U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area
 [Register]
Fort Lauderdale area Broward County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 04-20-2011, 10:59 PM
 
7 posts, read 37,512 times
Reputation: 20

Advertisements

Hi there. Originally from CA, so not that familiar with Miami nor Broward's neighborhoods. I have been here for 4 years, all of them in North Miami, and when my present lease agreement is up at the end of this year, I'm thinking about exploring other neighborhoods of Browad and Miami-Dade that suits my critierias.
I don't mind North Miami, it's rather actually quite awesome I think. I live east of US1 near Johnson Wales university, and the area is developing quite nicely. But now that I'm more established at my job and having been here a while, I thought I might become more adventurous and see what's out there.
Specifically, I am not looking for a vast, sprawling suburban-like atmosphere, where everybody locks themselves up in their own little 1 acre haven and keep to themselves. I'd much prefer more uban environments that will afford me the oppurtunity to people watch, walk to a store or grocery from time to time, basically not be living in an isolated castle. I'm single, don't have any children, don't fancy the idea of "impressing" anyone with my big house with 20 rooms stuffed inside a barricaded fortress.
But I don't want to live in crazy, noisy, disorganized atmosphere either. Perhaps a quiet street with a reasonably sized house that still has ready access to urban centers is more my thing.
If I were to go with a condo, I don't mind any neighborhoods sporting a Brooklyn/Queens style jibe, either.
When I first moved here from CA due to job, I was virtually clueless to the surrounding areas. Going strictly by Yahoo apt search, I was going to rent an apartment in Liberty City! Seriously, I learned a lot through the 4 years I've been here, but most of you have been here years longer, and would most likely have a better grasp of the "soul" of a neighborhood, you know what I mean? I don't want to hear real estate agent bull****, what I want to know is how does the neighorhood jibe?
Another requirement: I require diversity. Not intra-Latin diversity, although I am 110% for this too, but diversity meaning a little bit of white, black, yellow, green, you get? Let me stress this again, because diversity is HUGE to me. I grew up in a diverse environment, and for all intents and purposes, I would like to immerse myself in a similar one here as well. And please, I'll say it again: I'm not referring to INTRA-LATIN diversity!!!
Any other suggestions/comments, I'll gladly soak in. Thank you all in advance, I hope to learn so much from all of you.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 04-21-2011, 06:52 AM
 
Location: Weston, FL
4,278 posts, read 6,409,213 times
Reputation: 1516
got cliff notes?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-21-2011, 11:05 AM
 
7 posts, read 37,512 times
Reputation: 20
?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruski View Post
got cliff notes?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-21-2011, 12:05 PM
 
Location: Weston, FL
469 posts, read 1,211,963 times
Reputation: 214
I actually read the whole OP and sorry but it's not gonna happen in soflo. All the diversity in latin/south american. No urban-ness here. Even miami proper is not really urban (I'm thinking chicago urban as that's where I am from). Communities will not have that soul you are looking for unless you want to be immersed in everything latino.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-21-2011, 12:25 PM
 
7 posts, read 37,512 times
Reputation: 20
Yeah, had a feeling that was the case...

But I have to make do with what's here and now, and the fact is, I'll be stuck here for the next how many years. I'm willing to settle for as close as I can get. I actually do not mind latin culture at all, I'm quite fascinated by it, as a matter of fact. It's just that I would prefer not to be 100% surrounded. A little caribbean, middle eastern, anglo, asian, etc thrown in would be nice, even if it's not in quantitatively large numbers. And I'm not talking about the food!

I know that no part of South Florida will have cities comparable to chicago or new york or san francisco. I guess what I'm asking for is this: I don't expection perfection or the ultimate idealized community. I don't expect to fufill 100% of my expectations, not even close. I'm simply looking for a neighborhood/community that may be able to offer in the ballpark of what I'm looking for.

I've heard promising news of Pembroke Pines. Some people say it's the most urban and diverse of the Broward areas. Any thoughts on this?


Quote:
Originally Posted by namomof3 View Post
I actually read the whole OP and sorry but it's not gonna happen in soflo. All the diversity in latin/south american. No urban-ness here. Even miami proper is not really urban (I'm thinking chicago urban as that's where I am from). Communities will not have that soul you are looking for unless you want to be immersed in everything latino.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-21-2011, 12:43 PM
 
Location: Seattle, WA
2,975 posts, read 4,308,263 times
Reputation: 1214
^Not true!!! There are probably more Jews where I live than Latins, and more Haitians and Caribbean peoples than Latins in the surrounding neighborhoods. A short drive from where I live there are numerous asian markets and restaurants, Indian-owned convenience stores (North Miami Beach), Kosher supermarkets (discount and upscale), and Russian/eastern European markets (Hollywood/Hallandale) The eastern/downtown areas of Broward are also more diverse, also the beach areas. Miami Beach is probably the most urban and diverse area with character that you will find (downtown Miami itself is still very much latin, but is gradually getting more diverse), Las Olas riverfront and Wilton Manors are also areas I hear good things about. Warning though: the places where you'd most likely be able to afford a house are also most likely to be sprawl communities with only "intra-latin" diversity. that said, I have seen some small, affordable houses and duplexes near the "city center" part of North Miami Beach and also in Hollywood, and these may be your best bet, if you really want a house.

