U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area
 [Register]
Fort Lauderdale area Broward County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-06-2011, 03:16 AM

3 posts, read 32,334 times

Advertisements

I plan on coming down to check out the area first. I'm mid twenties and I want to come down and get a condo. Don't want to spend more then 200k but I've found some on las olas which from reading this forum I found out is pretty popular area. I primarily want a place that is very close to a varity of drinking establishments and clubs.

I like upscale places but I love dives more. It should also be close to anyplace where I can walk for food possibly 24/7.

Is there a specific area either right on Las Olas or someplace else near by that I should look at. I basically want to be right upstairs from a bar and be able to pub crawl to a bunch of other bars. I wouldn't mind heavy traffic in the morning.

According to citydata it says that a majority of the population is young men, is that accurate or does the gay population even out the single guy to single girl ratio? Is it seasonal where it's fun sometimes but dead during other seasons?

Lastly if there a list of awesome dive bars, clubs, and regular bars I should check out let me know maybe I'll check them out find my favorites and move in between all of them.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2011, 03:24 AM

The graph I was talking about the age of men vs women is here //www.city-data.com/zips/33301.html

Old 04-06-2011, 09:01 AM

729 posts, read 1,121,701 times
Ibbys I think you like or tend to complicate yourself before walking accross the bridge. Just come to Fort Lauderdale and adventure yourself to go anywhere. We are plenty here of excellent places to spare time and have fun. Las Olas Boulevard, Ocean Boulevard, Downtown Fort Lauderdale, Wilton Manors, East Sunrise Boulevard, East Oakland Boulevard amongst others are plenty of places and night life. Have fun!!!!

Old 04-06-2011, 12:08 PM

1,322 posts, read 3,835,226 times
doesnt hollywood have a good amound of dive bars?

Old 04-06-2011, 01:40 PM

Yea i'm deff coming down first basically I plan on making up my own opinion but I figured I'd ask some questions too this way I can weight in long term experience Vs my first impressions.

Old 04-07-2011, 02:03 PM

1,322 posts, read 3,835,226 times
blondies on the beach is kind of dive-ish. but not on las olas. not far from las olas either. good drink specials.

Old 04-09-2011, 04:30 PM

3,913 posts, read 8,382,637 times
Ibby's-

I can help you with bars/clubs.

There is an area called Riverfront (formerly Himmarshee) located off Las Olas where there is a cluster of bars mainly for the 20's crowd. It is situated on Las Olas Blvd 1 block west of Andrews Avenue and extends along SW 2nd Street several blocks across the railroad tracks towards the Museum of Discovery and Science. There are about 20 bars/clubs in that little section that you'll like.

I'll try and break them down for you-

1. America's Backyard- (also called Revolution) is the biggest/best one, but charges a cover on a Fri/Sat night typically. It is mainly outdoors with two levels and has a large stage/dance floor. It also has the inside part called Revolution.

2. SHO- (formerly Automatic Slims) is more clubbish, and has an upstairs/downstairs with multiple rooms.

3. Living Room- is a club with multiple rooms with different music themes. It has a gay-night (either Fri or Sat) I forget which night. If you are straight, I would recommend figuring which night is the regular night before going. I made that mistake once lol.

4. Off The Hookah- a hookah bar set up like a nice lounge with a dance floor.

5. Side Bar- two-story dive bar

6. Brick- cheap drinks from 9PM till midnight

7. Dicey Riley's- more of an 80's rock and 90's alternative bar

8. Tarpon Bend- frat central. Lots of ex-greeks from various colleges gravitate here.

9. Capones- bar/club with multiple rooms and free cover

10. Fat Cats- a cheap dive bar with a punk rockish feel and usually has live bands playing

11. Art Bar- predominantly blacks go here, and is set up like a small club.

12. Voodoo Lounge

13. Cyote Ugly- (called something else now)

14. Martis Gras Bar

There are some others that I forget the names. There's a Latin bar, a Fat Tuesday's-like bar, and a few others scattered around the area.

Now, the downtown area is growing and has some good newer bars such as Yolo and Vibe. I would strongly recommend you check those out as well. You can live pretty much anywhere in Las Olas and walk to all of the bars.

As for the large male populations, there is a community called Wilton Manors just north of downtown that is one of the largest gay communities in America. That may explain that statistic you mentioned. But I have always found the Las Olas neighborhood to have a good mix of male/female.

Old 04-09-2011, 06:23 PM

264 posts, read 681,562 times
the only thing about las olas is that people dont know how to share the sidewalk

Last edited by cfo.evo; 04-09-2011 at 06:32 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area