Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area
 [Register]
Fort Lauderdale area Broward County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2011, 06:57 PM

42 posts, read 119,716 times

Advertisements

My husband just accepted a job in Ft. Laud. and we are so excited to move from New Jersey to Florida. We have a 4 and a 6 year old. My oldest is in the public school system in New Jersey and my son attends a private preschool at our local jewish temple. (we are jewish). We are looking to spend around $550,000 for a home but can go up if we have too.
I need your help with the following:
1.Can anyone recommend gated communities in Parkland or Coral Springs that are very family oriented, newer, and have a community pool etc.
2.Can anyone recommend a jewish temple that has private kindergarten for my son to start in the fall. We are reform.
I am really looking for a community that is newer, gated, and has a ton of kids playing outside and very friendly.
Also, if there is another town that you would recommend I would appreciate all advice. I was told that parkland or coral springs matches what I am looking for.
Thanks so much for your help. I am very excited about this move but of course nervous at the same time.
Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2011, 08:23 AM

13 posts, read 53,501 times
Do yourself a big favor and look into the Cooper city area.The commute is shorter , the quality of life is much better.The schools are much better as well.There are alot of gang problems in the Coral Springs and Parkland schools and the city of Coral Springs just closed the Charter High School which was about the safest place to send your children.
Cooper city has won national awards the past 10 years and is the top city in florida,and also rated the greenest city in the USA as for park spaces.The market at this time is so bad thet you can buy an amazing home for the money you are looking to spend and likely can get a short sale for 1/2 of that. Moderator cut: no recommendations under 10 posts

Last edited by fauve; 03-10-2011 at 09:04 AM..

Old 03-10-2011, 09:11 AM

7,937 posts, read 20,379,501 times
Id check again to make sure that Coral Springs Charter HS is closed in fact they were at our DECA/Business Competition Last Week and one of the Gals came in 6th in our Son's Category he took 5th..Jackie we live in boca I see you posted there you can DM me if you have any questions...I do agree with Tony about Cooper City if you decide on Broward County over Palm Beach County when we were looking into Broward we looked in Weston and Cooper City but for us Boca was a much better fit...

Good Luck..

Old 03-10-2011, 12:53 PM

924 posts, read 1,677,235 times
Coral Springs Charter High is NOT closed. I live right around the corner from there. I just talked to our UPS guy who also delivers there and he has been there twice today. It's business as usual. We did have very bad weather and a traffic accident that tied up traffic at that intersection a little while ago. Perhaps they had to shut down the intersection. The school itself is, and has been for years, an "A" school and has a lot to be proud of.

To state that Coral Springs and Parkland have a lot gang problems is just plain wrong. I would say we probably have it much better than most. The only place in Broward County that probably has less of a problem is Weston. In 2010, Coral Springs was ranked 1st in the state and 44th in the country of Money Magazine's "Best Places to Live." That's hardly what I'd call "gang territory."

Old 03-10-2011, 03:39 PM

143 posts, read 416,008 times
Ok so I am new to Parkland as many on this forum already know. We are renting in Heron Bay (Parkland). I think it is very family friendly. My kids ride bikes to school, and within our neighborhood all the time.
Gangs in MSD High school-I have heard nothing about this. I think all high schools have their problems (teenagers have always been prone to the crazies) & the high schools are HUGE but I would say the bigger problem I hear about which occurs in most affluent areas (same as in NJ) is drugs NOT gangs. Almost everyone in my immediate neighborhood sends their kids to the public high school. As an side note: several of them drive BMWs to school which blows my mind . . .
I know a lot of people who use Kol Tivah (reform) for preschool. It may have a Kindergarten, I am not sure.
Good luck & feel free to dm me with any specific questions.

Old 03-11-2011, 07:43 AM

30 posts, read 96,017 times
Kol Tikvah has a preschool program - we plan to send our 4 year old in September...when we relocate from NJ...

Old 03-12-2011, 07:33 AM

11 posts, read 36,955 times
Jackie- we are in the same situation as you, so I am eager to hear responses. We are from NJ, I teach PreK at a Temple, (though I am not Jewish) and have a 8 and 6 yr old. DH has a job transfer to Plantation, and we are fortunate to have just sold our house. I have researched relentlesly on these boards, and DM'd a few members who have been extremely helpful with info. We also are down to Parkland, Central Boca, and Coral Springs. Looks like Boca may be too much of a commute though, given the better proximity of the other cities. But others have made recommendations of other cities as well, and I am so anxious to get down there to be able to see and make an informed decision myself, for what will fit our family! From what I understand, all of theses cities are different from each other and have unique qualities, but sounds like you and I are on the same page about schools and neigborhoods. Good luck!
Pam

Old 03-12-2011, 07:38 AM

11 posts, read 36,955 times
Oh, I also wanted to say that I have a friend who I met at the Temple who moved to Parkland who LOVES it. She lives in Heron Bay, kids go to Heron Heights. She said the thing she loves most about it is that she can just let the kids go outside and ride bikes and not worry about anything. She feels totally safe and comfortable, and says it is such a welcome change from here in NJ. (And they used to live in Warren!) She paints a wonderful picture of Parkland, and enjoys it so much, she made it a front runner in our book. (as well as dedemoving!-thnx!)
Pam

Old 03-12-2011, 09:19 AM

2,113 posts, read 5,076,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackienewjersey View Post
My husband just accepted a job in Ft. Laud. and we are so excited to move from New Jersey to Florida. We have a 4 and a 6 year old. My oldest is in the public school system in New Jersey and my son attends a private preschool at our local jewish temple. (we are jewish). We are looking to spend around $550,000 for a home but can go up if we have too.
I need your help with the following:
1.Can anyone recommend gated communities in Parkland or Coral Springs that are very family oriented, newer, and have a community pool etc.
2.Can anyone recommend a jewish temple that has private kindergarten for my son to start in the fall. We are reform.
I am really looking for a community that is newer, gated, and has a ton of kids playing outside and very friendly.
Also, if there is another town that you would recommend I would appreciate all advice. I was told that parkland or coral springs matches what I am looking for.
Thanks so much for your help. I am very excited about this move but of course nervous at the same time.
Thanks
We live in Parkland ( Heron Bay ) ... our daughters went to the local HS .. Stoneman Douglas .... good school by Florida standards and there was no gang problem ... that is untrue .... Parkland is a beautiful , safe place to live as is most of Coral Springs especially in the areas that border Parkland .... Coral Springs has a few unsavory areas .. but what town does not .. overall it is a kid friendly , safe place to live .

I cannot answer as to the temples as I am not Jewish .... but yes both Parkland and Coral Springs , along with Weston have very large Jewish populations .

Old 03-15-2011, 07:41 PM

205 posts, read 480,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dedemoving View Post
As an side note: several of them drive BMWs to school which blows my mind . . .

No surprise there, its is parkland!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area