Last edited by hurricaneMan1992; 04-21-2011 at 12:52 PM..
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-22-2011, 06:31 PM
 
8,376 posts, read 28,564,071 times
Reputation: 2376
I agree with the above poster, northeast Dade probably has less of a Hispanic presence then even Broward does nowadays. Northeast Dade is more Haitian, Jewish, some anglos, even a few Asians mixed in there, with some Hispanics (mostly South American). Nearly anything east of US1 from the Dade/Broward County Line (Surfside, North/South Beach, Midtown, even Aventura or Sunny Isles but to a lesser extent) down to about Coconut Grove will meet the OP's criteria. Some areas in Hollywood may also be worth looking at.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-22-2011, 08:08 PM
 
7 posts, read 37,512 times
Reputation: 20
Default Hollywood sounds interesting now...

Interesting. What areas of Hollywood do you recommend? If it's affordable, I don't mind getting a condo near the water.

Quote:
Originally Posted by compelled to reply View Post
I agree with the above poster, northeast Dade probably has less of a Hispanic presence then even Broward does nowadays. Northeast Dade is more Haitian, Jewish, some anglos, even a few Asians mixed in there, with some Hispanics (mostly South American). Nearly anything east of US1 from the Dade/Broward County Line (Surfside, North/South Beach, Midtown, even Aventura or Sunny Isles but to a lesser extent) down to about Coconut Grove will meet the OP's criteria. Some areas in Hollywood may also be worth looking at.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-23-2011, 07:38 AM
 
2,113 posts, read 4,599,532 times
Reputation: 919
Quote:
Originally Posted by SlowBurn View Post
Hi there. Originally from CA, so not that familiar with Miami nor Broward's neighborhoods. I have been here for 4 years, all of them in North Miami, and when my present lease agreement is up at the end of this year, I'm thinking about exploring other neighborhoods of Browad and Miami-Dade that suits my critierias.
I don't mind North Miami, it's rather actually quite awesome I think. I live east of US1 near Johnson Wales university, and the area is developing quite nicely. But now that I'm more established at my job and having been here a while, I thought I might become more adventurous and see what's out there.
Specifically, I am not looking for a vast, sprawling suburban-like atmosphere, where everybody locks themselves up in their own little 1 acre haven and keep to themselves. I'd much prefer more uban environments that will afford me the oppurtunity to people watch, walk to a store or grocery from time to time, basically not be living in an isolated castle. I'm single, don't have any children, don't fancy the idea of "impressing" anyone with my big house with 20 rooms stuffed inside a barricaded fortress.
But I don't want to live in crazy, noisy, disorganized atmosphere either. Perhaps a quiet street with a reasonably sized house that still has ready access to urban centers is more my thing.
If I were to go with a condo, I don't mind any neighborhoods sporting a Brooklyn/Queens style jibe, either.
When I first moved here from CA due to job, I was virtually clueless to the surrounding areas. Going strictly by Yahoo apt search, I was going to rent an apartment in Liberty City! Seriously, I learned a lot through the 4 years I've been here, but most of you have been here years longer, and would most likely have a better grasp of the "soul" of a neighborhood, you know what I mean? I don't want to hear real estate agent bull****, what I want to know is how does the neighorhood jibe?
Another requirement: I require diversity. Not intra-Latin diversity, although I am 110% for this too, but diversity meaning a little bit of white, black, yellow, green, you get? Let me stress this again, because diversity is HUGE to me. I grew up in a diverse environment, and for all intents and purposes, I would like to immerse myself in a similar one here as well. And please, I'll say it again: I'm not referring to INTRA-LATIN diversity!!!
Any other suggestions/comments, I'll gladly soak in. Thank you all in advance, I hope to learn so much from all of you.

Weston is beautiful , safe and diverse ... it is approximately 45% Non Hispanic White ( many people from the NE ) 45% Hispanic to include Brazilians who are technically not Hispanic and 10% other meaning some Europeans , Asians and Indians ( Hindus ) .. note the Hispanic community is professional and well to do ... also mostly South American .. Argentina , Brazil , Colombia , Venezuela with some well off Mexicans as well ... very few Cubans ... thus no Cuban political talk 24 hours a day ... no Fidel talk , etc , etc ... very different from Miami .
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-23-2011, 06:12 PM
 
Location: Weston, FL
4,278 posts, read 6,409,213 times
Reputation: 1516
Weston is always good.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2020, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top