U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area
 [Register]
Fort Lauderdale area Broward County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2011, 04:20 PM

3,913 posts, read 8,383,964 times

Advertisements

hurricaneman1992-

I realize that, but there are people on this board who will swear it only takes 45 minutes tops. Miami is certainly a lot closer in terms of mileage than West Palm Beach is to Weston. But they probably take around the same time when factoring in traffic.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2011, 06:18 PM

8,376 posts, read 28,561,832 times
Weston, east Kendall, and west Kendall are very distinct places. Kendall (all of it) was THE place to be in the 1980s, and over time, it became more crowded, congested, and overall it is a more chaotic place to live compared to Weston. It is probably more comparable to Pembroke Pines overall, although Pines was better planned and more of a 1990s developed area. Basically, Weston is a master-planned community with a lot of lush landscaping, gated communities, better schools, well-planned streets, nice parks and while it has your basic conveniences, it's not a busy area and is predominantly residential. East Kendall is an older area in comparison to Weston, mostly homes from the 1970s (although there are some newer ones) and this is probably the more desirable area of Kendall. It is not as "tidy" but does have more character to it then Weston. The demographics of both east Kendall and the Weston areas are actually comparable: Kendall is about 40% Anglo/"white" and Weston is about the same. In east Kendall, you will find some quiet residential streets, less "subdivisions" and more "neighborhoods", and many of the side streets are quite scenic and lined with trees. There are some very large homes in this area, and more modest ones as well, often on the same street. In Weston, homes of similar size and style tend to be clustered in the same neighborhood. Some would called it a unified look, others would call it "cookie cutter". West Kendall (west of 107th Ave) is more heavily Hispanic and has mostly "subdivison" type housing from the 1980s/1990s. It is kind of like Pembroke Pines, but not as clean or well planned and with a lot more traffic. The streets are wider, but they are filled with more traffic and strip malls, and the neighborhoods are more crowded. It is also further from the beaches, Coconut Grove, etc. There are some nice communities out there (Calusa Country Club, The Crossings, some of The Hammocks, and a few more), but others aren't as nice. Overall, West Kendall isn't a great area to live in. Pretty much every community in Weston is nice, and most every community in east Kendall is nice.

So, between Weston and east Kendall, I would say they both have their advantages and disadvantages, but west Kendall shouldn't really be considered with Weston.

Old 05-08-2011, 06:31 AM

3,913 posts, read 8,383,964 times
compelled to reply-

Couldn't have said it better than you just did. I would add that Kendall is a much larger suburb than Weston and covers a lot more area. It is very dense, has about 3X as much traffic, a lot more shopping plazas, a shopping mall (Dadeland), the metro-rail along US1, and many city buses. The roads are all in a grid pattern whereas in Weston they are more curvy. Weston is very spread out with lots of open green areas while Kendall is densely populated with few green areas other than county parks. Weston has very little shopping and no downtown or commercial districts. Weston only has Publix grocery stores and CVS and Walgreens pharmacies. There is no Target, Wal-Mart, K-Mart, Best Buy, Costco, etc. type stores in Weston. If you live in Weston, you have to drive several miles away to Sunrise or Plantation to find those types of stores.

Also, are The Hammocks considered part of Kendall? I love that area. It is beautiful. The only thing preventing me from wanting to live there is it is too far west and too far from the beach. Otherwise, The Hammocks are one of South FL's best neighborhoods.

Old 05-25-2011, 05:32 PM

176 posts, read 588,408 times
Weston is very nice. As a kid who grew up in west kenda during the 80s i can definitely agree with the idea that its like the Kendall I grew up in...that and coral springs are like throwbacks....the communities in weston are all gated with the exception of bonaventure which is in its NE quadrant (blatt blvd). Kendall is now mainly hispanic except if you live east of US 1 or south of 88 st on 79 ave....near Fuddruckers. That is mainly jewish and americanized professional hispanics. I like the latin influence in weston..and it is more along european lines....hit up the cheese course in weston's new "main street" off of bonaventure and indian trace or thereabouts...there is a pretty hotel that sits in front. It is also near I-75 which takes you to the sawgrass if you like delray/deerfield 595 for ft lauderdale beach and that is a skip from 95 if u want to visit hollywood/aventura/sunny isles which has a different european flair....continue down A1A over any of the intercoastal bridges and you see the changes from sunny isles to the end..on south beach...espanola way looks like a street in Spain. Plantation has a cool little mid town now by the courthouse where I work. Whats ironic is that broward has las vegas cuban restaurant which wont go south of mid-miami beach. Also people that have moved from w kendall to the broward suburbs are happier in 954. Being in a dade suburb can be like being stuck in a box as all of kendall's hangout places have been obliterated...Cons to Weston...gated community feel...rather whitewashed and isoated strict cops..patrolled by broward sheriff but in terms of a nice comfy suburb...you cant beat it
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area