U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area
 [Register]
Fort Lauderdale area Broward County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2011, 06:17 PM

6 posts, read 19,871 times

Advertisements

Thinking about making the move from Canada to south Florida...what does everyone love and hate about south florida...any house renting suggestions...can you buy a home without american credit? What would average monthly costs be minus the rent, because its different depending on the home...we'd love to know approx. electricity, insurance (renters and owners), etc. Thanks all!

Last edited by ontariopam; 03-29-2011 at 07:46 PM..
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2011, 06:09 PM

3,913 posts, read 8,384,393 times
What most people like/dislike about South FL:

Like:
1. The weather
2. The traffic
3. The diversity

Dislike:
1. The weather
2. The traffic
3. The diversity

Old 04-04-2011, 03:33 PM

15 posts, read 52,451 times
Like: no, make that "love" the weather 5mos/year

Dislike: the weather 7mos a year including the hurricane media frenzy every time a tropical depression forms on the west coast of Africa

Old 04-05-2011, 06:21 PM

3,913 posts, read 8,384,393 times
I actually like the extreme summer weather. Even though the humidity really is a pain and the heat is exhausting if you're an outdoors person, I just love it. I don't know why. The only part that really annoys me is when I wanna go out at night with friends and I'm freshly showered and shaved, in nice clothes to go out. Then the second you step outside you immediately start sweating to death.

Old 04-11-2011, 06:13 AM

70 posts, read 273,723 times
Someone forgot the CRIME problem.

Old 04-11-2011, 06:32 AM

143 posts, read 377,367 times
My likes list: Sunshine, Free beaches, Flowers/Green all year round, Really good fruit in Winter esp strawberries, Single stream recycling (no more hours of tying up boxes/papers), Relaxed attitude- beach & casual wear accepted most places, Parks are plentiful, Generally lots to do/see/explore.
Dislikes: Newspapers not as good, fewer book stores, lack of arts in public school, everyone has a gun (overall makes me nervous), still miss Trader Joes & my old butcher.

Old 04-11-2011, 09:18 AM

3,043 posts, read 7,076,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michael near Athens View Post
Someone forgot the CRIME problem.

Ive lived here for 23 years and I have never been a victim of crime. In certain areas, it is a problem - similar to all major cities. Before, I lived in NYC, also never a victim of crime. Stay out of unsafe areas, and you should be okay.

Likes: I like boating. I like the weather in the winter. I like the restaurants downtown. I like the beach. I'm going to start fishing soon - Im sure I will like that too.

Dislikes: the weather in the summer - mostly the humidity, the price of homeowner's insurance (around $3K - triple anywhere else in the country), the bugs, the lack of opportunities for the unemployed - we officially have a 12% rate - I suspect it's around 40% when you consider the people who no longer are eligible to collect unemployment, or who no longer bother to look for work (myself included), or those who are retired, or the young people who have never worked and can't get a job. I heard an amazing statistic - only 20% of the 2010 college graduates got jobs - and that's nationwide - I'm sure it's much higher here. And, it's always worse for high school graduates and drop-outs - especially minorities.

Old 04-11-2011, 10:17 AM

734 posts, read 1,122,673 times
I do like: Wheather ( more specific the temperatures from Nov thru April )
Beaches ( Florida is the only huge tropical-subtropical beach in first World country )
Diversity of style-living
Night life only in safe areas
Mediterranean architecture design homes built in the 1920's-1940's
Art Deco and Design district in Miami and Miami Beach.
Coral Gables, Miami Shores, some sections of Miami Beach, Rio Vista, Coral Ridge,
Loxahatchee Beach in Manalapan, East Delray Beach by George Bush boulevard, Palm Beach
island, Hutchinson island, Juno Beach area, Naples, Fernandina Beach, Saint Agustine and
Saint Augustine Beach, Siesta Key.
Vizcaya Palace, Freedom Tower, Miracle Mile, Granada Boulevard, Venetian Pool, Brickell
historic district homes, El Cid homes in WPB, Fort Lauderdale intern. airport, Las Olas Blvd,
Galleria Mall, Town Center Mall, Gateway cinema, Sunrise cinema, Paradiso cinema,
Fort Pierce antique shops, Watson island fishery restaurant, Ritz Carlton Manalapan,
The Brakers, Coconut Groove Bay hotel, Apogee building.

Dislike: Driving my racing car when "snowbirds" are in town, specially those whose car's tags says
"Je me souviens" ( they drive soooo slow )
Customer service in general.
Valet parking service ( they do not give a damm about your car)
Public school system and its school board regime controlled by uneducated and
uncompetent people.
Hospitals and clinics with extremely few exceptions.
I-95 expressway.
Superslow drivers in general.
Idiots on their cell phones when driving specially on expressways ( when not texting )
Miami intrnl airport.
Guettos in general.
Politicians and their third World country style's campaigns specially in S. Florida.
Attorneys while in duty in Court with pony tales and wearing tennis shoes/sneakers.
Prejudice red-necky narrow-minded people.
People with obvious lack of elegant demeanor and rude approaching even when having a
question.

Old 04-11-2011, 12:18 PM

416 posts, read 974,879 times
I am originally from Canada, and lived for many years in South Florida, and I am so HAPPY that I got OUT ! ! !
The worst thing is the RUDENESS of the people. It is NOT the friendly "south". In fact where I was (Broward) the majority of people were RUDE New Yorkers, who are quick to tell you how they did everything properly up there and how we are all idiots to them. Look for an episode that shows where Seinfeld's parents live for an accurate depiction of the craziness and stupidity.
also,
in many parts of South Florida they are fed up with the Quebecois, and as a result are openly hostile to all Canadians.
I think S.Fl. is expensive too, but if you are coming from Toronto, you might think the cost of living is VERY affordable, and the traffic might not even bother you.
So,
if you like humidity, and learn a bit of Spanish, and learn to say "shalom" and "oi vey", and enjoy hearing tales of how great New York is, and you pick a safe area, and dont have to fight traffic for a commute, . . . your strong Canadian dollars might convert to a happy lifestyle. (not for me though)

Old 04-11-2011, 02:06 PM

81 posts, read 152,806 times
I live in Sunny Isles Beach and see lots of Canadians (mainly from Quebec) around. I'm told they are mostly 'snow birds' and will soon be returning back to Canada. Perhaps it's a 'Canadian friendly' city to consider? In Sunny Isles Beach you can buy an older fixer-upper apartment for $60,000 a few blocks from the beach, or a swanky, modern apartment on the beach for millions. It depends what your budget is. I know several people who are not US citizens and have vacation homes in South Florida, so I assume that yes, you can buy without American credit, but perhaps those folks paid in full??? Take a look at ziprealty.com to have an idea of what would work for you. There's a calculator that even tells you taxes and insurance so you know what your monthly payment would be.

I would highly recommend spending a few weeks down here before relocating. And I don't mean a few weeks at a nice hotel on South Beach eating at fancy restaurants that cater to tourists. Drive out to the 'burbs and go to the post office, grocery store, bank, go run errands to get a feel for the real South Florida and it's people. Living here as a snow bird is probably lovely, but living and working here is not much fun dealing with the insane drivers and rude/mean people everywhere. No, not all of them, just 95% of them are rude. I have been here for several months on a 'test drive' and I am definitely not buying this car!

And if you plan on moving, you should brush up on your EspaƱol. It will be harder to navigate around here without it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area