U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area
 [Register]
Fort Lauderdale area Broward County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2011, 05:48 PM

3,913 posts, read 8,383,163 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by vr2 View Post
No kidding. Though we have it great here in South Florida... we get the entitlement liberal voters, without at least the benefits of clean air/streets programs in more affluent liberal areas. We get all the bad and none of the good (what little good there actually is).
What exactly is an "entitlement liberal voter"?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2011, 07:34 AM

92 posts, read 426,808 times
There's a whole lot of facts stated in this thread that accurately portray the lifestyle here. I would like to add my view without taking away what has already been posted. The atmosphere here is not conducive to one aversion. The majority of people are the consumerist, live for the moment types. Then you still have space for the base people. Think of someone who knows a little about a lot versus knowing a lot about a little. Look at two cases right now: the Occupy movement and the NHL Panthers. No there isn't a massive throng going or participating, but there is a hardcore group for each. A good amount do show at first or when it becomes the "hot" thing, but it dies down to a simmer to where you only have the hardcore base left. Those majority that did come out just move on with their lives or look for the next "hot" thing. We're an event town, but we do have small bases whether it be activist types, NHL fans, chinchilla breeders etc etc etc.

Old 11-04-2011, 08:04 PM

18,094 posts, read 15,416,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nolefan34 View Post
What exactly is an "entitlement liberal voter"?
It is a broad phrase with little hard meaning. The generalized meaning is; those people who vote based upon how much entitlement they will receive from the elected official.

Basically, there is a class of voters who vote for who ever promises them entitlements, i.e WIC, EBT, Welfare, ect. Basically anything that will allow them to take the least amount of financial responsibility for their actions on an individual level.

This does not apply to just "liberals", but all types of voters as the entitlement mentality is a class of a voter in itself. Political parties in the US are not rigid in their stances (despite what they would like everyone to think), they have a wide range of view points on each side, many of which even cross into each others stereotypical view points.

Old 11-04-2011, 08:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayare20k View Post
no offense, but NSU, FIU and the like are not in the class of Stanford, UC Berkeley, NYU, Columbia, & the Ivy's...
Neither are 99% of the universities in the world.

Old 11-04-2011, 09:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruski View Post
It is kind of nice that the lack of education is stopping the spread of commie ideologies. Silver lining I guess.
I do not think education, or lack of, plays a significant role in the avocation of a command style economy.

Old 11-05-2011, 10:44 AM

37 posts, read 101,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by allenk893 View Post
WHAT?! Um, Does FAU, Nova Southeastern University, FIU, and UM ring a bell?!
I said "decent" (FAU, Nova, FIU are awful--check out USNews), and "public" (UM is not awful, it's ok I guess, but it's private)

Not all good schools are private (HYPS, etc.). There are some decent public universities: UMichigan, Cal-Berkeley, UVA, UNC-Chapel Hill, etc.

Old 11-06-2011, 09:15 AM

3,913 posts, read 8,383,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post
It is a broad phrase with little hard meaning. The generalized meaning is; those people who vote based upon how much entitlement they will receive from the elected official.

Basically, there is a class of voters who vote for who ever promises them entitlements, i.e WIC, EBT, Welfare, ect. Basically anything that will allow them to take the least amount of financial responsibility for their actions on an individual level.

This does not apply to just "liberals", but all types of voters as the entitlement mentality is a class of a voter in itself. Political parties in the US are not rigid in their stances (despite what they would like everyone to think), they have a wide range of view points on each side, many of which even cross into each others stereotypical view points.
Ok I'll vote for whoever vows to protect social security. I am ENTITLED to social security since I pay a huge chunk of every one of my paychecks into it. If that makes me an "entitlement voter" then so be it.

I'm guessing the poster who used this term is probably all for getting rid of social security which would be an economic disaster and not the right thing to do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area