U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area
 [Register]
Fort Lauderdale area Broward County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-18-2011, 08:03 PM

12 posts, read 38,267 times

Advertisements

Okay, so, after the Japanese tsunami crisis, I've been thinking a little about similar disaster scenarios in the SF region (I'm in the general Lauderdale area).

There's that pesky volcano in the Canary Islands that, if it erupts, could (worst case scenario) create a tidal wave that would hit the region with 100-200 feet of water. Within six hours of the volcanic event, if the mountainside plunges into the ocean. Yeah.

Not trying to frighten anyone here, but here's a link if interested:

Cumbre Vieja - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

So, my question is this: what is the warning system here in South Florida? Are there sirens that will go off in a hurricane/tsunami type event? I've already invested in an emergency radio - the type that will stay silent all the time, unless there's an advisory, then an alarm goes off. I have been putting my phone ringer on silent every evening when I go to sleep (to avoid being woken at night or too early in the morning), and therefore nobody could reach me to warn me if an event like this happened - and I often sleep for longer than the six hours it would take for such a tidal wave to hit.

So, assuming I'm not at home near my radio, or it's off, or whatever - worst-case scenario and all - is there an audible warning system here? I've never seen civil defense speakers on telephone poles here but I suppose they could be discreet. It seems like something that would HAVE to exist in a hurricane-prone area.

Is there anything like that down here?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2011, 09:59 AM

802 posts, read 1,292,874 times
There is no audible warning system here, i.e. no air raid sirens etc. Everybody relies on tv or radio for updates. You can get weather alerts texted to your phone. In the event of a hurricane, if you somehow missed the 24/7 news coverage, the lines out the door of Home Depot, Publix and Blockbuster Video plus at every gas station would be your next clue that something was amiss.

Assuming that we did receive a tsunami warning, what exactly would your plan be?

Old 04-19-2011, 10:50 AM

392 posts, read 1,148,211 times
For a Hurricane... you first go through a Hurricane Watch..... that is broadcast over the TV, radio and overhead roadsigns 48 hours in advance. If it is upgraded to a Hurricane Warning...... you're notified the same way, 36 hours in advance..... So you have MORE than enough time to respond to a Hurricane approaching......

Regarding sirens..... If you live within 10 miles of the Turkey Point Nuclear plant in South Miami-Dade county, there are warning sirens that would go off in the event of a nuclear disaster.... These sirens are tested on a quartely basis.

You stated you put your phone on silent at night....... Thats fine.... Your weather radio would go off and wake you up......

During the day, you could register your phone to receive emergency text messages in the event of a pending emergency or disaster....

Old 04-19-2011, 12:56 PM

Thanks for the answers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragonmam View Post
There is no audible warning system here, i.e. no air raid sirens etc. Everybody relies on tv or radio for updates. You can get weather alerts texted to your phone. In the event of a hurricane, if you somehow missed the 24/7 news coverage, the lines out the door of Home Depot, Publix and Blockbuster Video plus at every gas station would be your next clue that something was amiss.
Yeah, not too worried about a hurricane scenario. It was the volcanic-rock-plunging-into-the-ocean scenario, which would send a tidal wave that would impact here in six hours that got me thinking. I put my phone on silent when I go to bed at night, and sleep for longer hours than that. Looks like the emergency radio will fit the bill.

Quote:
Assuming that we did receive a tsunami warning, what exactly would your plan be?
Evacuate as quickly as possible, I guess. Hearing about the people in Japan that didn't get warning in time was pretty horrifying. Like most, I had previously only considered hurricanes. I'm only 2000 feet from the beach, so I would need all the warning I can get in the event of a tsunami. In the unlikely event that it does happen, I'd rather not be one of the bodies littering the shore.

Old 04-20-2011, 04:53 AM

13 posts, read 50,302 times
Consideing how flat the terrain here in S Florida is, there would be no escaping a tsunami,it would likely wash broward and dade county out to the middle of the glades if not into the gulf of mexico and with there essentially being one road in and one out 95, evacuation would be impossible.
Best plan is to head to the roof of the highest building around, but if the wave hits 200 ft, there are not many 20 plus story bldgs here to climb and the notice would only be minutes.Tsunamis travel fast,the one off japan moved 500 mph over the ocean, since were what 200 miles from the volcano, we would be lucky to have a 20 min notice.
That was a concern with the quake off hati.

Old 04-20-2011, 03:57 PM

It's a lot further than 200 miles... it's actually off the coast of Africa. It would take about six hours for the wave to hit the east coast. I read that if the wave hit at that magnitude, it would reach about 16 miles or so inshore, so I-75 would be the best escape route. 95 follows the coast, so it's not in itself an escape route - such a wave would hit the ENTIRE east coast. Kinda makes me wish I-75 was ten lanes wide in the westbound direction... :-/

Note that this is all 'worst case scenario' stuff. The volcano may never landslide, or it may happen slowly and never create a tidal wave, or create one small enough that it's not such a disaster. Plus, there would be some warning when the volcano started erupting, and people would be watching it closely. Still, it COULD happen, and that's pretty darn terrifying. In that event, I'd like all the warning I could get.

Old 04-20-2011, 09:36 PM

38 posts, read 92,569 times
...and we're worried about hurricanes...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area