U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area
 [Register]
Fort Lauderdale area Broward County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-05-2011, 09:27 PM

13 posts, read 19,959 times

Advertisements

I have to start a new job with CCF Hospital in June sometime. I and my husband would be moving to SoFL and we are looking to buy a low maintenance condo/townhome as rental is really expensive. We would like to stay as close as possible to the hospital due to the nature of the job. Should we visit the area and stay there for a week or so and finish off the deal or just look for apartments to begin with and then find a condo/townhome? From our research, Weston, Sunrise appear to be decent cities and we feel safe to buy a place even without knowing the area. Please let us know how we should proceed. The rental prices of $1400 for a 2 BR appears to be too high for our budget to be honest.

So, to summarize

1) How much time should we spend in finding a decent townhome/condo around 200K within 3-5 miles radius of CCF
2) Should we rent first and then buy?
3) How is the area in general?
4) How safe is it to make a quick deal when buying a property in South FL? We are first-time home buyers. Have been renting for 6 years now, no kids yet.

And BTW, we are looking for a low maintenance home because we won't have much time to do the backyard, frontyard and stuff like that.

TIA
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2011, 06:40 AM

4,278 posts, read 6,406,621 times
Weston has no bad areas. Even places adjacent to Weston have no bad areas.

In Weston, it only takes 10 minutes to drive from one side of town to another, so I wouldn't worry about finding something close to CCF. There is no bad traffic either.

But The Ridges and Emerald Estates are probably the nearest single family home communities. You can also find homes for rent there.

Condos... I would recommend Courtyard at the Grove. Also there is a townhome development next to the Ridges. Can't remember the name off the top of my head.

Old 04-06-2011, 10:27 AM

@rusty: we are keeping our both options open....we might rent 1st and then buy ...

@rusky: Do you know any new home builders in weston area??

Old 04-06-2011, 10:52 AM

Weston is fully built as far as I know (there were only two builders: Arvida for all developments except one - Isles was Weston was built by Centex)

I think there is a little new construction going on in the Windmill Ranch Estates, but those are custom made mansions.

If you are interested in building something new, then look into Southwest Ranches. It is right next to Weston and is within 10 minutes from CCF. But I am not familiar with any builders there.

Old 04-06-2011, 05:27 PM

2,033 posts, read 2,643,241 times
You can not go wrong in Weston. I do agree though if just moving there rent 1st a get to know area as you never know if it is right for you or how long you will stay. Selling now and for a while is not that east anymore so factor that into your decision. There are many rental options in area. Townhouse is good option if buy as usually will be only your inside you need to worry about. Outside maintenance usually covered by HOA.

Old 04-07-2011, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by loribell38 View Post
You can not go wrong in Weston. I do agree though if just moving there rent 1st a get to know area as you never know if it is right for you or how long you will stay. Selling now and for a while is not that east anymore so factor that into your decision. There are many rental options in area. Townhouse is good option if buy as usually will be only your inside you need to worry about. Outside maintenance usually covered by HOA.
yeah thats what we thought ....weston is safe and residential area...we dont have kids yet so not much thinking abt school...but I heard weston has really good public school....the only thing which is imp to us to have house close to CCF..and contemporary infrastructure(stainless steel appliances, granite counter top, marble or hardwood floor, standing shower....)

We checked out few houses online ..and emerald seems good...can u suggest other good community with contemporary infrastr in Weston?? We are thinking of buying conndo or townhome with 3 br....

Old 04-07-2011, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruski View Post
Weston is fully built as far as I know (there were only two builders: Arvida for all developments except one - Isles was Weston was built by Centex)

I think there is a little new construction going on in the Windmill Ranch Estates, but those are custom made mansions.

If you are interested in building something new, then look into Southwest Ranches. It is right next to Weston and is within 10 minutes from CCF. But I am not familiar with any builders there.

Thanks ruski...I checked out windmill ranch...awesome mansions..but out of our budget...

I tried to search for southwest ranchees new construction but could not find one...can u suggest any link??

Old 04-07-2011, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steverachel View Post
yeah thats what we thought ....weston is safe and residential area...we dont have kids yet so not much thinking abt school...but I heard weston has really good public school....the only thing which is imp to us to have house close to CCF..and contemporary infrastructure(stainless steel appliances, granite counter top, marble or hardwood floor, standing shower....)

We checked out few houses online ..and emerald seems good...can u suggest other good community with contemporary infrastr in Weston?? We are thinking of buying conndo or townhome with 3 br....

Most of Weston was built in late 90's and a lot of Weston was built in early 2000's, so you will find modern infrastructure everywhere. Not only inside the house but outside too - all electrical and phone wires are buried in the ground and you have fibre to the curb (phone and DSL).
Now not all homes will have stainless fridge/range/dishwasher. Even when the newer homes were being built, the base offer was regular stuff and Formica cabinets. I don't remember seeing stainless appliances on the list of our upgrade options. Typical upgrades were things like various wood cabinets, better cabinet handles, Corian or granite counter tops, nicer tile, etc.
Maybe Isles of Weston will have more of what you are looking for. Isles of Weston was the most recent development, done by Centex Homes - very Not Arvida stuff (Arvida was the developer who did all other developments). Isles of Weston is not very far from CCF.

Other than Emerald Estates (which is a little older,but recently spruced up), take a look at the Ridges - it is also close to CCF and is a little newer. Right next to the Ridges, there is San Simeon which is a non-gated townhouse development and is pretty nice.

Also within close proximity of CCF there are Executive Homes development which are older but quite nice, like this one
Executive Homes Ii Weston, FL (Florida) Real Estate - Executive Homes Ii Home - MLS Number F1121274 - 1602 NEWPORT LN 33326 (http://browardflorida.org/mls_listings/F1121274 - broken link)

Or Country Isles Garden Homes are not very far either.

Wouldn't hurt to look at the Weston Hills CC... tends to be expensive, but they have a town house development there, right on the golf course.

To tell you the truth, even if you go all the way to the other side of Weston (Savanna or Meadows) you are still only 10-15 minutes away from CCF.

Quote:
Thanks ruski...I checked out windmill ranch...awesome mansions..but out of our budget...

I tried to search for southwest ranchees new construction but could not find one...can u suggest any link??
There is no one big developer for Southwest Ranches I think. People there just do their own stuff. And they ride their own horses there too. Sometimes I wish I lived there and had my own horse.

Maybe this will give you an idea about some developers in SW R.
Southwest Ranches New Home Builders - Home Builders in Southwest Ranches, FL - NewHomeGuide.com

Old 04-27-2011, 07:30 PM

Thanks a lot Ruski. Appreciate your detailed response. We visited Monterra at Cooper city and they do have brand new homes. The only issue so far is the power line towers crossing over the whole community. We are not sure how harmful it is but if anyone has any insight into this whole Monterra City project then please let us know.

They are also asking a premium price for the newer amenities so not sure if we should pay that considering that there are so many foreclosures and short sales in the area.

Also, any reviews about Savanah community to the west of CCF?

Old 04-27-2011, 08:28 PM

11,642 posts, read 21,406,935 times
Quote:

You won't find new construction in SW Ranches for under $200K. SW Ranches is expensive. Condos will be easier to find in Weston. Weston is very nice and there are no bad neighborhoods.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area