U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area
 [Register]
Fort Lauderdale area Broward County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-27-2011, 11:49 AM

21 posts, read 42,051 times

Advertisements

Can anyone personally recommend a fishing boat charter? My son is turning 15 next month as a special birthday present my husband is taking him deep sea fishing. I'm looking for a reputable company, and an all-inclusive type experience (all fishing gear, bait, etc.) We live in Weston, so could go out of Fort Lauderdale or Miami. My husband is not a fisherman, but our son loves fishing with his grandpa, but has only fished in lakes.

Thanks in advance.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2011, 12:22 PM

1,468 posts, read 4,319,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmcinfl View Post
Can anyone personally recommend a fishing boat charter? My son is turning 15 next month as a special birthday present my husband is taking him deep sea fishing. I'm looking for a reputable company, and an all-inclusive type experience (all fishing gear, bait, etc.) We live in Weston, so could go out of Fort Lauderdale or Miami. My husband is not a fisherman, but our son loves fishing with his grandpa, but has only fished in lakes.

Thanks in advance.
They are all going to be in the same ballpark as far as price. Give these guys a call. My cousin went out with them last year and loved it. They have been around for a while and you are probably not going to do better. Consider also splitting a charter and save. They often have people who are just a couple of even by themselves and want to go out.
All-Inclusive Fort Lauderdale Fishing, Ft Lauderdale Fishing Charters, Florida Offshore Fishing, Florida Sport Fishing, Florida Fishing, Deep Sea Fishing Swordfish Shark Marlin

Old 03-27-2011, 07:58 PM

48 posts, read 124,960 times
Just don't let them convince you to troll all day. The charter I went on wanted to give the birthday boy(my friend) a big catch. We didn't catch anything that day.

Old 03-27-2011, 09:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by K-oh View Post
Just don't let them convince you to troll all day. The charter I went on wanted to give the birthday boy(my friend) a big catch. We didn't catch anything that day.
Unless you bottom fish around the reefs there is no guarantee you will catch fish. Something has changed off the Florida coast in the last 50 years or so. When I was a kid my dad had the hotel/motel and we also had a 40 fishing boat we took the guests out with. Sometimes my dad would captain or we had a captain who worked for us. It was amazing, we would leave at maybe 7 am and the guests would be ready to come in by noon they were so beat catching fish.

And I mean this was like every time we went out. Now you can troll all day and get maybe a couple of kings if you are lucky. Florida fishing now is terrible. I think most of the boats now like to release the fish. I have to say when you went down to the docks in the 50's every boat would have 20 to 40 fish. Maybe that had something to do with so few fish now. The guests rarely wanted any of the fish and we made as much selling the fish as the charter. My father was funny is one way in that he never wanted to shark fish and when we brought one to the side of the boat he always cut it loose rather then get out the bang stick or rifle.

Old 03-29-2011, 06:13 PM

Thanks to both of you. Hopefully they will catch something, but if nothing else they will have some great memories.

Old 03-30-2011, 06:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmcinfl View Post
Thanks to both of you. Hopefully they will catch something, but if nothing else they will have some great memories.
You can also consider going out on one of the drift boats. That can be a lot of fun. I don't know the current prices but it is no a lot, maybe 12 to 20 dollars a person. Pretty much all inclusive other then you may have to pay for your sodas or bring you own lunch. There are people who go out every week on their favorite boats. I doesn't have to be a special occasion to go fishing.

Old 04-18-2011, 01:01 PM

They ended up going out on a drift boat, "Catch My Drift" Nobody caught anything! They had a good time though and the Captain and his crew tried really hard to make sure everyone had fun regardless of the fact that the fish weren't biting.

Old 04-20-2011, 09:39 AM

351 posts, read 1,015,683 times
I took my Dad on a charter with "Killin Time" Charters of Pompano Beach, last May. We were able to split the charter with another family so the price was reasonable. The captain and crew were helpful and we had a good time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area