U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area
 [Register]
Fort Lauderdale area Broward County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2011, 05:09 AM

911 posts, read 1,532,273 times

Advertisements

I find the demarcation line from completely insane to noticeably less crazy is just past the Hollywood exit on i95. Hollywood is too Miami-ized imo, and it's only until you get to Dania you can feel any difference. By the time you're in Fort Lauderdale you're in a friendlier world by comparison to Miami.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2011, 01:51 PM

180 posts, read 367,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doolish1 View Post
I don't know what friendly means, but the nicest and most central city is probably Lighthouse Point, Fl.
Yea but, Lighthouse Point is only but that big.
There's friendliness in:
Lauderdalle
Coral Springs
Plantation(past Central Park)
Weston
Pembroke Pines

Everything else sucks.

Old 05-02-2011, 07:01 PM

38 posts, read 92,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blue_haze View Post
People don't move to south Florida for hospitality just the weather
LOL!! I have to agree with that!! Isn't it the truth, so it seems.

Old 05-02-2011, 07:09 PM

38 posts, read 92,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tr00th View Post
It's not a Florida thing, it's a South Florida thing. I've been to North and West FL and been treated very nice by the locals. It's only down here I get all the attitude and it's mainly due to people who move here from larger cities who move here with their "street" attitude that is needed in a larger city, and it comes off as rude. Then you got people who aren't from here, who don't know our ways and they don't say thank you, or hello because they may not understand, or care. Then like all cities, you got the people who just honestly don't care.

I've been here for 20 years, when I was a kid it was better then this, people for the most part where nice. Now, I do see alot more rude people. They don't say thank you when you hold the door, they don't help you in the street when you ask, they just cut in traffic without any warning. It's annoying for the most part, but some of us are still nice, it's just becoming very hard to find these nice people.

Welcome to Paradise.
I absolutely agree with this. Seems that when we travel just a few hours north of here it's like a different world. We travel to Melbourne a lot and it just amazes me how much nicer and friendlier people are, in person, on the roads. This poster definitely has it right, people move here and bring their "attitude" or "culture" from wherever they came from and it's usually RUDE, why can't people just be nice...makes life so much LESS stressful, don't we have enough stress from everyday stuff, just driving on the roads around here can give you a heart attack.

Old 05-04-2011, 08:03 PM

2 posts, read 4,192 times
It is bad down here in south florida. I think West Pembroke pines is really bad when it comes to rude people. I worked out in west pines and i can say they are awfull. Nobody ever smiles and if you smile sometimes people are like what are you smiling for. I will eventually relocate out of here. I would like to find a friendly positive type of city. I dont think that exist in south florida.

Old 05-05-2011, 06:38 AM

228 posts, read 671,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwfla422 View Post
I absolutely agree with this. Seems that when we travel just a few hours north of here it's like a different world. We travel to Melbourne a lot and it just amazes me how much nicer and friendlier people are, in person, on the roads. This poster definitely has it right, people move here and bring their "attitude" or "culture" from wherever they came from and it's usually RUDE, why can't people just be nice...makes life so much LESS stressful, don't we have enough stress from everyday stuff, just driving on the roads around here can give you a heart attack.
Yeah, you can find alot of "nice" people if you just drive an hour North and West of the metros. I don't know if it's the small town charm of those smaller cities in the North and West parts of FL.

But I've always call FL a "backwards" state (for more then one reason ). South FL is FAR removed from being called "The South", its more Caribbean/Latin then "ol South" and North FL is more "ol South" despite being in the North. North FL is the real Southern Part of FL, and Southern FL is more like NY mixed with Puerto Rico, Cuban, South and Central American, and all the islands put into a giant blender and just poured over the land here. It's wonderful that this part of the country is IMO more mixed then even NY. But with different cultures, manners, customs and attitudes come together to live in the same metros of Palm Beach, Broward and Miami, of course some people are going to be offended by rudeness.

Like I said, Welcome To Paradise.

Old 05-05-2011, 06:18 PM

83 posts, read 287,490 times
Quote:
Yeah, you can find alot of "nice" people if you just drive an hour North and West of the metros. I don't know if it's the small town charm of those smaller cities in the North and West parts of FL.

But I've always call FL a "backwards" state (for more then one reason ). South FL is FAR removed from being called "The South", its more Caribbean/Latin then "ol South" and North FL is more "ol South" despite being in the North. North FL is the real Southern Part of FL, and Southern FL is more like NY mixed with Puerto Rico, Cuban, South and Central American, and all the islands put into a giant blender and just poured over the land here. It's wonderful that this part of the country is IMO more mixed then even NY. But with different cultures, manners, customs and attitudes come together to live in the same metros of Palm Beach, Broward and Miami, of course some people are going to be offended by rudeness.

I agree that cultural and educational differences help explain why people are cold and rude here. People from certain cultures and countries don't like to greet and smile at strangers. Coming from the midwest I had a difficult time adjusting to this, particularly when some of my neighbors ignored my smile. I like to label this phenomenon as a "South FL Syndrome" particularly in Miami-Dade and Broward Counties. I haven't experienced this kind of rudeness in any other U.S. regions that I've been to. Strange enough I began to get used to it and sometimes I become rude too - a perfect defensive/protective adaptation to the environment.

Old 05-12-2012, 01:48 PM

367 posts, read 805,603 times
Quote:

South FL isn't the Caribbean nor "LATAM", it just has remnants of those regions, same way it has remnants of the Old South. It's part of the US very much so. I'm a Miami native whose family is from the Caribbean and South America and going back to the Caribbean and South America, the culture and people are very much different.

You people who don't know Jamaica might think Lauderhill and Lauderdale Lakes is Jamaican but it's nothing like Jamaica, it just has remnants present.

Old 05-18-2012, 07:10 AM

1 posts, read 2,135 times
Default Boca Smirk

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhatUpFLA View Post
I currently reside in Boca Raton. I think that Boca is an absolutely beautiful city. I love living here. The only thing I don't like about Boca is the rudeness and unfriendliness that a person living and working here will encounter in this city on a daily basis. Everyone on this forum knows that there are many people from the Northeast who have relocated to Boca Raton and in so doing, have brought with them bad habits. I am originally from the Northeast, but I am overwhelmingly polite and courteous to strangers and I would consider myself a very hospitable, approachable person...unlike many others from the Northeast. Are there any cities in South Florida that have a more 'southern' feel to them than let's say Boca Raton? Are there any cities in this metro area where one is able to find some southern hospitality that one may find in let's say Tennessee or South Carolina?
Hello, I agree with you 100percent. Boca people are very unfriendly. Lots of New yorkers who have been rated most unfriendly in US. In time you will meet nice people here. We have best parks here which I enjoy. My wife and I say when people are rude, especially in driving , we say they give us the Boca Smirk.
We have found a Publix which is the most rude people near federal. We call it the Boca Smirk publix. Well , you have to take the good with the bad. The friendy people come from mid west and they reside more on west coast. The west coast of Fla has better sand beaches, but the south east florida has prettier water and most important the gulf stream that gives us cooler breezes in summer and warmer breezes in winter. Well we just have to do acts of kindness whenever we can in Boca.

Old 05-18-2012, 07:31 AM

23,323 posts, read 26,258,393 times
Through the years visiting family in Florida, it feels as if everything south of Orlando has been de-southernized especially near the I95 corridor. I find it a little better west of the I75 corridor and north of Orlando.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or