U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area
 [Register]
Fort Lauderdale area Broward County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-29-2011, 12:26 AM

2 posts, read 4,717 times

Advertisements

Hello! I am a single 27 year-old female relocating from Atlanta to Ft. Lauderdale. I am looking for a one bedroom apartment in a nice, safe, family-oriented neighborhood. I am applying to several universities in the area to obtain my Doctorate. If you all could please give me advice on the best areas to live, I would appreciate it tremendously
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2011, 07:52 AM

264 posts, read 688,142 times
as of now, my plan is to move into camden las olas in the fall. they have studios for just under $1200, and it is a nice complex with all different types of people, mainly 20-something young professionals like myself. (my only negative feedback is thin walls from what i've heard, and the kitchen appliances are not modern style i.e. stainless refrigerator, electric stove, etc)

it is a large apartment complex located downtown with several amenities.

i think that is that best deal for the location, otherwise there are very nice inexpensive places west of the city in the lauderhill, plantation, and sunrise suburban areas.

Old 03-29-2011, 09:04 AM

1,322 posts, read 3,881,280 times
thin walls can be a big deal! i wouldnt move into a place knowing that the walls and or ceilings have poor sound reduction. unless you enjoy hearing your neighbors fart and poop.

Old 04-02-2011, 06:56 PM

3,912 posts, read 8,488,588 times
Every place has thin walls. There is no such thing as an apartment community or building in Fort Lauderdale that has THICK walls, unless its made out of cynderblock. Most of the newer buildings downtown have concrete exteriors, but interior walls are nothing but drywall. Rental apartment complexes, forget about it.

As far as "best areas to live"- Las Olas, particularly the luxury buildings, are the "best" places to live here. But they are also the most expensive. A single person on an average $40,000 income cannot afford a one-bedroom in a luxury condo like that. You'd have to find a roommate and live in a 2/2 to afford it or have a job that pays well above average.

The more affordable areas are Plantation, Davie, Sunrise, Pompano Beach, Lauderdale By The Seas, Hollywood, Coral Springs, Pembroke Pines, Coconut Creek, and Weston. Plantation and Davie are the best suburbs in terms of location and affordability for someone younger in my mind.

Old 04-14-2011, 06:38 PM

2 posts, read 4,717 times
Ok thanks, what areas should I avoid?

Old 04-15-2011, 06:54 PM

2,975 posts, read 4,361,636 times
$1200 as a doctoral student?? Good for you, I could barely afford that as a postdoc here! Anyway, $1200 is a lot for a studio, you can easily get a proper 1-br or even 2-br for that price. By the way, "thin walls" is not about drywall at all, it's the effort (or lack of effort) that went into sound insulation behind/within the drywall. Newer condos tend to have better sound insulation than complexes built as apartments, and in this market, they often are a better value than apartment complexes.

Old 04-17-2011, 03:42 PM

3,912 posts, read 8,488,588 times
Are you set on living in the city of Fort Lauderdale? It is very expensive and not that safe. You won't be able to afford a luxury unit on $1200. You'd probably be better off looking elsewhere like Davie, Plantation, or Pompano Beach (eastern half).

Avoid anything west of US1 in Fort Lauderdale, and anything west of Dixie Highway in the rest of Broward County.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area