browsing the "room for rent" ads on CL and thought this might be a way to have a place immediately without all the paperwork, responsibilities and permanence of buying a new condo as soon as I move. Some places look very nice and there's a wide choice of neighborhoods. I'm a mature, professional, open minded male and I can immagine some of the pitfalls in sharing a place with a stranger. Does anyone have any experiences to share?...negative or positive.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2011, 12:48 PM

1,369 posts, read 1,979,772 times
I'm in Naples and also looking at Ft. Lauderdale and Broward, and also looking at the room for rent ads on CL. When I see ads for a room for $225, I have to wonder if that's per month or per week. You can't tell on CL, they post deceptive ads all the time, and I have to wonder why they pull such tricks when in the end they are not going to rent to someone who can only afford the $225 a month, and could never afford $225 a week.

I guess they just want to get you to look at the ad, but as soon as you find out they were lying why would you rent from them?

I saw one tiny studio apartment listed at $240, which turned out to be per week! WOW!

I can't imagine what they are thinking.... And then there are the guys who want a female roomate/bedmate... ugh!

Old 03-20-2011, 12:57 PM

I know what you mean about weeding out the sketchy ads, but a lot of them are legitimately looking to rent by the week to travelers. I'm looking in the $600-$800 per month range. I figure a nicer place will probably be owned by a more responsible person and it will still be a fraction of my current mortgage. Might be a way to start making new friends in the area too.

Old 03-20-2011, 02:27 PM

1,369 posts, read 1,979,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RicKaysen View Post
I know what you mean about weeding out the sketchy ads, but a lot of them are legitimately looking to rent by the week to travelers.
Then why do they not SAY $225 per week? If they are marketing to travelers then why do they not address their target market in direct and honest terms instead of leaving out the term of rental altogether, when everyone else SAYS per month?

I think it's a legitimate question.

Old 03-20-2011, 02:43 PM

Couldn't tell ya....I'd just never expect anything liveable to rent for $225/month.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area