Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area
 [Register]
Fort Lauderdale area Broward County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2011, 11:39 AM

3,910 posts, read 9,471,842 times

Advertisements

Fort Lauderdale of the 60's and 70's was probably completely different than today's Fort Lauderdale. I don't see any hippies at all unless you count Whole Foods. The culture of Fort Lauderdale today is much like the Miami-South Beach culture. Lots of younger clubbers, rich ppl, lawyers with money, doctors on yatchs, and women with fake knockers. It is also very thuggish here in many parts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2011, 06:23 PM

57 posts, read 165,379 times
native broward county people tend to be more conservative, in my opinion.
ideologically, if not nominally.

transplants from the northeast typically bring their political affiliations with them... especially the retirees, and of course seniors usually show up to vote.

because the youth here are more indifferent to politics than most places (in my observations, having grown up in both the bronx, ny and berkeley, ca) liberal activism is hard to find. pockets exist, typically in gay communities like wilton manors, where "hippie" neighborhood identifiers are everywhere (strong recycling initiatives, raw & organic food availability, eastern religious practices, etc).

i think education as a priority (or lack thereof) contributes to the scarcity of liberal practices in broward. also, because of the presence of the tourist industry, this area is driven by consumer culture more than most. not typically a "hippie" set of virtues.

Old 06-08-2011, 07:48 AM

7,728 posts, read 12,622,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mes271 View Post
It also occurred to me that south Fla is the only major metropolitan area in the US that I can think of that doesn't have a decent public institution of higher education. Throw in the large Latin population (which tend to be broadly "left-leaning" in the more "traditional" less radical sense) and you've got nothing resembling e.g. Portland.
WHAT?! Um, Does FAU, Nova Southeastern University, FIU, and UM ring a bell?!

Old 06-08-2011, 09:11 AM

61 posts, read 148,314 times
Default Counter cultureI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nolefan34 View Post
Fort Lauderdale of the 60's and 70's was probably completely different than today's Fort Lauderdale. I don't see any hippies at all unless you count Whole Foods. The culture of Fort Lauderdale today is much like the Miami-South Beach culture. Lots of younger clubbers, rich ppl, lawyers with money, doctors on yatchs, and women with fake knockers. It is also very thuggish here in many parts.
I certainly agree with the above assessment to a T. On the whole, I think the mentality here is too vapid to have anything like a counter-culture. It is a very boring lifestyle after awhile. Only so many malls, beaches and restaurants to go to. After awhile it gets old. Certainly, you can seek out museums or musical venues if that is your desire.

Old 06-08-2011, 05:37 PM

57 posts, read 165,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by allenk893 View Post
WHAT?! Um, Does FAU, Nova Southeastern University, FIU, and UM ring a bell?!
no offense, but NSU, FIU and the like are not in the class of Stanford, UC Berkeley, NYU, Columbia, & the Ivy's...

Old 06-09-2011, 04:23 PM

4,346 posts, read 7,828,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayare20k View Post
native broward county people tend to be more conservative, in my opinion.
ideologically, if not nominally.

transplants from the northeast typically bring their political affiliations with them... especially the retirees, and of course seniors usually show up to vote.

because the youth here are more indifferent to politics than most places (in my observations, having grown up in both the bronx, ny and berkeley, ca) liberal activism is hard to find. pockets exist, typically in gay communities like wilton manors, where "hippie" neighborhood identifiers are everywhere (strong recycling initiatives, raw & organic food availability, eastern religious practices, etc).

i think education as a priority (or lack thereof) contributes to the scarcity of liberal practices in broward. also, because of the presence of the tourist industry, this area is driven by consumer culture more than most. not typically a "hippie" set of virtues.
It is kind of nice that the lack of education is stopping the spread of commie ideologies. Silver lining I guess.

Old 06-10-2011, 08:12 AM
vr2

224 posts, read 802,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ruski View Post
It is kind of nice that the lack of education is stopping the spread of commie ideologies. Silver lining I guess.
No kidding. Though we have it great here in South Florida... we get the entitlement liberal voters, without at least the benefits of clean air/streets programs in more affluent liberal areas. We get all the bad and none of the good (what little good there actually is).

Old 06-10-2011, 02:47 PM

259 posts, read 1,324,258 times
I would suggest it depends greatly whether you are discussing an area closer to the downtown proper area or west of 95.

Wilton, Riverbend and even Vic Park residents I would not describe as particularly conformist. Maybe they don't wear tie-dye tshirts but they're not exactly button down conservative either. Although, I find Hollywood to have an even more funky look and feel than anywhere in FTL.

Not Portland or Seattle, more Haight-Ashbury or Madison, Wisconsin with palm trees.

Old 06-12-2011, 09:10 AM

3,910 posts, read 9,471,842 times
I think Broward votes Democrat because we have a large black population, large Jewish population, and many of the whites tend to come from the Northeast. White Northeasterners tend to be more liberal politically than whites from the Midwest or the South.

Old 11-03-2011, 05:06 PM

1 posts, read 2,839 times
is it impossible to be a cuban hippie living in miami who would like a stonger hippie presence in miami? what we should do is try and get a group of people who think alike and make miami a stonger base for hippies from all over to come down here and experience some of the great scenery, weather who believe in lots of peace and love and leave politics out of the experience.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area