Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area
 [Register]
Fort Lauderdale area Broward County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2007, 10:31 AM

440 posts, read 1,495,224 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wesonhalfback View Post
We have been trying to sell our house in Weston for about a year with no such luck. Yes, I am miserable! LOL! We have been living in one of these gated communities for about six years and I can tell you that Weston is one of the better places to live in Broward County as far as crime, safety, looks, feel, and schools, parks, etc. The city is well represented by wealthy South Americans, White Americans, Jews, Blacks, The Elementary schools are all good, but the middle schools and high school is an issue to us even though they have a good rating.

We have been trying to move to Charlotte, NC and because we have not sold our house, we decided to come here this summer and "test Drive" the area to see if we like it. Well, We have been here two months and the differences are quite dramatic. Now we know why we have been trying to move out of South Florida. Weston is one of the most materialistic places in South Florida. People in general are very "clicky" and not necessarily the most friendly. Yes, there are exceptions to everything, but in general this is how it is. I honestly do not think there are any values in Weston unless keeping up with the Joneses is part of those values. There are more Lexus, BMW, and Mercedes in Weston that I have seen in the whole city of Charlotte. There is a bigger sense of community and values in Charlotte than in South Florida.

We will probably end up going back to our home in Weston because of our own housing situation. I also know we will be fine because this is the place we have called home for over six years and we know better. We have gotten to the point that we would be giving away the house away for the benefit of our children's future. Anyone looking for a great deal?

With all this said, I would rather live in Weston than anywhere else in South Florida. It is safe. it is clean, It is new. Best Schools in Broward.

Good post .... as much as my sister and her husband like Weston they do complain about the "snob " factor of many people there and the keeping up with appearances of many residents . In all though they have made great friends from New York , New Jersey California and Latin America ... it is a safe community , very clean and my niece and nephew participate in all kinds of sports and both go to private high school as my sister did not feel comfortable sending them to Cypress Bay after going to Falcon Cove Middle School . I guess you have to make your circle of friends and places you like and try and ignore all the negative people around you ... that is what they have done and overall they are happy in Weston .

Note they had a neighbor in Weston , originally from New Jersey who retired at 55 and after eight years in Weston moved to Charlotte , NC with his wife and is now hating life due to the redneck factor , southern culture shock racial issues and plain boredom ... I like Charlotte .... but I guess the grass is greener on the other side for some people !!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2007, 10:42 AM

8,377 posts, read 30,903,465 times
From what I hear, people seem to be happier with Tequesta Trace and even Indian Ridge in Davie than Falcon Cove. Tequesta Trace is signifigantly less crowded, and Indian Ridge is keeping up with its growth with new building extensions.

Old 07-31-2007, 11:32 AM

275 posts, read 1,471,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phantomdilbert View Post

I do like the basis of comparison to other areas, but is there anyone that can give insight of moving from Bay Area, CA to Weston, FL? That's the move I'd be making.
-- sure that would be as easy as having someone say, hey i'm thinking of moving from chicago to Noe Valley please compare. You cannot compare the bay area to weston; at best you can compare the bay area to south florida. South Florida is basically the antithesis of the bay area. The only possible reasons that i could imagine someone voluntarily moving from the bay area to south florida would be 1) they love tropcal weather / beaches. 2) They are politically/religiously conservative and don't like the general liberal/progressive dynamics of the bay area. 3) housing costs.

But if you have a housing budget of 1 mil -- 3 doesn't really matter. Although sf is ridiculously expensive 1 mil will still get you a decent abode. As far as 1 -- with your budget, go to hawaii instead. As far as item 2 -- try phoenix or Salt Lake City.

If you really want people to help you make a decision about Weston, you have to provide more real information about your existing neighborhood, what you like or don't about it and what you want in a new area.

Just as a general thought though -- I can offer this -- If you have read through all of the previous posts and still have any inclination at all to move to Weston, you should do it... you would deserve Weston and vice-versa.

Quote:
In terms of diversity, my preference has been more 'multi-cultural' diversity. I am of Asian decent and ability to see and experience various Asian, Hispanic, European, and other cultures here in California.
There is no sense of Asian culture in Weston or elsewhere in south Florida. People will often refer to you as "Oriental" without even realizing it is viewed as a derogotory term. The ignorance is astounding.

Old 07-31-2007, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MobyLL View Post
They are politically/religiously conservative and don't like the general liberal/progressive dynamics of the bay area.
Are you kidding me? Broward County is about as liberal as it gets. It's second to being in an urban area in California socially. We just don't have much of a sense of political activism overall. We have cities with openly gay mayors, I have to laugh at the "religiously conservative" part, because we contain one of the highest percentages of Jewish residents in the world, and although yes, there is a large Cathloic population here, this isn't the deep south where the First Baptist Church rules the land. Look, it's not California (we still have the rather conservative state government), but it's not "conservative".

