Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area
 [Register]
Fort Lauderdale area Broward County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2011, 05:42 PM

1 posts, read 1,463 times

Advertisements

I am 28 years old, born and raised in NY city. currently work in accounts payable for a prestigious hospital with prior work experience in banking. i'm tired of the hustle and bustle, extreme traffic and the need to commute in the train to work everyday.

Can anyone provide some information/helpful tips on relocating or the life (carreer opps and home owning/rentals) of a Floridian and what parts of FL are nice, safe but also not boring?

Much appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2011, 07:33 AM

389 posts, read 1,083,949 times
If you are tired of extreme traffic then South FL is not for you...

Old 04-05-2011, 06:18 PM

3,910 posts, read 9,469,718 times
The only part of FL that is not boring is South FL. And traffic here can be described as extreme. It isn't as bad as NYC traffic, but the drivers are crazier here. Less volume but more suicidal driving. You're more likely to be involved in a hit and run, etc. Most of the rest of FL is laid back, spread out, and pretty much boring. Tampa and Orlando have a few hot spots but they're nowhere near the hustle-bustle of South FL.

If you want to avoid hustle and bustle, I suggest looking elsewhere. You are going to find a lot of the same problems down here as in NYC.

Old 04-06-2011, 01:27 AM

28 posts, read 61,727 times
If you are searching for homes in Florida or any other location in the United States, you might want to try Welcome to Listingbook.com. I'm a realtor in Los Angeles and I know that many Multiple Listing Services are connected to this website. Good luck on your move.

Old 04-07-2011, 01:12 PM

4,346 posts, read 7,826,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amazing4203 View Post
I am 28 years old, born and raised in NY city. currently work in accounts payable for a prestigious hospital with prior work experience in banking. i'm tired of the hustle and bustle, extreme traffic and the need to commute in the train to work everyday.

Can anyone provide some information/helpful tips on relocating or the life (carreer opps and home owning/rentals) of a Floridian and what parts of FL are nice, safe but also not boring?

Much appreciated!
Miami is definitely not boring.

Old 04-07-2011, 11:22 PM

70 posts, read 176,111 times
If you're tired of slow traffic Miami is where you want to be... lol.

I-95 south of Oakland Park Blvd in Fort Lauderdale to Miami is by far the scariest roads I've been on in America and I drag race on the weekend!

Old 04-08-2011, 04:36 AM

1,108 posts, read 4,217,602 times
Hospital's in Florida always seem to be hiring...but you will never know until you try...like everyone will tell you...I would try and find a job down there before I considered making the move...you could Google hospitals in the areas you are interested in...and then contact them directly to find out who to mail your resume to...you may luck out and find something...if not at least you are moving forward and not just sitting and dreaming...

Old 04-08-2011, 06:35 AM

49 posts, read 140,102 times
As a former resident of Broward County for 15 yrs and frequent visitor to NYC, I can tell you they are apples and pears (or oranges). NYC a car is optional, So Fl mandatory. Everything is spread out and cab service is not very reliable. Yes, both are crowded and there are a lot of New Yorkers so you'll feel a bit at home. NYC is city life. So Fl is "sprawl" life. There are good things about both but they are very different. So Fl summers are HOT and of course very touristy, although not as much as central Fl. Miami is predominantly Cuban so knowing Spanish can be very useful.

Old 04-09-2011, 04:35 PM

3,910 posts, read 9,469,718 times
I will say that Broward County traffic isn't all that bad for a large city. But Miami traffic is right up there with the worst. Palm Beach County actually has the least traffic and the roads are the newest and best laid out with wide lines and everything. But it just depends on what level of boring/hustle-bustle you want.

Old 04-10-2011, 03:45 PM

363 posts, read 442,900 times
Im from NY and been here 10 years. The traffic isnt nearly as bad as the Long Island or City traffic. Dont let these people fool you.

It's not really much cheaper here and you wont make as much Im sure.

Think vegas... if you can find a job there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area