Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area
 [Register]
Fort Lauderdale area Broward County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-16-2011, 10:12 AM

22 posts, read 44,493 times

Advertisements

We are currently in Dallas and contemplating a move to the Fort Lauderdale area for my husband's job, and wanted to find the best cities/ neighborhoods for our family ( 2 kids 11 and 9 ). A couple things we need to consider would be his commute from Davie, finding a reputable USAG gymnastics training center for our 11yr old, and of course good schools. I have to say, I am a little discouraged from what I have read about the school districts in Florida; however private school could be an option also. Would you prefer Broward County or Palm Beach County? We are looking for newer communities with homes in the mid $300 - mid $400k.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2011, 12:45 PM

205 posts, read 480,856 times
Weston, Pembroke Pines, some parts of plantation are you best bet, not too far from davie, school systems are way better there. You can send you kids to public school there and not worry so much any other city you have to go magnet. Nothing east is good. If i had the choice i would choose one of those areas or cooper city.

Old 03-16-2011, 03:08 PM

Thanks StEt0417

I was also looking at Cooper City?? Any thoughts?

Old 03-16-2011, 06:30 PM

205 posts, read 480,856 times
Yes cooper city is very nice and the public schools are nice. I have a friend who lives out in Embassy lakes in cooper city and she loves the area. I dont think you could go wrong there.

Old 03-16-2011, 07:07 PM

81 posts, read 170,548 times
Weston is really nice and the commute shouldn't be too bad to Fort Lauderdale. Pembroke Pines is very nice as well and has some great charter schools that are part of the university. Check them out on greaterschools.org. But, I feel compelled to ask if you have spent time down here and are sure your family will be able to adjust? I just moved to South Florida from California for a new job and my 7 year old son tells me every single day he HATES it here. We have been here for two months and he is unable to get along with the kids at school, and socializing in general, even in sports and after school care here has been really tough for him. Just a heads up since you mentioned a 9 and 11YO.

Old 03-17-2011, 10:41 AM

3,910 posts, read 9,466,972 times
Cooper City, Pembroke Pines, Weston, Southwest Ranches, Davie, Coral Springs, and Parkland are suburbs you should check out. Those are the ones with good schools. The public schools in Cooper City and Weston in particular are exceptions to the rule and are pretty good from what I've heard.

Plantation is also nice, but the general consensus is that the schools aren't good.

Davie is centrally located right smack in the middle of Broward County. It is an easy commute from anywhere in the county.

Old 03-17-2011, 08:27 PM

423 posts, read 1,642,548 times
Davie and Plantation are more central.... But you won't go wrong with other cities that were recommended above (Pembroke Pines, Weston, Cooper City). Welcome to sunny paradise

Old 03-18-2011, 11:57 AM

Larachris...we are also originally from California. We've been in Texas 7 years now and I have to say it is such a family friendly place to live. The schools are explemary, there is a strong christian community and the people are so friendly. I would prefer to stay put, but it is looking more and more like I won't get my wish. What city did you decide to settle for?

Old 03-23-2011, 08:10 AM

Coconut Creek?? I believe we have found the best of the best in USA gymnastics training for our daughter; however, it's in Coconut Creek!! DH will be working in Davie. All of the suggestions I have gotten from this site, says, Weston, Cooper City, P.P, Plantation, Parkland....What about Coconut Creek? What would be the ideal city/ neighborhood for us if both myself and DH will have to daily go to Davie and C.C.? And do you have recommendations on elem. and middle school suggestions, public or private?

Last edited by troycrystal; 03-23-2011 at 08:21 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area