Old 07-31-2007, 12:10 PM

275 posts, read 1,471,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fort lauderdale View Post
Are you kidding me? Broward County is about as liberal as it gets. It's second to being in an urban area in California socially. We just don't have much of a sense of political activism overall. We have cities with openly gay mayors, I have to laugh at the "religiously conservative" part, because we contain one of the highest percentages of Jewish residents in the world, and although yes, there is a large Cathloic population here, this isn't the deep south where the First Baptist Church rules the land. Look, it's not California (we still have the rather conservative state government), but it's not "conservative".
No I'm not kidding you. My point was that if a person is a political and/or religious conservative, they would in general feel more comfortable in South Florida than the SF Bay Area. Broward County is probably best described as moderate... more liberal overall than most of Florida for sure, but nowhere near as liberal or progressive or whatever term you want to use than the SF Bay Area. Everything is relative.

Old 07-31-2007, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MobyLL View Post
No I'm not kidding you. My point was that if a person is a political and/or religious conservative, they would in general feel more comfortable in South Florida than the SF Bay Area. Broward County is probably best described as moderate... more liberal overall than most of Florida for sure, but nowhere near as liberal or progressive or whatever term you want to use than the SF Bay Area. Everything is relative.
Well, I can agree with that philosophy. There are some very liberal areas east of 95, but I guess overall, Broward is kind of politically indifferent leaning on a liberal bend. Definitely not "conservative" by any standard, though...I would more so describe this as "less liberal" than the bay area than more conservative...This is more liberal than probably 90 percent of the country

Old 07-31-2007, 02:56 PM

3 posts, read 6,844 times
As I mentioned before The differences between Charlotte and Weston or South Florida are Huge. I should mention that I am also Jewish and yes culturally speaking is more of a change. But I think a positive change. We are a huge minority here versus in S. Florida or Weston. You have to go out and "seek it" . You don't take anything for granted like we do at home. This is Bible country, but the area has become much more diversified with people form all over the US and the World and religious backgrounds. . BUT IT IS STILL NO SAN FRANCISCO OR SOUTH FLORIDA/WESTON You still have that southern mentality, but I think that is where the values and morals might come into play. How many times have a gone to a Chick Fill A (yes, the biggest fast food in town!) and the kids behind the cashier call you "Sir" and say "thank you" ? Good luck finding that kind of respect in South Florida...ANYWHERE!!!! Those are the things that impressed me the most about this area. Those are the little things that make me say "lets move" .

SInce you are coming from San Francisco and you are Asian. Two things come to mind, especially after being here in Charlotte and living in Los Angeles after my college years. First of all, Weston and South Florida are very diversified and very acceptable of anything. You can be from Venezuela, Colombia, Israel, Italy, China, and even New York (LOL!) and nobody really cares. Everything goes and everybody fits in. The second thing is Weston is suburbia at its best. It is not San Francisco and it can not be compared to San Francisco in that respect. South Florida is more like the Los Angeles area in many ways. To me SF is a very very unique place. There is nothing like San Francisco the same way there is nothing like New York, London, or Jerusalem. Weston is one of the best places to live in S Florida if you have school aged kids. Just make sure you get yourself a Lexus in order to fit in. Otherwise, you will be picked on and not because you are from SF and you are Asian, but for the simple reason you are not driven a Lexus. ............ If it were me and I had to do it again, Weston will be my first choice in South Florida.

Last edited by wesonhalfback; 07-31-2007 at 03:12 PM..

Old 07-31-2007, 02:58 PM

Seriously, the quality of life is no issue in this area, neither is race. You are just going to have to get used to some pretentiousness if you move to Weston. There aren't exactly "no" Asians here, but the population is really small. Actually, Pembroke Pines and Miramar (Went from being 3 percent to 7.5 percent Asian between 2000 and 2005,fastest growing ethnic group in Miramar, west part of the city is about 15 percent Asian) have really experienced a huge increase in their Asian populations.

Good reply overall from Westonhalfback, but I will add the use of the word "Oriental" is common around here. People here actually call Asian Indians "Hindus"...they don't intend it as a racist way,and embrace the cultures, it's just that the Asian population is really just starting to grow very recently and it was growing from virtually nothing...people are starting to become more knowledgeable about the cultures of their new Asian neighbors. People are open to the new cultures, they just have a learning process to go through .

Last edited by compelled to reply; 07-31-2007 at 03:18 PM.. Reason: corrections

Old 07-31-2007, 03:16 PM

3 posts, read 6,844 times
I am sorry and I have slapped myself for making that comment. I meant Asian and I have since revised it. I was typing very fast. Did not mean to disrespect anyone on this board.

Old 07-31-2007, 08:52 PM

5 posts, read 27,727 times
Thanks again to the lively replies.

Motivation to move is based on numerous factors, primarly that an opportunity arose that would allow me to give my family potentially a better quality of life. It is a career opportunity, albiet much more risky considering we would have to relocate for this.

Private versus public: the debate on this is larger than this particular thread. I personally don't mind private per se, I went to a Catholic faith private school for 12 years and funny enough went to a Jesuit graduate school. However my wife went through all public school. Who has more moral upbringing? My wife =).

Cars: I own a BMW so does that mean I fit in now =)? (wait, it's only a 3 series)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area