Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area
 [Register]
Fort Lauderdale area Broward County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2011, 05:21 PM

35 posts, read 97,062 times

Advertisements

Hi Everyone,

I am moving to FL in February. I know the economy is terrible, I know its hard to find a job. I am just wondering if anyone has been able to line up a job ahead of time before they actually made the move. Odviously that would be ideal but I wont count on it. I will make sure we have plenty of money saved so that if it takes several months to find a job we will be fine. I am currently working in NJ as a Case Manager. I have BA in Psychology and have been in the field for 4 years now with children and adults with mental illnesses. I have looked on indeed.com and I did find about a dozen job listing in the Ft lauderdale area that I meet the requirements for. I just dont know if they would interview someone from out of state and how many people I will be competing against. Any thought?? Any insight or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2011, 01:00 PM

167 posts, read 875,632 times
Id say check out craigslist. I get a lot of interviews from applying on there but no jobs.. the job market here is horrible!! You should have a little more luck though since you have a degree.... Good luck to you. I know it sucks!

Old 11-01-2011, 02:10 PM

35 posts, read 97,062 times
I really want to make the move this February but I am so scared about the job market down there. A friend of mine moved to Plantation a month ago and found a job within 30 days of being there. I really hope I am find a job.

Old 11-01-2011, 02:47 PM

3,910 posts, read 9,437,911 times
It is very difficult for someone who does not live here to get a job here. Employers usually throw out resumes from other states. They don't want to waste their time on someone who does not live here and may not be available immediately for hire. You may have better luck after you move down here and change your address on your resume.

Another trick I learned is that you could rent a P.O. Box down here in Fort Lauderdale and use that address on your resume. Employers may be more likely to contact you since it appears you live here.

Take full advantage of the internet. Most jobs are advertised online only. The days of job postings in the newspaper are all but over. Visit sites like Careerbuilder, Monster, Indeed, and Craigslist daily. You may even go so far as to set up online profiles. The only downside of that is you get all of these scam artists trying to get you involved in pyramid schemes and MLM crap.

Old 11-02-2011, 09:43 AM

167 posts, read 875,632 times
Btw Ihiresecretarial is another good place to look. I just do the 7 day free trial and cancel before it charges me bc it's too expensive. Cl is the one ive had the most luck with. I don't think I've ever gotten interviews from any other sites ive used

Old 11-02-2011, 11:33 AM

Also it is better to go to the specific company's website to apply rather than applying through a 3rd party website.

Old 11-02-2011, 11:45 AM

1,336 posts, read 4,952,175 times
i would not recommend quitting a job in NJ to move to broward county with NO job. One could easily go well over a yr and not find work in south florida. The job market is never good in south florida

Old 11-02-2011, 12:21 PM

JSnFla-

I agree with you and I would expand your theory to apply to the entire state of FL. The job market has never been great in this state but was a lot better back in the 90's. Since 2000, the job market here has declined every year. My guess is due to outsourcing of jobs and a horrible rear estate market that has not recovered yet. People simply do not have the same money to spend on goods and services that they once had. FL has always been a low income state. Things have not changed much in that regard.

Old 11-02-2011, 12:29 PM

1,336 posts, read 4,952,175 times
SeminoleFan, I agree that the whole state has a terrible job market. The job market in SoFla got somewhat decent in the late 90s with the internet boom and some local startups, etc. That all crashed several yrs later. Then the job market again became artificially decent with the construction, real estate mortgage boom in the mid 2000s. Every shady scam artist in broward started a mortgage company and made decent money for a few years. All these bubbles have burst and soFla is left with what it always had, a tourist/service/retiree oriented community with a very transient sketchy workforce and a handful of major companies based in the area. Its always been rough unless u were very, very good at something or could somehow blaze your own trail

Old 11-02-2011, 01:02 PM

JSnFla-

Ok. But I think the same can be said for the rest of the state. Are you telling me Orlando's economy is not tourist/retiree oriented? What about Fort Myers, Sarasota, and Tampa?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area