U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area
 [Register]
Fort Lauderdale area Broward County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2012, 11:39 AM

74 posts, read 118,195 times

Advertisements

South Florida really gets an unfair rap in being so unfriendly.First of all,I doubt people in any large metropolitan area are "friendly" anymore.I came from an area that was noted for oozing southern hospitality,but in reality,if you were not from the area,forget it,people would not accept you at all.People do seem to be a little bit nastier and backstabbing in the workplace,but I believe that is understandably based on job insecurity.Friendly people are down here as well as some unfriendly ones,but you, as a couple of posters have have pointed out have to get out there and be active in finding them.Most people here are transient so why is it that some of them have met close friends and others haven't? Has to be a level of effort.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2012, 12:34 PM

3,913 posts, read 8,385,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loras1 View Post
South Florida really gets an unfair rap in being so unfriendly.First of all,I doubt people in any large metropolitan area are "friendly" anymore.I came from an area that was noted for oozing southern hospitality,but in reality,if you were not from the area,forget it,people would not accept you at all.People do seem to be a little bit nastier and backstabbing in the workplace,but I believe that is understandably based on job insecurity.Friendly people are down here as well as some unfriendly ones,but you, as a couple of posters have have pointed out have to get out there and be active in finding them.Most people here are transient so why is it that some of them have met close friends and others haven't? Has to be a level of effort.
I don't agree with you. I have traveled all parts of the country and people are much friendly in most places. If you've ever traveled to the Midwest, Southern cities, and west coast cities, there is a huge difference in how people behave. The Northeastern cities are the only ones comparable to South FL.

It has become so bad that you have to act the same way to survive here. Or else you'll be taken advantage of. When people approach you in public they usually want something from you. They usually want money or to sell you something. I get approached almost daily around Fort Lauderdale by bums begging for change, people handing me flyers, or some guy pestering me at the gas station to buy his latest rap cd.

I think driving on the roads here tells you all you need to know. When you're on 95 and you get cut off millimeters from your bumper and are forced to go off-road or slam on your brakes, and it happens repeatedly almost daily, that tells you something. When someone's always riding your tail always even when you're doing 90 mph, you have a problem. When a guy is in the HOV lane and suddenly jerks his steering wheel right and goes sideways in front of you cutting across 5 lanes and jumps off-road to make an exit ramp, you know you have problems.

Old 05-20-2012, 04:59 PM

490 posts, read 955,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nolefan34 View Post
I don't agree with you. I have traveled all parts of the country and people are much friendly in most places. If you've ever traveled to the Midwest, Southern cities, and west coast cities, there is a huge difference in how people behave. The Northeastern cities are the only ones comparable to South FL.

It has become so bad that you have to act the same way to survive here. Or else you'll be taken advantage of. When people approach you in public they usually want something from you. They usually want money or to sell you something. I get approached almost daily around Fort Lauderdale by bums begging for change, people handing me flyers, or some guy pestering me at the gas station to buy his latest rap cd.

I think driving on the roads here tells you all you need to know. When you're on 95 and you get cut off millimeters from your bumper and are forced to go off-road or slam on your brakes, and it happens repeatedly almost daily, that tells you something. When someone's always riding your tail always even when you're doing 90 mph, you have a problem. When a guy is in the HOV lane and suddenly jerks his steering wheel right and goes sideways in front of you cutting across 5 lanes and jumps off-road to make an exit ramp, you know you have problems.
I couldn't agree more. In order to survive in South Florida, you must behave like everyone else. It's unfortunate that you must stoop to the level of these people just to get through each and every day, but you gotta do what you gotta do.

Old 05-20-2012, 05:01 PM

6,616 posts, read 12,301,819 times
Venice was nice in my opinion.

Old 11-24-2012, 06:02 PM

5,778 posts, read 13,048,720 times
Up here in Orlando it is completely different. We have our share of unfriendly people but some will smile, wave, or say hello as you pass by. I usually do.

Also up here in Central Florida, usually if you say hello to somebody, you'll get a hello back and sometimes a hello with a smile as well

Old 11-25-2012, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavieJ89 View Post
Up here in Orlando it is completely different. We have our share of unfriendly people but some will smile, wave, or say hello as you pass by. I usually do.

Also up here in Central Florida, usually if you say hello to somebody, you'll get a hello back and sometimes a hello with a smile as well
That's good to know. I did not know that about the people in Central Florida. I always thought the people up there were only slightly better than the people down here in South Florida. I suppose I wouldn't have known that because I'm nothing more than a tourist every time I visit Orlando...

Central Florida seems much more family-friendly than South Florida, as does Tampa Bay. In my opinion, Tampa Bay seems friendlier than Central Florida. What do you think?

Old 11-25-2012, 07:35 PM

Orlando has a better QOL than Tampa for sure

Old 11-25-2012, 09:41 PM

Quote:
Orlando has a better QOL than Tampa for sure
Would you mind elaborating, please?

Old 11-26-2012, 03:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhatUpFLA View Post
Would you mind elaborating, please?
Absolutely. First off, homes in Orlando are cheaper than Tampa. People in Orlando also make more money, although commute times are slightly longer in Orlando than Tampa so I guess Tampa wins when it comes to traffic congestion

Compare Orlando vs Tampa - Which Place is Better? - Zillow

Old 11-26-2012, 04:02 PM

Quote:
Absolutely. First off, homes in Orlando are cheaper than Tampa. People in Orlando also make more money, although commute times are slightly longer in Orlando than Tampa so I guess Tampa wins when it comes to traffic congestion

Compare Orlando vs Tampa - Which Place is Better? - Zillow
Thank you for your response, as it is greatly appreciated. I feel as though Central Florida is more family-friendly than South Florida, especially the Greater Orlando area. My opinion is largely based off of the fact that there are more theme parks and family-friendly attractions in Orlando than Tampa, though Tampa is not that far behind in this department.

The Orlando area, for some reason or another, has better air quality than the Tampa Bay area. I would have thought the opposite, seeing as how Tampa is a coastal city whereas Orlando is located much farther inland than Tampa. In fact, the Tampa Bay area has the worst air quality of any metropolitan area in Florida. But that's not saying much, though, seeing as how Florida metro areas seem to consistently lead the nation in having the best air quality. However, I would have thought that the sea breezes from Tampa Bay and the Gulf of Mexico would help give Tampa better air quality...

I'm assuming that the cost of living, as well as the cost of housing, is greater in Tampa than Orlando because Tampa is a larger, slightly more cosmopolitan city and has a more diverse economy. Tampa definitely seems grittier than Orlando, though. But then again, that's not saying much either. This is Florida after all, not Upstate New York or Michigan.

Orlando is probably better situated than Tampa within the state. Residents of Orlando have fairly easy access to both the Atlantic coast and the Gulf coast, as well as easier access to Interstate 95. That translate to easier access to South Florida and to all points north on the East Coast. To some like myself, seeing as how I'm originally from the Northeast and currently living in South Florida, easier access to I-95 would be appreciated more so than easier access to I-75. Although I enjoy having the beach so close to my home down here in South Florida, I'm so busy most of the time that I don't have much time to enjoy it. My weekends are usually filled with errands and engagements, so I only really have time to go to the beach if I have a long weekend from work. My point is that it wouldn't bother me at all to live farther inland, in the event I decided to relocate to Orlando.

I did not realize that wages and salaries were higher in Orlando than in Tampa. That's news to me. I thought they were about the same in both cities. Interesting...

How do property taxes and homeowner's insurance compare in Orange and Seminole Counties vs. Hillsborough County?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or