Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area
 [Register]
Fort Lauderdale area Broward County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2011, 04:33 PM

490 posts, read 1,097,463 times

Advertisements

I currently reside in Boca Raton. I think that Boca is an absolutely beautiful city. I love living here. The only thing I don't like about Boca is the rudeness and unfriendliness that a person living and working here will encounter in this city on a daily basis. Everyone on this forum knows that there are many people from the Northeast who have relocated to Boca Raton and in so doing, have brought with them bad habits. I am originally from the Northeast, but I am overwhelmingly polite and courteous to strangers and I would consider myself a very hospitable, approachable person...unlike many others from the Northeast. Are there any cities in South Florida that have a more 'southern' feel to them than let's say Boca Raton? Are there any cities in this metro area where one is able to find some southern hospitality that one may find in let's say Tennessee or South Carolina?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2011, 05:37 PM

24 posts, read 103,456 times
Default re: rude & unfriendly

I have a winter home in Jupiter,Fla and it is the same up here. I call Fla the land of the robots. You go in any retail store and no one talks or looks you in the eye. I am from the Midwest and it just blows me away. Matter of fact I am so fed up with it I rented my home in Fla and I have been going to Costa Rica for several years.
In CR families are holding hands and smiling. Anyway, I have met some nice people in Fla,but for the most part everyone stays to themselves.

Old 04-08-2011, 05:44 PM

490 posts, read 1,097,463 times
bugbox,

I'm originially from Rhode Island. Nobody in Rhode Island talks to you in a retail store or restaurant. Rhode Islanders ascribe to the belief that if someone approaches you in a store or a restaurant or wherever, they want something from you or they're from out of town and need directions. I absolutely hate that mentality and how people walk around like robots. It's the same up there as it is down here: people walk around looking straight ahead and no one looks in the eye. Even people you know will completely ignore you. It's happened so many times, so unfortunately I'm very used to that type of behavior. I'm not saying that I condone this type of behavior; I think it's dreadful. That is the reason why I don't act like that and moved south in hope of moving to a community that was more hospitable, polite, and friendly. Apparently, I've moved too far south.

Old 04-08-2011, 08:39 PM

2,602 posts, read 8,300,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bugbox View Post
I call Fla the land of the robots. You go in any retail store and no one talks or looks you in the eye. I am from the Midwest and it just blows me away.
Please. This isn't a Florida thing. Do you really expect minimum-wage Joe Employee with a more or less Mickey Mouse job to be bubbling, smiling, and chatting down every customer in a store? You wouldn't believe how awful a lot of customers are, whether it be retail, food, or whatever.

That said, some companies have a very, very strong culture; Publix and Chick-fil-A come to mind, for example. Teenage clerks at those places often outshine managers at places like McDonald's or Walmart.

Old 04-08-2011, 09:08 PM

16 posts, read 54,468 times
Cool Hey, whatupFLA

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhatUpFLA View Post
I currently reside in Boca Raton. I think that Boca is an absolutely beautiful city. I love living here. The only thing I don't like about Boca is the rudeness and unfriendliness that a person living and working here will encounter in this city on a daily basis. Everyone on this forum knows that there are many people from the Northeast who have relocated to Boca Raton and in so doing, have brought with them bad habits. I am originally from the Northeast, but I am overwhelmingly polite and courteous to strangers and I would consider myself a very hospitable, approachable person...unlike many others from the Northeast. Are there any cities in South Florida that have a more 'southern' feel to them than let's say Boca Raton? Are there any cities in this metro area where one is able to find some southern hospitality that one may find in let's say Tennessee or South Carolina?
This is something I am looking for as well. As a resident of Miami Dade for over 40 years I hate to say you will encounter a large amount of that demeanor in most places here. Not all, but it seems to be the pervasive feel.
I know it now very well since traveling out west in other states like in Oregon where people actually smile at you in the street and say 'hi' and they don't even know you! I was shocked.... But then I thought, "Well, that's the way it should be!"
I have been wanting to move to Broward for the change and to find a smaller friendlier sub-division where you get a bit of that small town feel, but I still want a lot of cultural and shopping options also. I hear that Broward is not far different than Dade, though. I know exactly what you mean, however. I am just not sure where you will find that 'southern hospitality' in South FLA these days... Not to say there isn't hope, though! The area still has a lot to offer. You just have to take the good with the bad in all places.
Good luck in your search.

Old 04-09-2011, 06:30 AM

40 posts, read 79,834 times
I have had a different experience in Jupiter. Everyone here has been very friendly and outgoing. With the exception of one or two people (and honestly I think that is because I have noisy kids) we have felt very welcomed every place we have gone.

Old 04-09-2011, 06:35 AM

9,319 posts, read 16,655,876 times
Default Lacking Social Skills

I don't think your area is alone; all towns, states are experiencing it. IMPO I think it is the result of lack of social skills due to email/internet/texting/facebook, etc. People no long have face to face conversations, just some meaningless dribble by communicating electronically. I have seen people sitting across from each other in a restaurant, both texting, without speaking to each other. Sad to think future generations will be socially inept.

Old 04-09-2011, 11:14 AM

52 posts, read 173,548 times
People don't move to south Florida for hospitality just the weather

Old 04-10-2011, 12:01 PM

7,937 posts, read 20,370,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhatUpFLA View Post
bugbox,

I'm originially from Rhode Island. Nobody in Rhode Island talks to you in a retail store or restaurant. Rhode Islanders ascribe to the belief that if someone approaches you in a store or a restaurant or wherever, they want something from you or they're from out of town and need directions. I absolutely hate that mentality and how people walk around like robots. It's the same up there as it is down here: people walk around looking straight ahead and no one looks in the eye. Even people you know will completely ignore you. It's happened so many times, so unfortunately I'm very used to that type of behavior. I'm not saying that I condone this type of behavior; I think it's dreadful. That is the reason why I don't act like that and moved south in hope of moving to a community that was more hospitable, polite, and friendly. Apparently, I've moved too far south.
thats too bad that you feel that way about Boca...we are here 2 years NYC born and raised natives and all our friends are extremely nice and friendly...We have met so many nice people compared to where we moved from DH and I were very surprised...With that we looked at other areas I wont mention which ones and well they were a little rude as well and also very populated from Northeast...Funny because there are rude people Everywhere...Sorry I know off topic but we chose boca because it suits us..People are no more rude here than anywhere else we lived except for Colorado where most people were very nice...But we have a family, and If you dont then I can see why you might feel that way...

Old 04-10-2011, 12:03 PM

7,937 posts, read 20,370,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellwood View Post
I don't think your area is alone; all towns, states are experiencing it. IMPO I think it is the result of lack of social skills due to email/internet/texting/facebook, etc. People no long have face to face conversations, just some meaningless dribble by communicating electronically. I have seen people sitting across from each other in a restaurant, both texting, without speaking to each other. Sad to think future generations will be socially inept.
I totally agree with you on that one..Trust me its not just Florida...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area