Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area
 [Register]
Fort Lauderdale area Broward County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2011, 09:49 PM

2,975 posts, read 4,940,440 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruski View Post
Weston is always good.
If you've got kids and dogs. Hehehe...No offense, just depends on your needs, but I think OP would be bored out of his mind in Weston (as would I ).

OP: There are plenty of condos at Hollywood beach, but there's really nothing there but the beach and the boardwalk (restaurants, bars, tourist shops). Seems like you'd be going to the mainland for practically everything. The downtown and Young Circle areas would be better (if a bit rough on the edges), and there are some new condos there that look nice. Downtown Hollywood is not walkable to the tri-rail, but near the tri-rail station (Hollywood Hills, I think) there are also some duplexes and apartments/condos. BTW the Russian markets are down on Federal Highway/US1 south of downtown, seems like lots of older/smaller homes around there. There's a sports bar around there that you always see a dozen motorcycles parked in front of, you see some interesting characters around there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2011, 01:09 PM

16 posts, read 54,499 times
HurricaneMan1992, ~ and anyone else here who would know ~
Considering Aventura, can you recommend a good area with close proximity to the Whole Foods and shopping? I am looking for similar things as the OP, but in a condo or apt for a single lady...
I have driven around the Aventura Mall area which is very nice, but I'm not familiar with the other possibilities around there. I'm a little young for the senior buildings, but not against mingling! I'd like to meet people 50's +
Any suggestions? Thanks!

Old 04-30-2011, 09:16 PM

177 posts, read 405,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SlowBurn View Post
Yeah, had a feeling that was the case...

But I have to make do with what's here and now, and the fact is, I'll be stuck here for the next how many years. I'm willing to settle for as close as I can get. I actually do not mind latin culture at all, I'm quite fascinated by it, as a matter of fact. It's just that I would prefer not to be 100% surrounded. A little caribbean, middle eastern, anglo, asian, etc thrown in would be nice, even if it's not in quantitatively large numbers. And I'm not talking about the food!

I know that no part of South Florida will have cities comparable to chicago or new york or san francisco. I guess what I'm asking for is this: I don't expection perfection or the ultimate idealized community. I don't expect to fufill 100% of my expectations, not even close. I'm simply looking for a neighborhood/community that may be able to offer in the ballpark of what I'm looking for.

I've heard promising news of Pembroke Pines. Some people say it's the most urban and diverse of the Broward areas. Any thoughts on this?
Miramar, Pembroke Pines, Lauderhill, North Lauderdale, Coral Springs, and Ft. Lauderdale are the most diverse in my opinion. But, since you work in Miami I'll go with Pembroke Pines/Miramar area. Rent for a 1 bed usually runs $950-$1100. Check out The Landings at Pembroke Lakes, Miramar Lakes, and The Resort at Pembroke Pines.

Last edited by GucciDiva; 04-30-2011 at 09:27 PM..

Old 04-30-2011, 09:54 PM

2,975 posts, read 4,940,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrulyJaicee View Post
HurricaneMan1992, ~ and anyone else here who would know ~
Considering Aventura, can you recommend a good area with close proximity to the Whole Foods and shopping? I am looking for similar things as the OP, but in a condo or apt for a single lady...
I have driven around the Aventura Mall area which is very nice, but I'm not familiar with the other possibilities around there. I'm a little young for the senior buildings, but not against mingling! I'd like to meet people 50's +
Any suggestions? Thanks!

Pretty much anything in Aventura is within 15 minutes (driving) of all shopping, including Whole Foods. The closest development to the strip mall with Whole Foods (and the only walkable one) is unfortunately a gated community of $1M houses-Aventura Lakes. There are some gated townhouse developments further back by The Waterways mall (I don't like gated townhouse developments, though). For condos, there are plenty that are not senior buildings. I like the ones along Country Club Drives the best (because of the exercise trail), though the most of the ones closes to the Mall are 55+. There are also some buildings in the south part of the city (more quiet and peaceful) that are worth checking out: Del Prado, Commodore, Admiral's Port, Biscayne Cove. These are surrounding a lake and are walkable to many shops, including Fresh Market. The most urban/mixed use/walkable condo is The Venture, but it seems to be the most expensive for what you get as far as the apartment itself. Williams Island sometimes has rentals, they're about as exclusive as you can get. There are many others that I'm not familiar with: Mystic Pointe, Yacht Club, and a few by the Founder's Park. Oh, and Point East is an older crowd, but I'm pretty sure some buildings are not 55+.

Old 05-02-2011, 10:17 AM

16 posts, read 54,499 times
Default Thank You

Thanks for all the info, HurricaneMan! Certainly a lot to check out.
You sure know your stuff

Old 05-10-2011, 10:27 PM

7 posts, read 41,933 times
The Landings look nice, but seems like a rental community. I'm thinking more about buying this time around while the prices are reasonable. I don't mind buying a condo if the price/location is right, but I've been repeatedly told by my collmeagues at work to watch out for skyrocketing association fees. I've set my budget at around $200,000-250,000 for a house, won't even touch a condo if it's anywhere near that price!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GucciDiva View Post
Miramar, Pembroke Pines, Lauderhill, North Lauderdale, Coral Springs, and Ft. Lauderdale are the most diverse in my opinion. But, since you work in Miami I'll go with Pembroke Pines/Miramar area. Rent for a 1 bed usually runs $950-$1100. Check out The Landings at Pembroke Lakes, Miramar Lakes, and The Resort at Pembroke Pines.

Old 05-12-2011, 09:58 PM

27 posts, read 31,143 times
My friend lives in Brickell, Miami. Its a happening place! But not what your looking for. I do think Pembroke Pines might be what your looking for, however, its quite far from the beach and downtown areas with bars/clubs.

You mentioned your single; most of the single people I know live in Brickell, downtown Miami, SOBE, Las Olas and Downtown fort lauderdale. There is absolutely nothing to do in Coral Springs and Weston. There are some happening spots in Pembroke Pines, but certainly nothing like the downtown areas of miami and fort lauderdale.

Old 03-24-2013, 03:24 PM

1 posts, read 935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ruski View Post
got cliff notes?
Notice the username: slowburn.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area