U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area
 [Register]
Fort Lauderdale area Broward County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 05-05-2011, 02:48 PM
 
22 posts, read 66,901 times
Reputation: 20

Advertisements

I'm leaving Boston and moving to warmer climates. Money is not an issue, and I'm not pursuing work after the move.

I am gay and looking for a gayish locale, but not the white party/shirtless 24/7 scene.

I am looking for a location which offers cosmopolitan, urbane living. Think Boston or NY in the Caribbean. I DO NOT want to live in a suburb with quaint fences and barking dogs.

I've been to San Juan and South Beach. Never to Lauderdale for any length of time. My biggest concern is leaving a cultural center like Boston and finding nothing to do but hang around bars and watch television. I like being able to walk out of my unit and grab a coffee or peruse a bookstore.

I also like being around successful and intelligent people.

I'd like to hear input from locals in Lauderdale about how it compares to San Juan or Miami. I've pretty much decided that San Juan meets all my criteria, but I do have several friends in Wilton Manor. (I don't think Wilton Manor would interest me, it just seems so suburban). Thoughts, input? Muchas gracias (yes, I speak spanish).

Last edited by chucknevers; 05-05-2011 at 03:00 PM..
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 05-14-2011, 11:54 AM
 
3,368 posts, read 10,790,612 times
Reputation: 1689
Quote:
Originally Posted by chucknevers View Post
I'm leaving Boston and moving to warmer climates. Money is not an issue, and I'm not pursuing work after the move.

I am gay and looking for a gayish locale, but not the white party/shirtless 24/7 scene.

I am looking for a location which offers cosmopolitan, urbane living. Think Boston or NY in the Caribbean. I DO NOT want to live in a suburb with quaint fences and barking dogs.

I've been to San Juan and South Beach. Never to Lauderdale for any length of time. My biggest concern is leaving a cultural center like Boston and finding nothing to do but hang around bars and watch television. I like being able to walk out of my unit and grab a coffee or peruse a bookstore.

I also like being around successful and intelligent people.

I'd like to hear input from locals in Lauderdale about how it compares to San Juan or Miami. I've pretty much decided that San Juan meets all my criteria, but I do have several friends in Wilton Manor. (I don't think Wilton Manor would interest me, it just seems so suburban). Thoughts, input? Muchas gracias (yes, I speak spanish).
Do NOT, do NOT, do NOT choose San Juan. Though the Santurce section of the city has a visible gay community and there are a couple of gay-oriented establishments, "gay bashings" are quite common in Puerto Rico and public displays of affection between two men are not socially acceptable. Just last week, one of my best friends was beaten with a club by some thug in a parking garage because he was holding the hand of a guy he is dating. No, he wasn't looking for trouble, buying drugs, etc.; this is an Ivy-educated attorney that was just walking to his car and had this happen to him because he was simply holding the hand of his date. Sadly, occurrences such as that seem to happen quite frequently in San Juan.

Miami Beach/Brickell/Coconut Grove and coastal Fort Lauderdale are areas that are far more tolerant of gays. Cost of living in comparable to San Juan, jobs pay more, and the nice areas are more common than the not-so-nice areas, which is the opposite of San Juan. Feel free to PM me for more specific information, as I am from Miami and went to school in Boston.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-13-2012, 10:55 AM
 
Location: Philadelphia
5,302 posts, read 8,663,943 times
Reputation: 2136
San Juan has the warmer winters, but Miami is friendlier towards gays, and also is just more livable. I would also recommend Honolulu, LA or San Diego instead of San Juan if you want somewhere warm.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-15-2012, 11:20 AM
 
5,073 posts, read 7,916,345 times
Reputation: 8254
San Juan may have warmer winters, but it's tolerance of the LGBT community leaves much to be desired. It's not a cultural hub like Boston or NYC either...not even close IMO...

Miami...in particlar Brickell area or Coconut Grove. You'll still enjoy the warm winters and its more cosmopolitan and just nicer than San Juan is. . .
AND a big one for you....it's a lot more tolerant of the LGBTs. No one will even bat an eye lash. Fort Lauderdale is very tolerant as well. . . but not quite as cosmopolitan....it's just not as big as Miami... Check it out tho, it's only 20-30 mins from Miami....so climatically speaking, they're pretty much the same.

ANYTHING will be better than a Boston winter.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-15-2012, 05:38 PM
 
153 posts, read 304,631 times
Reputation: 74
I would hardly call Wilton Manors suburban. It has a vibrant downtown area that is populated almost entirely by the LGBT population. It is adjacent to Fort Lauderdale, which is not a suburban city in any way. The East Fort Lauderdale area is a great, diverse area: full of young professionals, families, singles, and LGBT.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-16-2012, 10:20 AM
 
5,073 posts, read 7,916,345 times
Reputation: 8254
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thor88 View Post
I would hardly call Wilton Manors suburban. It has a vibrant downtown area that is populated almost entirely by the LGBT population. It is adjacent to Fort Lauderdale, which is not a suburban city in any way. The East Fort Lauderdale area is a great, diverse area: full of young professionals, families, singles, and LGBT.
It's so funny how people perceive things differently, because I think Wilton is quite suburban feeling. All low-density low-rise buildings for the most part---- downtown Wilton consists of strip centers and suburban, single family housing with apartment complexes mixed in....Fort lauderdale has a suburban feel to it big time.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-17-2012, 07:32 AM
 
153 posts, read 304,631 times
Reputation: 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by OptimusPrime69 View Post
It's so funny how people perceive things differently, because I think Wilton is quite suburban feeling. All low-density low-rise buildings for the most part---- downtown Wilton consists of strip centers and suburban, single family housing with apartment complexes mixed in....Fort lauderdale has a suburban feel to it big time.

If you're comparing Fort Lauderdale and Wilton Manors to Manhattan, then sure, they are both suburban. When viewed via a South Florida vacuum, however, there is no way FTL and WM are suburban. Especially when compared to cities like Coral Springs, Parkland, Davie, etc.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-30-2013, 04:05 PM
 
147 posts, read 238,145 times
Reputation: 89
I would recommend Wilton Manors or Miami Beach. But don't bother with San Juan. It's not gay and it's just not "cool".
Miami is far more international and cosmopolitan and you'll find it exciting. Good Luck!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-01-2013, 06:02 AM
 
Location: Jupiter
1,108 posts, read 3,832,077 times
Reputation: 631
Thumbs down Homicide Rate

Before you consider San Juan...Goggle the Homicide Rate there......one of my former co-workers has family there and went down for a visit earlier this year...when she came back she told everyone that there is an average of 25 Homicide's a weekend......is this really a place you want to move to...

I would definitely choose Miami or Fort Lauderdale...
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-02-2013, 07:51 AM
 
5,073 posts, read 7,916,345 times
Reputation: 8254
Boston to San Juan? Hunni, u can't be serious.
You're better off in Miami/Fort Lauderdale.
More first world cultural opportunities. More ethnic diversity in south FL, more access to Boston and back home. More coffee shops, book stores, more gay bars, more life-options in general. San Juan... not so much
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 02:39 PM.

© 2005-2020, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top