Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area
 [Register]
Fort Lauderdale area Broward County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-04-2011, 02:55 PM

1,584 posts, read 981,928 times

Advertisements

Am researching the feasibility of visiting the sights in Ft. Lauderdale as a day trip via commuter rail from Miami without using a car or taxis. I dislike renting cars or using taxis (will normally refuse this), can't ride a bike, and like to use public transportation. Have drawn up the following tentative plan:

6:23 or 6:53 AM Airport Flyer Bus to Airport – change to commuter rail 7:00 AM departure – go to Ft. Lauderdale station
Take #9 or #81 bus to transit hub, then #11 bus
9:00 AM – International Swimming Hall of Fame
#11 bus
11:00 AM – Bonnet House
#11 bus
1:00 PM – Old Ft. Lauderdale Village and Museum
3:00 PM – Stranahan House (tours at 1, 2, and 3 only)
4:30 PM – Ft. Lauderdale Museum of Art (open until 6 PM)
#9 or #81 bus to Ft. Lauderdale commuter rail station, 7:50, 8:45, or 9:45 PM train – arrive Airport Station, take Airport Flyer bus to South Beach

It looks like this is feasible, though my biggest concern is the safety in the region around the commuter rail stop and on the bus between there and the downtown bus hub. Was also considering a visit to the West Palm Beach/Palm Beach area but all reports suggest the train station there is unsafe and much of WPB near places like the Norton Museum is not good -- and am now very likely to scrap that idea. Am hoping the station in Ft. Lauderdale isn't as bad as the one in WPB -- or is it?

Research suggests all else in Ft. Lauderdale on this plan should be okay.

I've done a fair bit of travel and have taken public transport or walked through notably urban areas on main streets during daylight hours in other cities with no ill effects. I also dress down when I travel -- nothing fancy or expensive (jeans, t-shirt, no wrist watch or jewelry).

Would definitely like feedback on this itinerary, especially from a safety standpoint.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2011, 03:50 PM

1,468 posts, read 4,750,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bachslunch View Post
Am researching the feasibility of visiting the sights in Ft. Lauderdale as a day trip via commuter rail from Miami without using a car or taxis. I dislike renting cars or using taxis (will normally refuse this), can't ride a bike, and like to use public transportation. Have drawn up the following tentative plan:

6:23 or 6:53 AM Airport Flyer Bus to Airport – change to commuter rail 7:00 AM departure – go to Ft. Lauderdale station
Take #9 or #81 bus to transit hub, then #11 bus
9:00 AM – International Swimming Hall of Fame
#11 bus
11:00 AM – Bonnet House
#11 bus
1:00 PM – Old Ft. Lauderdale Village and Museum
3:00 PM – Stranahan House (tours at 1, 2, and 3 only)
4:30 PM – Ft. Lauderdale Museum of Art (open until 6 PM)
#9 or #81 bus to Ft. Lauderdale commuter rail station, 7:50, 8:45, or 9:45 PM train – arrive Airport Station, take Airport Flyer bus to South Beach

It looks like this is feasible, though my biggest concern is the safety in the region around the commuter rail stop and on the bus between there and the downtown bus hub. Was also considering a visit to the West Palm Beach/Palm Beach area but all reports suggest the train station there is unsafe and much of WPB near places like the Norton Museum is not good -- and am now very likely to scrap that idea. Am hoping the station in Ft. Lauderdale isn't as bad as the one in WPB -- or is it?

Research suggests all else in Ft. Lauderdale on this plan should be okay.

I've done a fair bit of travel and have taken public transport or walked through notably urban areas on main streets during daylight hours in other cities with no ill effects. I also dress down when I travel -- nothing fancy or expensive (jeans, t-shirt, no wrist watch or jewelry).

Would definitely like feedback on this itinerary, especially from a safety standpoint.
I don't see why not, much of what you want to do is in the same areas. The buss station is not in the best area but there is a ton of people there all the time waiting and changing buses so you should be OK. Buses run pretty late but I would not really want to be in that area after dark though. Just being honest. All though things can take a while though. Stranahan house is nice and walking distance from the buss station and Museum of art. You know I liver right near there and have only been once for the King Tut show. Funny we never get around to doing the things right in our own back yards.

Old 04-05-2011, 01:02 AM

2,975 posts, read 4,940,440 times
The Tri-Rail shuttle routes and Sun Trolley are alternatives for getting between the tri-rail, downtown, and beach in Fort Lauderdale. This process will probably be slower than you expect (BCT really should run something direct from the Tri-Rail to the beach!!!). The downtown bus station can be a bit sketchy, but I wouldn't consider it dangerous. There is a river taxi service, but I'm not sure how useful it would be.

Remember the Miami Airport Tri-rail station is closed, and the shuttle will take you to Hialeah Market station instead. Try not to cut your rail/bus connections close, or you'll be sad.

In the morning, you could potentially get to downtown Miami and get the 95 Dade-Broward Express bus direct on I-95 to FLL Tri-Rail (saves you a transfer--no tri-rail shuttle bus). This would be advantageous if you live close to 5th st in South Beach.

Another option of getting back is BCT 1 and transfer to MDT S in Aventura. Depending on the schedules late in the evening, your travel time might be similar with just one transfer to worry about...instead of 3 transfers

At any rate, please post the results of your inter-county transit adventure!

Old 04-05-2011, 05:35 AM

11,642 posts, read 23,909,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mango23 View Post
I don't see why not, much of what you want to do is in the same areas. The buss station is not in the best area but there is a ton of people there all the time waiting and changing buses so you should be OK. Buses run pretty late but I would not really want to be in that area after dark though. Just being honest. All though things can take a while though. Stranahan house is nice and walking distance from the buss station and Museum of art. You know I liver right near there and have only been once for the King Tut show. Funny we never get around to doing the things right in our own back yards.
I concur. The itinerary seems doable. As long as the OP is out of the bus station before dark everything should be ok.

You should get out and see the Treasures of the Vatican exhibit. It was fascinating and I'm not even Christian.

Old 04-05-2011, 01:22 PM

1,468 posts, read 4,750,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Momma_bear View Post
I concur. The itinerary seems doable. As long as the OP is out of the bus station before dark everything should be ok.

You should get out and see the Treasures of the Vatican exhibit. It was fascinating and I'm not even Christian.
Is that going on now? My wife would probably like it.

Old 05-26-2011, 10:17 AM

1,584 posts, read 981,928 times
All, thanks for the information -- it was very helpful.

The #11 bus worked like a charm here getting between attractions. As far as going between the Ft. Lauderdale bus hub and Tri-Rail, there are dedicated shuttles that run with some frequency.

And the Dade-Broward 95X bus shuttle from Miami was perfect to reach the Ft. Lauderdale Tri-Rail station -- much easier to access from a South Beach location via the "S" bus to the downtown Miami bus island than trying to hook up with Tri-Rail down in Miami somewhere. Just make sure it's the 95X bus to Ft. Lauderdale Tri-Rail you're taking, not the Sheridan Street one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area