U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area
 [Register]
Fort Lauderdale area Broward County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2011, 03:14 PM

143 posts, read 377,397 times

Advertisements

One more thing I wanted to mention as a FYI about Parkland which I wish I would have known. I know you are not interested in a gated, HOA development- however if you want access to a pool make sure you buy house with one. We are renting in home without a pool (which I preferred) but it is soooo very hot here in the summer & Parkland does not have a town pool nor does the Parkland YMCA.
You would either need to join one of the pools in Coral Springs or Boca Raton, either way it is somewhat of a drive/hassle.
Good luck!
And feel free to dm me with any other Parkland specific questions. This forum was a life saver for me during our move!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2011, 03:51 PM

11,642 posts, read 21,411,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Landscapr View Post
Ahhhh, yes I looked in SW Ranches and found some great stuff. OK, so what I am learning is to get a good real estate agent who can locate home that are zoned for some specific schools. Its good to hear some of the areas I have seen already are in decent school districts. I am making lists of all these suggestions.

Having NO idea about FL its sometimes crazy trying to piece all the details together via the internet.
Please do not buy a home and depend on what a realtor tells you about what school it is zoned for. Use the school locator at this site:

School Locator

Realtors often rely on what homeowners tell them and the homeowners are often wrong.

Old 04-07-2011, 03:54 PM

Quote:
DedeMoving: THANKS so much for the specifics, makes it so much easier to drill down some research, GoogleEarth and I are good friends at this point. Many of our streets are w/out sidewalks too, but are in the more residential quiet areas so the kids don't really need to worry. However, I like the idea of pathways and such. Sounds like it can be a fun area just to live.

Loribell38, thanks as well for the Weston info. Looks like much of that city will be out as I just refuse to pay HOA (been there, done that in my 20s).

I have heard good things about both places all over these forums, but it is looking like Parkland may have more of waht we are looking for in the end.

Question: anyone have an idea on commute times to Sunrise? Thats where my husband will be working and i do not know what direction commute traffic runs out there.

thx again
I live in Plantation, very close to the western part of Sunrise and it takes me around 20-25 minutes to get to the lacrosse fields in Parkland, which are right across the street from Trail's End Elementary School. I take Sawgrass Epressway (toll road) and it is an easy drive.

Old 04-08-2011, 11:29 AM

30 posts, read 72,998 times
Ah, thanks for that school locater website, I saved it and will definitley be using it. I have used greatschools.org a lot but there can be many schools in the same zipcode so its useless for zoning.

Dede, yup I may be DMing you in the future for more specifics if/when I can get out there. There are SO many things going on with this job right now and I too have used this forum to try to get a handle on areas I am looking into.

Its good to hear the commutes really are not that bad, which is a relative statement I know! Here, its an hour round trip in TRAFFFIC up the ONE fwy that got him to work maybe 22 miles away! 45 min if he went off hours.

Why is it that I see posts that seem to imply that even the 'good' public schools there are not really good, just 'good' by FL standards?? If you look at test scores they are overall decent, so what is the concern that people seem to have? I am not from LA where the public school are really overall lousy, we are in Orange County where they are mixed and seem to either be very goo or very poor as far as testing goes. Kids still gain college aadmission etc though, so what am I missing about the Fl public school system???

Old 10-29-2011, 06:40 PM

166 posts, read 346,737 times
Quote:
Thats a great summation of the differences. Parkland's more rural feel is fine with me. I'd much prefer that I think to perfectly planned albeit beautiful Weston. If you have ever been to Franklin TN it has these rural properties with huge lots which make you feel like you are in the country, but the schools and the local Target etc are 5-10 minutes away. It was a great mix!

Sounds like Weston may be out regardless of schools, just given that its mostly HOA type communities. While we are not looking for a 4000 sq ft home or a horse farm , I think there will be homes that will fit the bill given what you said.. I realize places like Rio Vista and Parkland are completely different kinds of communities. RV is really what I love and more like the area we will be leaving, so that makes me feel comfortable. However, at 'home' we live 2 blocks from school, our kids friends are all within biking distance etc, so its more of that family feel you ascribe to Weston.

When we do move it will be pretty fast and furious and it may run into next school year so I REALLY want to get them into the school they will be attending permanently regardless whre we temporarily rent.

Anyone have any ideas of average home prices in these Parkland areas you describe? Ideally I'd like to pay no more than 600 for a 3-4 bedroom, pool a must but that seems pretty standard in FL! Something in the 500s would be ideal as I'd still be able to go private if we chose that way. Older is almost better and yes, I know about Chinese drywall and to be on the lookout for that!!

Thanks again for anyones input. We are just trying to crunch numbers and get an idea of cost of living in some areas before my shusband gives a definative 'yes' to the relocation.

thx
The non-gated community in Parkland in the 500-600 price range is Pine Tree Estates. These are homes built on one-acre lots, some were built in the 70s and some in the past 10 years. These homes are on well water and septic systems. You may want to read this article to give you more insight into Parkland where I've lived since 1987 Moderator cut: realtor link

Last edited by Keeper; 01-10-2012 at 05:18 AM..

Old 11-16-2011, 10:28 AM

22 posts, read 46,669 times
Check out Plantation Acres - the area between Sunrise and Broward Blvds, Flamingo to Hiatus Roads. 5-10 minute commute to Sunrise, nice area, good schools including private options like American Heritage nearby. Zoned for horses too if your kids are into that. Good sports / activities programs.

Old 11-16-2011, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanna_run_faster View Post
Check out Plantation Acres - the area between Sunrise and Broward Blvds, Flamingo to Hiatus Roads. 5-10 minute commute to Sunrise, nice area, good schools including private options like American Heritage nearby. Zoned for horses too if your kids are into that. Good sports / activities programs.
I live in Plantation Acres. It is really nice here but the middle/high schools are not great. Most people have kids in private HS. I love living here.

Old 11-16-2011, 11:22 AM

22 posts, read 46,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Momma_bear View Post
I live in Plantation Acres. It is really nice here but the middle/high schools are not great. Most people have kids in private HS. I love living here.
It is a beautiful area -- beautiful homes and nice people!

Central Park Elementary is an A rated school. Plantation Middle and High are B rated schools. Not sure about Seminole and South Plantation...think they might be C's? And if you're lucky enough to get in, the Nova Schools are always an option - A's all the way and can personally vouch for the quality there :}.

Old 11-16-2011, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanna_run_faster View Post
It is a beautiful area -- beautiful homes and nice people!

Central Park Elementary is an A rated school. Plantation Middle and High are B rated schools. Not sure about Seminole and South Plantation...think they might be C's? And if you're lucky enough to get in, the Nova Schools are always an option - A's all the way and can personally vouch for the quality there :}.
Letter grades mean nothing. We are zoned for Plantation Middle/High. If I ran out of money for tuition I would homeschool my kids. Plantation Middle/High are not good schools and I would not send my own children there. I like living here but when I recommend it to others it is only fair to mention the public schools.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area